Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin area BBQ

Options
2»

Comments

• platypusrex
    Options
    I had Freedmen's BBQ yesterday for the first time, it was really good. I had a sliced brisket sandwich, baked beans, sausage, and the smoked banana pudding for dessert.

The brisket has a great bark, great flavor, and the only think keeping it from Franklin level IMO was it was not extra moist, but still moist. That said they have a great sauce made from bone stock, I used it sparingly. The beans have brisket in them, and plenty of beer in the sauce. A buddy of mine really liked the slaw, it is not mayo-based, a bit of vinegar and other flavors, real creative.

The dessert was crazy good, they bake their vanilla wafers fresh every morning so they were actually crispy crunchy, real cream, fresh bananas... but $6.50. The lunch special is $11, a sandwich, side, and a beer, so that's a good deal. We ordered sausage on the side, they make it there and it was beefy, with just a touch of jalapeno warmth, real nice.

I'm going back for sure. Brisket is $19/lb. if you want. The building has great history, and they have a nice outdoor area. We got there at 11:40 on a Tuesday and had no wait.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    As an Austinite I think of each BBQ place as having a really good something and the rest is just meh..

I thought Muellers was ok
    City Market Luling- Brisket
    Stiles Switch- Jalapeno Sausage
    County Line- Beef Rib
    Rudys- Turkey

Went to County Line for lunch today- portions were terrible, brisket was mush, turkey was ok.
    Tomorrow I will be at Stile Switch to make sure its still good.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    jimithing said:
    Saltlick is kinda meh IMO.  I understand that they actually cook their meats in a gas smoker in the back and then just finish them on the open pit for show.  It's a cool place to go hang out and shoot the sh!t on their patio but don't expect BBQ heaven.

Back in the late 70's before Saltlick got "popular", they were really good and they DID cook it on the pit. Loved the "family style" service.
  • pikeman
    pikeman Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, Salt Lick also cooks the meat ahead and refrigerates it. There is nothing fresh about that! It's all a show. 
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    When we lived down there, we always went to Black's in Lockhart if were buying instead of smoking. I guess they have an Austin location now, but never been to it. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    As an Austinite I think of each BBQ place as having a really good something and the rest is just meh..

I thought Muellers was ok
    City Market Luling- Brisket
    Stiles Switch- Jalapeno Sausage
    County Line- Beef Rib
    Rudys- Turkey

Went to County Line for lunch today- portions were terrible, brisket was mush, turkey was ok.
    Tomorrow I will be at Stile Switch to make sure its still good.
    I liked the sausage at County Line and the lake location has a nice view. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle