Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lollipop Lamb Chops - Need a fail safe recipe

Options
Tier1Terrier
Tier1Terrier Posts: 129
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum

I need a fail safe recipe for lollipop lamb chops.  The wife has specifically requested that I conjure these up for the weekend so I am seeking help from the hive.  I will probably be buying them at Costco but I forget if they come already individually pieced or as one rack.  What would be the best way to prepare them either individually or as a rack? Methods please.

Oh, and please no 'Sous Vide' recommendations.  My wife is at her limits with my new Egg obsession.  There's no way I'm bringing 'Sous Vide' into this house for the forseable future  lol

Thanks in advance!

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Costco has them as single rack, about 8 chops.  Sam's sells them in two rack packages, priced a little better usually.

Lots of ways to do them, you can overshoot with single chops pretty easily but you get two sides of char which can be good. I usually cut into two chop segments and reverse sear to a nice rare/med rare and then slice into single chops.

@henapple has posted lots of these with some really creative coatings and sauces.  Search the forum.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Legume said:
    Costco has them as single rack, about 8 chops.  Sam's sells them in two rack packages, priced a little better usually.

Lots of ways to do them, you can overshoot with single chops pretty easily but you get two sides of char which can be good. I usually cut into two chop segments and reverse sear to a nice rare/med rare and then slice into single chops.

@henapple has posted lots of these with some really creative coatings and sauces.  Search the forum.

Thanks, @Legume.

I'm considering doing them either way.  If cutting them into single chops, you think maybe 1 minute per side over direct high heat ought to be enough for medium doneness?

And say I want to do a reverse sear on two equal half chops (say 4 bones a piece), could you give me an idea of how to get that done?  Would you go indirect at 350f until what internal temp?  Then how much increase in doneness is achieved when doing the sear?  We'd be going for a medium doneness overall when complete.

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One of my favorites on any grill is  Greek Style lamb chops. If you can find a butcher that can sell you double cut chops that would be great. Have fat removed from the bones which reduces flare ups and is better for presentation. 
    Marinate the chops by brushing olive oil on each side and use Cavenders Greek seasoning. Marinate for a few hours. 
    I use the direct sear method at 550-600 degrees. 3 minute sear than flip for 2 more. Shut down the vents to the minimum settings for another 2 minutes. 
    Just before removing the chops squeeze a lemon over the chops.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I regularly get the whole racks from Costco, and I always cook them as a rack and cut them afterward.  Much less risk of going much above rare that way.  They come out great.
    NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I know true lamb lovers will cringe but I trim almost all fat. Cavenders Greek seasoning is nice but I have liked almost every seasoning I have tried.
    Just don't over cook and I would not try and cook a single one bone chop if we are talking lamp pops.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to leave the fat cap intact for the crispy side.  Also usually wrap the legs as I burnt some years ago to nothing and never forgot.  If you prefer lots of cooked ends cut them into pairs and the outside is more eggsposed. anyway is a delight serve with mint jelly and/or chutney.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1334188&catid=1 
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I know true lamb lovers will cringe but I trim almost all fat. Cavenders Greek seasoning is nice but I have liked almost every seasoning I have tried.
    Just don't over cook and I would not try and cook a single one bone chop if we are talking lamp pops.

Those look perfect. Would you mind sharing with me your cook method? 

I I see you cooked direct over the coals. About how long did you leave on each side?

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like them on the rare side so I would cook as a whole rack and then slice into individual pops for serving.  If you want more crust then I like the suggestion of cooking at least 2 chops at a time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    whole roast for the pops, if you want individual get the center cut tbone chops, those are pure candy.  salt and zatar seasoning for me, high heat for some lamb char, not past medium rare.  leg of lamb for kabobs. you cant go wrong with any of those unless you overcook it. the butterflied leg of lamb has been fairly inexpensive lately for some reason, its a bargain compared to beef
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    We get them from Costco and love them. We cook them as whole rack rubbed with EVOO and DP Redeye Express raised indirect at 250* to internal temp of 118. Remove, get Egg to 500* direct and sear 1 minute per side. Total time including rest before sear about 50-60 minutes. I sear low on cast iron grid on spider.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Tier1Terrier... I've done whole racks and cut. I prefer the rack whole. I coat in butter and blackberry jam and then roll in a bread crumb/crushed pecan mix. Season before. I like low and slow reverse sear. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options

Thanks for the replies.  For those who recommend reverse searing a whole rack (8 pieces) or even half a rack at a time, PRIOR TO searing, do you use a remote temperature probe and leave it in while cooking with the dome down until you get to your desired IT or do you open and check periodically with an instant read thermometer?

Also, about how many degrees or level of doneness do you increase when you move to the searing process?  In other words, if I want a 'medium' doneness at completion (say 135f), at what level of doneness do I want to cook the lamb up to before I begin the searing process?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I check periodically vs a probe.  Depends on how much crust you want and how thick the meat is - for lamb I would pull at no more than 120, set aside on a RACK on a plate, not just a plate (baking rack works fine).  Then heat up the egg for the sear, the lamb will come up 5 degrees or so in the middle sitting there, the outside will drop a little and then you have a little more room to play with to get your crust.  Temps can move quickly on small cuts like a lamb rack and it will come up more when you take it off of the sear, so of you want to finish at 135, pull at 130ish.