Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seafood ABTs

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made some ABTs last night with some huge jalapenos. I stuffed them with a raw shrimp and cream cheese, wrapped with bacon and dusted with Tsunami Spin. Dang they were good! -RP

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AZRP,
    i've done sweet abt's. . ..taken large bell peppers (quartered) or other sweet banana peppers (halved). ...stuffed with a combination of cream cheese and crab meat, sprinkled with some dizzy raging river, then wrapped in prociutto. . ..dang good eating. .. .

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Do you guys turn your ABT's when cooking? I turned mine over and on mosts of them, the cream cheese started falling out as it was so melted.[p]Gwen
  • AZRP
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I did the ones last night direct on a raised grid and I turned them after about 20 minutes. One of them dropped about a quarter of its cheese, the rest were fine. I think I'm going to do them indirect next time with a drip pan. The greese from the bacon made for some nasty smelling smoke, and indirect I don't have to turn them. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AZRP,
    yep yep yep. i feel i'm scrilegious when i do crabmeat that way. i like the pulled-pork ABTs, but i think i like the crab even better.[p](apologes to the BBQ gods)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I will be teaching a class on ABT's at the Texas Eggfest University this weekend. Mine will be the traditional kind but with emphasis on individual experimentation with all kinds of ingredients and cooking techniques.[p]One of the things I learned early on is to freeze the Little Smokey cocktail sausages I use in my ABT's. The reason is simple, since the only thing that actually needs cooking is the bacon the cold sausages keeps the cream cheese from melting too soon while the bacon cooks.[p]Also, someone mentioned sticking a sliver of habanero pepper in with the ABT. I did and it really adds a new dimension to flavor while giving it a nice kick.[p]Finally, if you toothpick your bacon in two places (even three for very large jalapenos) you can slice them into small, bite-size pieces that are easier to handle without the cream cheese squirting out. [p]Spring "Fix'n A Couple Of ABT's For Lunch" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• AZRP
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    They had a lot of different peppers at the store and I thought about trying some Anaheims or bannannas. Have you tried any others? -RP

• AZRP
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I like the habanero idea, the one thing missing was heat. -RP

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Here is another spin to get the heat back. Save some of the pepper's seeds and membranes and mix them into the cream cheese. It gives the kick back to the ABT. bigarms

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    AZRP,
    One of the things I love most about this forum. It's a constant source of new ideas and new takes on old ideas. That sounds yummay.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    bigarms,
    80% of the heat is in the membranes, so if the seeds look unsightly, you can leave them out.... just scrape out the seed and you'll still have most of the heat[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hayhonker,
    here's a pic of some crab/creamcheese/raging river stuffed peppers wrapped in prociutto. . ..then cooked on grid over inverted plate setter at 325 degrees for about an hour. ..[p]DSCN0444.jpg

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    well there goes another keyboard. ruined by drool. what an excellent, focused, crisp, delicious picture that is. thanks Max :)

• Dublin Dawg
    Dublin Dawg Posts: 96
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Is the recipe for these posted somewhere?

• AZRP
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That sure looks like it's ready to meet some judges. -RP

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    not really ... so here it is. ...[p]l lb. crab meat, picked clean of any shell (preferably lump and/or backfin)
    1 brick of cream cheese. . .[p]shred the crab meat and mix well with the cream cheese. . .[p]cut sweet peppers (orange/yellow/red bell peppers or banana peppers) into quarters or thirds so that you have 'troughs'. [p]stuff the peppers with the crab cream cheese mixture. ..[p]sprinkle some raging river rub on them (not a lot, just as a seasoning. . .[p]wrap them in thin slices of prociutto[p]put in 325 degree egg on grid set over inverted plate setter. . give them about 50 minutes to an hour .. [p]
    pull and eat. . . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AZRP,
    turned them in as an "anything butt" at new holland a couple of years ago, before we figured out the judges like desserts. . .they finished in about the middle of the pack. ..

• ttbq
    ttbq Posts: 39
    Options
    RP,
    Here's a question - do you use both jalapeno halves, or make them with just a half (plus cream cheese and meat filling surrounded by bacon) - I've done them both ways, the halves ooze a little more cream cheese but go farther with a crowd.[p]Made some on Sunday and they were good but as usual your sound better...I just need to keep practicing[p]Ted