Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

an Egret ham on October 4th??? October 4th is not Easter!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
No It's not Easter - it's the fact that Kroger had this Cook's brand shank on sale for $.99 a pound! This 11 pounder means many great meals in our future as it reheats well, freezes and again reheats well and makes many pints of my bodacious ham and bean soup! BTW here it is in my porcupine stage which then keeps the Saran Wrap off overnight just like tent poles keeps the tent up!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Ron:

Anytime is a good time for an Egret ham!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That picture reminds me of the episode that macgyver reconstructed a face with pencil erasers and putty. Weird how the memory works. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    Options
    ooops, I forgot the tent picture!

• RRP
    Options
    SSN686 said:

Morning Ron:

Anytime is a good time for an Egret ham!

I agree, Jay! You know what really drove home this concept? The day before I bought that 11 pound ham I had bought 1 pound of Boars Head ham slices for sandwiches which I separate with waxed paper and freeze. That way we can pull out however many slices for whatever type sandwiches. But then it hit me...1 pound Boars Head sliced = 11 pounds for an Egret ham! Kind of a no brainer, huh?
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I thought you had discovered acupuncture for ham!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking ham for sure. For both the record and clarity, everyday is a good day for ham =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Trixie_Belle
    Options
    I can't wait to try this!
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I can attest that an Egret ham is mighty tasty. Looking forward to the finish.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Mmmm, ham & bean soup...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's hands down the worlds best Ham! and I sure hope he brings one to the Mini Fest in FL. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    Options
    All I can say is the piggy who grew this must have been treated right! This ham was wonderful!!!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Okay, dumb question: I've not heard of an "Egret" ham, I checked for it in Amazon's Grocery section and got two necklaces and a tennis shoe.  Then looking at Ron's original post, I see a different brand name.
    So, what's an "egret" ham?   :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks fantastic Ron. Nicely Done!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    Okay, dumb question: I've not heard of an "Egret" ham, I checked for it in Amazon's Grocery section and got two necklaces and a tennis shoe.  Then looking at Ron's original post, I see a different brand name.
    LOL - It is a terrific ham that is injected with maple syrup and then has a wet glaze of more syrup, mustard, whiskey and some other ingredients. Here's a link to this very popular ham recipe. ENJOY!
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1407
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Botch said:
    LOL - It is a terrific ham that is injected with maple syrup and then has a wet glaze of more syrup, mustard, whiskey and some other ingredients. Here's a link to this very popular ham recipe. ENJOY!
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1407
    The only exception I take to that recipe is I can't put a 11 pound ham on my grill with the PS legs up cause the dome thermometer will impale the ham or get bent doing so. Instead I use my foil wrapped PS plus 3 foil wrapped green feet and then place a 12" auxiliary grill on the feet. Let me post a picture to make more sense!

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @RRP ... Use a NONspiral sliced ham.... correct?
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • RRP
    Options
    Durangler said:
    @RRP ... Use a NONspiral sliced ham.... correct?
    That's correct though some people have tried to inject a spiral cut only to have it run out and then wonder why!  =) OTOH I have read where guys will painstakingly try to squirt some syrup in between the slices! To me a solid bone in ham is the best!

• RRP
    edited October 2015
    Options

RRP said:

The only exception I take to that recipe is I can't put a 11 pound ham on my grill with the PS legs up cause the dome thermometer will impale the ham or get bent doing so. Instead I use my foil wrapped PS plus 3 foil wrapped green feet and then place a 12" auxiliary grill on the feet. Let me post a picture to make more sense!

Note how even with the cut face down the hickory wood I used smoked the ham nicely.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Thanks Ron.
    The recipe is saved. 
    I'll do this with my next ham cook
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks great buddy.  Have used your toothpick trick, great tip!
    Wanting to "egret" a Kretschmar Ham from Schnucks next weekend for my uncle who was recently diagnosed with stage IV cancer.  Heard their hams are great.  
    Will probably be the last time I camp/cook/fish with him.  He requested a ham last year when he pulled my camper out several times before I had a tow vehicle.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Looks great, I am doing two this Friday for a big dinner at our place.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    looks good from here =) noticed friday aldi's had the hams in stock again, will be picking one up this week, ive had really good luck with those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited October 2015
    Options
    -deleted-
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • RRP
    Options
    -deleted-
     Don't go away mad  =)
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    RRP said:
    -deleted-
     Don't go away mad  =)
    haha, I searched all over this site for the @Egret ham recipe. So I asked for a link to it. After posting the question, I promptly scrolled up and saw the link.

Fail.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:

RRP said:

Note how even with the cut face down the hickory wood I used smoked the ham nicely.

I know this is an old post but I plan on trying this recipe Saturday.  Plane to inject and get it ready on Friday.  I noticed the Green Eggers link you gave showed using apple/cherry chunks.  Looks like you used hickory.  Does it really matter what type of wood to use for this, or is there a reason you chose hickory?  Thanks @RRP

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    Options
    I barely remember last weekend so I can't say exactly why I used hickory, other than knowing I always have lots of hickory chunks on hand and may have been short on apple or cherry back then. Ham can handily shine with the stronger hickory smoke, while apple, cherry and even pecan lay on a more delicate sweeter taste. Use what you have on hand, but to me I never use mesquite - hate that stuff! 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:
    I barely remember last weekend so I can't say exactly why I used hickory, other than knowing I always have lots of hickory chunks on hand and may have been short on apple or cherry back then. Ham can handily shine with the stronger hickory smoke, while apple, cherry and even pecan lay on a more delicate sweeter taste. Use what you have on hand, but to me I never use mesquite - hate that stuff! 

I agree with all that, thanks!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015