Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iDevices iGrill2

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
http://http//www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC4KU42/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1K46DZ52ZVYCEX3THFDA&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I did a forum search, no one's posted about this before.  Consumer Reports just rated the "oven" version (accomodates two probes, not four) very highly and it's only $65 right now.  I need a replacement for my Maverick (I will not be getting another one of those) and this looked like it'd fit the bill.
Anyone use one?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I have one and like it a lot.  

The he only real issue with it is range. I have a small house and it isn't an issue with me.  But others have commented that they lose connectivity.

side note: forget what they advertise. (80-100 ft....yea right).  Normal Bluetooth range is the standard here. About 30 ft, but works through walls just fine.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Botch
    Options
    Thanks much, Johnny!  Yeah, I saw in Amazon's comments section that some folks had range problems.
    Unfortunately I also learned that, while it is Wifi, it only works with iOS and not OS X; I don't have any iDevices, just my Macbook Air.  So, this won't do any more than my current Polder thermometer.

Unless, someone wants to buy me an iPhone?   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Botch - it isn't wi-fi, it's Bluetooth.  That's why there are range issues.  It also does work with Android devices; here is the compatibility page:

http://idevicesinc.com/compatibility/

EDIT - I thought your post referenced the IGrill 2 (I couldn't get the link you posted to open). But I think my comments are still valid for this model.
    New Orleans LA
  • Botch
    Options
    Ah, thanks for the correction; I'm a bit of a luddite.  

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I use the minis because they didn't have the 2 up when I needed it!  I really like these units a lot. 

Only advice ice is to keep them dry. The probes and device are not waterproof. A simple ziplock will suffice. Or you can build the boxes from the shoebox-style containers with pass-thru connectors. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    I use the igrill 2 to monitor temp on my large........my only regret is that I didn't buy two extra probes.......I've had no problems with the unit .......most of the cooks I do require probe temps for whatever protein we're having.......so temp at the grid isn't that important right now.......but capacity to read 4 temps remotely would be nice.....having a fall get together at our place soon,  so reading temps on 2-4 buts would be very nice indeed.......yes, the Bluetooth works fine.......it is a plus for me to be able to check IT's without having to go to the egg.......good luck with your choice ....
    Berlin, Maryland
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I have the iGrill 2 & iGrill Mini, love both of them. Not sure what the range issues are, I've been able to walk 90' away from mine through my house and stay connected however I did that just to see how far it would go. I'm typically 30' - 50' away with no problem. 
  • Botch
    Options
    Dondgc said:
     (I couldn't get the link you posted to open). 
    I can't either now, but I noticed the price dropped from $98 to $85 since this morning, probably a new link now.  

• Smokehouse33
    Options
    I love my igrill 2. I bought the ambient probe to monitor my grill temps. I love it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I ordered a maverick last night then tried to cancel the order to get the Igrill but they wouldn't let me. Gonna return it and get the Igrill the reviews are better.
  • Botch
    Options
    Lit said:
    I ordered a maverick last night then tried to cancel the order to get the Igrill but they wouldn't let me. Gonna return it and get the Igrill the reviews are better.
    Probably a good move, as long as you have an iThing or Android to monitor.  One probe on my Maverick quit working, bought a new set and learned the fault was inside the unit.  They are not intuitive to program, either.   

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Went thru a lot of probes last few years with the wireless Weber monitors.  Bought a Mini last winter ($39.95) and used all this season. Still has 80% battery life, which is amazing considering how much I use it. One of my friends has one w/4 probes and swears by it.  It matches my Thermapen within 1 degree!
  • K_Rock
    K_Rock Posts: 16
    Options
    Love my iGrill 2 also. As others have mentioned - Bluetooth range isn't as great as they advertise but is still very decent. Also, their customer service has been excellent. I had issues with my ambient probe after 6 months - sent them an email and they shipped a replacement that day with no questions asked!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    I have one and like it a lot.  

The he only real issue with it is range. I have a small house and it isn't an issue with me.  But others have commented that they lose connectivity.

side note: forget what they advertise. (80-100 ft....yea right).  Normal Bluetooth range is the standard here. About 30 ft, but works through walls just fine.
    I get a good signal from 80-100ft - in the open. I have no problems with the signal from the egg to inside my house (one cement block wall). I did have some issues with the signal losing connection but it would re-establish itself right away. That issue was two iOS versions ago - I think the issue may have been more of an iOS issue than the device causing the problem.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    The iGrill2 app also works with the Apple Watch, which will maintain contact with your phone on the same wifi network. This basically extends the range of the iGrill2 to that of your wifi network. I leave my phone close to the iGrill2 and check temps on my watch anywhere I am within my wifi range. Makes it much more useful.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    The iGrill2 app also works with the Apple Watch, which will maintain contact with your phone on the same wifi network. This basically extends the range of the iGrill2 to that of your wifi network. I leave my phone close to the iGrill2 and check temps on my watch anywhere I am within my wifi range. Makes it much more useful.

I need to show this to my wife.....  I need an Apple Watch now!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Lit
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

Could I do this with 2 iPhones?
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I just got one a little over a week ago and used it over the weekend. It works absolutely fine, I haven't had any connection issues with it. The only problem I've had is that the clip for the ambient probe is pretty loose on the grill. I might have to modify it a bit to get it to sit right and not worry about it coming off and giving me a bad reading.

Other than that it's great. I can walk all over my house and still have a connection.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • NCSmoky
    Options
    Lit said:

Could I do this with 2 iPhones?
    You can only pair the iGrill2 to 1 phone at a time and as far as I know you cannot extend the range of one iPhone with another.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Ok, some nerd, er engineer out there, needs to come up with a Bluetooth repeater / extender/bridge to wifi!

• Lit
    Options
    Has anyone tried the bbqguru alligator probe temps on the Igrill probes?
  • NCSmoky
    Options
    Ok, some nerd, er engineer out there, needs to come up with a Bluetooth repeater / extender/bridge to wifi!
    That is what the Apple Watch is doing. iGrill2 bt to iPhone bt to Apple Watch bt( unless watch and iPhone are on same wifi network then wifi) .
  • Dondgc
    Options
    @NCSmoky - While you are certainly correct, I think @DaveRichardson meant a "Bluetooth bridge that doesn't cost $700+" :)
    New Orleans LA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Yes, something like a standalone router or range extender that you add to your home network!

• NCSmoky
    Options
    I was just trying to help @DaveRichardson sell it to the wife  =) Entry price for the Apple Watch is $350, $700 is for the ss models which I would never plunk down on a gen1 Apple product. Neat little device that will probably be fleshed out in rev 3 or 4.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Lit said:
    @Lit they make a probe tree that is far better to work with. It's heat resistant silicone or something. I recommend it over the aligator clips. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    @Lit they make a probe tree that is far better to work with. It's heat resistant silicone or something. I recommend it over the aligator clips. 
    I devices makes it or guru? Just ordered my Igrill2
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    I devices makes it or guru? Just ordered my Igrill2
    Guru. 
  • Lit
    Options
    @pgprescott thanks looks interesting. Does anyone know if I need to buy an ambient probe or can I just use the ones that come within to monitor pit temp?
  • Dondgc
    Options
    Lit said:
    @pgprescott thanks looks interesting. Does anyone know if I need to buy an ambient probe or can I just use the ones that come within to monitor pit temp?
    Although I do not have one, I gave my friend who does a tip from this forum - to just shove one of the food probes through a lemon and set it on the grate for ambient.  He did and said it worked fine.
    New Orleans LA