Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax question

Options
I am a new egger having just purchased my Large egg a month ago and I'm hooked.  Every night I'm on here looking for new recipes to try out and thanks to you all for the great ideas and suggestions.  I have been seriously considering a Minimax egg for smaller cooks during the weeknights and camping/travelling.  Is there any disadvantage to the minimax from purchasing a small or mini egg?  other then the price of course.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Do you plan on traveling with it? The mini is the easiest to move but has the smallest grid diameter. The MiniMax is heavier and not too much lighter than the small but has the same grid dimension as the small. The small works exactly like the medium, large, and XL. It gives you adequate space above the firebox. It weighs the most out of the 3. If your looking for something that won't see much travel I'd recommend the small. I like the extra space between the firebox and grid. Just my personal opinion though.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you get the max, forego the platesetter and buy the woo/stone combo from the ceramic grill store. That gets you more space between the firebox and grid. 

Welcome me to the forum and post some of your cooks. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a Mini and love it, it gets used a lot for weeknight cooks for the wife and I and uses hardly any lump. But it is small for sure, 2 nice steaks or chops, 4 nice burgers, 2 big chicken breast I have a small that lives in a hatch in the Motor Home and I Love It also. It's great for when we are in the MH. I have cooked on the Mini Max and it's another fine BGE product. One strong person can pick up the Max and move it but not very far, you will always have to have a table of some kind to set it on that can take the heat from the bottom of the Egg and it's weight. The Max also has less room for lump than the small. I have the nest for my small and in 3 years of camping the small has worked very well for me and with the nest I can move it around if needed. The small takes up more room than the Max. If you have more than 2 people in the household I say get the Small & Nest of the Max.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Considering you already have the LBGE I'd say get the MM. I have nothing negative to say about it. I use ours a ton. LBGE & MM combo is perfect for our family. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I am a new egger having just purchased my Large egg a month ago and I'm hooked.  Every night I'm on here looking for new recipes to try out and thanks to you all for the great ideas and suggestions.  I have been seriously considering a Minimax egg for smaller cooks during the weeknights and camping/travelling.  Is there any disadvantage to the minimax from purchasing a small or mini egg?  other then the price of course.
    I'm in the exact same position as you, weeknight cooking without taking 30-45 mins to get the grill up to temp and wasting lump for quick cooks is my reasoning for looking. I am cooking for 4, 2 adults 2 kids so the mini is out in my mind. I like the max for the larger grate and shallower pit, also has a larger firebox opening and grate for more airflow than the small from what I understand. Some claim to have issues heating up the small quickly due to the smaller charcoal grate, but once again I don't have experience with any of the smaller models, am simply trying to make an educated decision. Interested to see what conclusion you arrive at. 
  • Obeseninja
    Options
    I've been leaning towards the MM mainly so I can bring it to work at cook for my co-workers. They are jealous of all the pictures I show them of my cooks
  • feef706
    Options
    I've been leaning towards the MM mainly so I can bring it to work at cook for my co-workers. They are jealous of all the pictures I show them of my cooks
    Sounds like the max is for you, I'm not so interested in mine being portable but I like having that option
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options

I only have the MM and don't see any reason why to go bigger! it's perfect also for low and slow.

BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • Marcusp
    Marcusp Posts: 16
    Options
    I started with large then bought the small for Motorhome then the minimax was released so I bought that for Motorhome and now use small most of the time at the house.  I only use large for larger meals and pizza. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have had the large since 2006, I bought a used small 2 years ago to travel with and smaller cooks at home. Last year I sold the small and bought the mini max, best thing i did. I also bought the woo and stone in stead of the plate setter like @theyolksonyou stated and this is the way to go. Last weekend I took mini max to my daughters apt at USC and made steaks for her roomates, I am now the "best dad ever". The mini max is great to travel with.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    I've got an XL and a MM.  Love the MM. Makes the Rockwood go a long way compared to the XL!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I have an XL and a MM. I got it for the same reasons you mentioned.
    It is a great little cooker.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • feef706
    Options
    Also another side note for the mini max is another board member mentioned they only use briquettes since it's a hot and fast cook, no reason to waste the lump since briquettes are so much cheaper and still give you a good charcoal flavor
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Are dead set on getting a BGE in that size?  You have other options available at lower cost and similar quality. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    If I were starting out buying new eggs again, I'd still pick my same setup of a LBGE and MM. I can't say I have experience comparing various/multiple BGE's, but my MM complements my large nicely. I cook for two 95% of the time and use the MM about 70% of the time. I like the portability of it, but mostly like the rapid heat up time and the minimal use of lump. When I'm talking about rapid heat up time, I mean throughly heated not just a hot fire. Even when cooking burgers, I like cooking with a hot dome. As mentioned above, go with the woo/stone combo vs plate setter. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • feef706
    Options
    Are dead set on getting a BGE in that size?  You have other options available at lower cost and similar quality. 
    KJ Jr? What else? I'm in the market also.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mini Max is an excellent week night cooker.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    Minimax seems like the hot egg right now  B)
    dealers in my area don't stock them as regular stock yet. Can't understand why
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    If you have a Large Egg, then you are set for long and slow cooks. While the Small Egg is more suitable for long and slow cooks vs the Minimax, I think the Minimax will do better for hot fast cooks. The Small Egg has a much smaller fire grate and is not conducive to high temperature.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    feef706 said:
    KJ Jr? What else? I'm in the market also.
    At least have a look at KKjr.  You will save a couple hundred and I would say it has equal quality and the same warranty. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The MiniMax has been by far, my favorite.  It consumes small fuel amounts and produces big results for making pizza and searing steaks.  Traveling with it is not easy- it takes up some room and I need to bungee it down, but I can't imagine hauling a small egg around.  I contemplated a mini but the MiniMax has the capacity I need for small groups at tailgate parties, beach cooking and camping trips.  Plus, the MM is the egg that gets the most use now.  Burgers for a quick dinner, no problem.  YOu want a whole chicken?  Get the temp to 350, put the bird on and come back in 67 minutes, and it's perfect.    I can't say enough good things about the MiniMax as it has really created the opportunity for me to cook on the BGE more frequently.  YEM is right as well, the woo stone setup from CGS is better than the platesetter, but I have both because of the sheer novelty of it all but looking back, the platesetter was a waste of $
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I meant yolksonyou   my bad!  YEM has it right though in the weeknite cooking capability.
  • Obeseninja
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for all the help ... I picked up the minimax tonight and I'm pretty excited.  I didn't realize just how shallow the fire box was going to be.  but seems to be a ton of love for this little guy so why not give it a go.  Excited to take it to the beach next summer 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I use a custom lumpsaver expanded mesh in my XL, so my weekday cooks don't burn much lump. Works for the two of us and don't need a smaller egg!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I got impatient waiting for the MM to be released and bought a KJ Jr.
    I really like it for smaller cooks.  Good quality unit. Also, the stand is a great design. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for all the help ... I picked up the minimax tonight and I'm pretty excited.  I didn't realize just how shallow the fire box was going to be.  but seems to be a ton of love for this little guy so why not give it a go.  Excited to take it to the beach next summer 

Congrats! You won't regret it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Obeseninja
    Options
    The MiniMax has been by far, my favorite.  It consumes small fuel amounts and produces big results for making pizza and searing steaks.  Traveling with it is not easy- it takes up some room and I need to bungee it down, but I can't imagine hauling a small egg around.  I contemplated a mini but the MiniMax has the capacity I need for small groups at tailgate parties, beach cooking and camping trips.  Plus, the MM is the egg that gets the most use now.  Burgers for a quick dinner, no problem.  YOu want a whole chicken?  Get the temp to 350, put the bird on and come back in 67 minutes, and it's perfect.    I can't say enough good things about the MiniMax as it has really created the opportunity for me to cook on the BGE more frequently.  YEM is right as well, the woo stone setup from CGS is better than the platesetter, but I have both because of the sheer novelty of it all but looking back, the platesetter was a waste of $
    Unfortunately with shipping and the awesome Canadian dollar right now I will have to wait on the Woo and the Stone.  Over 200 bucks to get that thing to Canada yikes.  
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Yes yes yes....I was thrilled to see the MM coming out in more places....Mine and the ole lady's Bday is at the end of January and I already told her what WE are getting fer our BDAYS!!!!   It'll go good with the camper and boat!!!  I'll let it rest on my large BGE table when not in use...May even use it fer smaller cooks!!!  Another poster mentioned the small would be better but fer camping the MM would be more suitable and not top heavy, so no worries on cracking your egg  unless you drive like a nut...
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sold my Small. Very happy with my Mini and Mini Max. They are used so much more than the Larges. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I bought the XL first, and absolutely loved the food I have taken from it. So much so, I wanted to be able to take the egg camping, and tailgating. i got the MM and have not been disappointed. It is a rock solid cooker that is more versatile than most people realize. I love it. I bought the KAB for it, which is perfect for so many reasons. MM is the way to go.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky