Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat Deflector

Options
I'm thinking of using a large oval shaped aluminum basting pan as a heat deflector.  My grate will sit on top of the fire ring, the oval basting pan will sit on the grate, then my cast iron grate will sit above that slightly above felt height.  Will this work on long indirect cooks for ribs, shoulders ext.  I would place the ribs facing the same direction as the oval basting pan.  I'm trying to prevent the ends of ribs from burning up, and I'm a cheap a**

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    that will work fine
    Calculate how much meat you have already burnt, why not pop for the $70 Conveggtor?  Cheap guys waste money  while trying to save money. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive done that many times, problem is that now you have a pan to clean. do this with fire bricks and you have a raised grid for direct cooking, lay some flat between those bricks and you have an indirect setup. theres alot of ways to set up an egg with just cheap firebricks and a couple of grids
    IMG_1839jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Options
    Calculate how much meat you have already burnt, why not pop for the $70 Conveggtor?  Cheap guys waste money  while trying to save money. IMO

The plate setter is the issue with its large gaps that allow hot spots.  I plan on picking up some fire bricks to play with as well. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Make sure the basting pan isn't too big where it cuts off the heat around it. My turkey pan cuts off too much of the heat that makes cooking a turkey near impossible with it in. The temperature won't rise because of the size and air flow issue
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    scmoose said:

The plate setter is the issue with its large gaps that allow hot spots.  I plan on picking up some fire bricks to play with as well. 
    We use an oversized disposable drip pan that increases the "protected" are in both the Large and XLarge BGE's.  OP's proposed idea can work, but you will need some mass in the pan (IMO) liquid or sand could work.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    ive done that many times, problem is that now you have a pan to clean. do this with fire bricks and you have a raised grid for direct cooking, lay some flat between those bricks and you have an indirect setup. theres alot of ways to set up an egg with just cheap firebricks and a couple of grids
    IMG_1839jpg

Mike - I said to myself..."self, that there picture sure looks familiar...I wonder why?" LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • scmoose
    Options
    This is what Ive got so far.  I think I will use a thinner brick on the sides to improve air flow though. 
  • RRP
    Options
    scmoose said:
    This is what Ive got so far.  I think I will use a thinner brick on the sides to improve air flow though. 
    Yes - firebrick will work easier for you as the ones I use, pictured above, are 9 x 4.5 x 1.25. I bought 6 for $10 15 years ago and that is a lifetime purchase as I still have 4 left in storage! The other advantage is air flow, plus less likelihood one or both of those full bricks in your picture might tumble off the narrow fire ring edge and crack either the ring or the firebox itself.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Double or triple the pans (for added strength) and you could lose the bricks all together.  This the same pans we use, nice choice.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Padre_Jorge
    Options
    I use a similar setup with a 16 inch terracotta planter dish wrapped in aluminum foil and a drip pan in the dish with the second grate at felt level. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I cut firebrick in HALF and prop up the grate like THIS:    Still plenty of room for a plate setter with a drip pan.  OR take advantage of the additional distance from the fire AND being higher in the dome.  
    3rd brick NOT shown.   
  • scmoose
    Options
    Those are fire bricks in the pic.  The brick factory down the road from me only had the regular shaped ones.  They are sittring on the lower grate so they wont fall on.  Regardless im on the hunt for the skinnier bricks.  Thanks for tbe replies.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP said:
    IMG_1839jpg

Mike - I said to myself..."self, that there picture sure looks familiar...I wonder why?" LOL

when i googled the image (just gave up on my pb account) i said to myself that only ron would have a gasket that clean =) everything is clean in that pic, grids, gasket, even the firebox, definitely cant be mistaken for one of my eggs ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @scmoose ... go to Menard's (or a similar big box store) and ask for fire bricks ... they're not where you expect them in the store.  Failing that, check out Ace Hardware for "Rutland Replacement Fire Brick" with free in store pickup ... don't understand the replacement part though. 

Hmmm maybe @RRP could buy in bulk and offer them at cost with free shipping as an aid to the egging world ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    @scmoose ... go to Menard's (or a similar big box store) and ask for fire bricks ... they're not where you expect them in the store.  Failing that, check out Ace Hardware for "Rutland Replacement Fire Brick" with free in store pickup ... don't understand the replacement part though. 

Hmmm maybe @RRP could buy in bulk and offer them at cost with free shipping as an aid to the egging world ...

LOL - yes - at Menard's they are in the area with ductwork etc, not with the other brick. BTW over the years I have bought and given away at least 6 to new eggers as "egg warming" gifts! but never mailed them!