Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Seafood Boil. Dixie Style.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
Got lucky today and don't have to go in to work until midnight. Thought I would whip up some seafood. A seafood boil is about as simple and good as it gets. What goes in it is only limited by your imagination. I will list all ingriedants and times below. Hope that y'all enjoy and may your hair continue to grow long and shaggy my friends. 
Ingriedants:
5 pounds of fresh head on shrimp. 
5 pounds of fresh crabs. Whole or split. 
5 pounds of small red potatoes. 
5 quartered ears of fresh corn. 
2 pounds of sausage. 
2 pound of mushrooms.
1 pound of diced celery.
6 whole white onions.
1 pound of asparagus. 
6 lemons quartered. 
Salt to taste. I use 1 pound. 
10 bay leaves. 
32 ounces of liquid crab boil. 
2 packs of powdered Lousiana shrimp and crawfish boil. Zatarans is great too.
2 cups of cayenne pepper. If you are a sissy or heat sensitive you can omit this.
All the above is what I use to season 7 gallons of water. You can cut this in half, double it etc, etc to match your volume of water.

Boil Times:
Shrimp 90-120 seconds at a full rolling boil.
2-3 minutes at a hard boil. 
Crabs:
10 minutes at a full rolling boil. 
12 minutes at a hard boil.
Mushrooms:
5 minutes at a rolling boil. 
8-10 minutes at a hard boil. 
Corn & Potatoes: Everyone likes them done different so boil until your liking. My potatoes usually go 18 minutes at a rolling boil. You can adjust this to your liking. 
I figure most folks know how to boil so I omitted the steps. However if anyone wants or needs them just ask and I will gladly include them. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Holy cow that looks good... You have my seal of approval on this one brother. 
  • SGH
    Options
    hapster said:
    Thank you Hap. I read on another thread where you was under the weather. Hope that you are feeling better soon my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    SGH said:
    hapster said:
    Thank you Hap. I read on another thread where you was under the weather. Hope that you are feeling better soon my friend. 
    Thanks... Getting a little better every day. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    So mad jealous of that. A crab boil was one of the last things that me and my best group of friends did together before we all started having families and knew that Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were not going to be for just hanging out any more.

Awesome looking grub and great memories. Nicely Done my friend. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Wow, that really looks delish!  Were you feeding a crowd?

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:

Wow, that really looks delish!  Were you feeding a crowd?

Thanks brother. No sir, I haven't had seafood in a while so I thought I would go kind of big. You have to remember that my wife eats like a bear. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For clarity, the pink butcher paper did nothing for this cook. It actually made a mess. For seafood, foil wins. Sorry brother Franklin. 

Status- Standing by.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Last time I did it we went total old school and just used a Sunday paper from the week before...Still one of the best meals I've ever had. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Last time I did it we went total old school and just used a Sunday paper from the week before...Still one of the best meals I've ever had. 
    A good seafood boil is a tough act to follow for sure. It's one of my very favorites.  

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks killer good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Excellent cook there Scottie, just excellent.
  • rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    Options
    Love low country boils. Just had one a couple of weeks ago
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    When I lived in San Diego there was a little bar in the middle of an industrial neighborhood with a small restaurant in back.  A workingman's lunch kind of place.  On Fridays they would stay open later and serve big seafood boils, it was a big time for us, little kids in tow.  They loved picking up the food the waiter spilled out down the middle of the table.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm hungry again now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I grew up along the coast of SC and know good seafood when I see it. Dats some good chit right there. Pass me some clarified butter and some coctail (hope you don't mind me adding a little extra horseradish)......I'm going in. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Looks awesome. I have never included crab before but will now. How many people you think that pot feeds in mixed company?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've honestly never seen shrimp cooked and served whole like that. Is that just personal preference?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wow Scottie, giving that paella a run for the money. Another great one from you, not a surprise. Nice!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    SGH that is a meal fit for a king.  Unfortunately I'm allergic to shellfish but I will make a small batch for my family.

There are just a few ingredients I have to source, the liquid crab boil and the powdered shrimp and crab boil.

Tinyfish gives this his stamp of approval! !
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic looking food...Great post and the pics are off the chart.. Congrats.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Always a favorite. Great looking meal
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Looks awesome!  I know you are a big eater, but I assume you had lots of help on that!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nicely done for a guy just this side of Biloxi

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's some great grub right there Scottie. Very nice! 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Goodness gracious... I need that for breakfast. :how_interesting:  Nice cook! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
     @SGH. YOU JUST FLAT OUT ROCK MY BROTHER!!!
    Not trying to steal your thunder, just thought it was cool you did this too!
    We do these twice a year, on memorial and Labor Day weekends. My BIL is a tugboat captain in NOLA, and on Friday he fills a couple coolers with seafood and ice and drives up for the cook. We usually plan on 30-40 people to feed, but as is often the case, many more show up. We have friends and alleged family travel literally from around the world that come in for this gig.This year the andouille was crawfish and green onion. We try something different each boil.@SGH love your cook! There is nothing more fun, or greater time to be had.
    Your cook definitely gets a 5 star YukonRon approval!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My friend that is what I call a feast!  Outstanding!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    That kind of cooking is "One of my Favorite things to eat" well done! 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I love boils and the crab looks soooooo good.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.