Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Thermometer Problems!

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I installed my new genuine BGE thermometer - the structure was different - the old one had a glass face with the little red indicator that slid around the top. The new one had no indicator and had a plastic face - price of new thermometer was $17.95[p]1.5 inch pork chops on the grill – 4 minutes on each side at 500 degrees followed by a nine minute slow down - after the 1st 4 minutes I opened the dome, flipped the chops and then closed the dome – off pops the face of the new dome thermometer – anyone else experienced similar problems? If yes, is the thermometer still good? If yes, what will keep the moisture out? [p]Thanks for your response. BTW – the old version seems to be made a lot better – glass vs plastic - Just my thoughts![p]BTW - pork chops were great! After the pop-off, I made an educated guess.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I have used the older model thermometer for more than 3 years on my large and almost 3 years on the small. The red paint eventually wore off the pointers (making it useless) and I took to turning the gauge so that the needle points straight up when indicating the cooking temp I wanted to use as it was easy to see.[p]I got the new gauge with the purchase of the mini. I don't use the clip to hold the gauge in place and have swapped gauges many times on many cooks on the three Eggs. I like the new gauge as it reacts quicker to temperature changes (doesn't require the flick of a fingernail on it to see the change).[p]The large and small Eggs reside on an open deck under BGE covers. The mini is a house guest.[p]I can't say how much the new gauge has been exposed to the elements, but can say it has weathered well.[p]Spin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Gfw,
    First of all, Welcome Back from California!
    I recently purhased a backup thermometer from Crocker's for the same price since my other two also are filled with water, even in spite of the silicone treatments. They all calibrate the same 212° so I'm going to trust them, but it's like looking at pool's bottom through goggles! Personally, if I were you I'd take that one back tomorrow for a replacement, but I know you'll just get another like the last, but hey, what's right is right! I was looking at some other brands at Bed Bath and Beyond with no luck, but I know when I find one that looks like it can take a simple shower without filling with water then I will quit throwing away $17.95 for what is an inferior "official unit" that's for sure!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spin
    Options
    RRP,[p]I suggest you set the wetted gauge inside the Egg as it cools down from a cook. It will dry out and you will then be able to see the needle.[p]If you really have a problem with reading any dome gauge, I suggest you replace the dome gauge with a polder type temperature gauge. You then can shield the readout from the weather.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm1.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]I like the old thermometer better - that's for sure. The new one has a plastic face and it will deform when hot! I put mine in a small toaster oven to try to remove the moistue inside the face. Even at 200 deg the face deformed badly - and it popped off. The thermometer still works but is very fragile with the face off. [p]I made some suggestions to BGE. I strongly suggest anyone who get their Eggs hot (500-700 deg) should add a spacer of some sort behind the thermometer and the dome so the face of the thermometer is not resting on the dome. I think this is heating up the plastic faces and allowing moisture to enter. The spacer helps keep it from getting too hot. The old thermometer with the faded red pointer has a glass face and after 2 years - its may go back into service again.[p]Here is a picture of the spacers I use - made from a small strip of aluminum formed into a U shape. This is also the thermometer I ruined when I tried to dry out the moisture under the plastic face in the oven - don't try it![p]Tim

• Gfw,[p]I've gone through two of the new ones. The first time while searing a steak, the crystal popped off and landed a good 4 feet from the Egg, it looked like a cartoon.[p]I've heard that Trend makes a good thermo. I know they supply Kamado. I'm planning on replacing mine with one the next time it fails.

• Spin
    Options
    Tim M,[p]"I like the old thermometer better - that's for sure. The new one has a plastic face and it will deform when hot! I put mine in a small toaster oven to try to remove the moistue inside the face. Even at 200 deg the face deformed badly - and it popped off. The thermometer still works but is very fragile with the face off."[p]Even a small toaster oven has the ability to generate more than enough direct heat to melt plastic. The fact is that the outside of the BGE dome (where the gauge is intended to be located) is always a lot cooler.[p]"I made some suggestions to BGE. I strongly suggest anyone who get their Eggs hot (500-700 deg) should add a spacer
    of some sort behind the thermometer and the dome so the face of the thermometer is not resting on the dome. I think
    this is heating up the plastic faces and allowing moisture to enter. The spacer helps keep it from getting too hot. The
    old thermometer with the faded red pointer has a glass face and after 2 years - its may go back into service again."[p]I don't have the access to BGE you have and must state I have not made any suggestions to BGE. I strongly suggest that your advice is quite simply wrong. I have done many a cook in the 500-650°F range using the new gauge and can report no problems. The mechanics of the gauge are outside the Egg. [p]Don't confuse a moisture problem with the heat of the Egg.[p]"Here is a picture of the spacers I use - made from a small strip of aluminum formed into a U shape. This is also the
    thermometer I ruined when I tried to dry out the moisture under the plastic face in the oven - don't try it!"[p]
    Spin[p]