Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL at SAMs club for $1200

I was recently at my local SAMs club and noticed front and center as we walked through the entrance was XL BGE for $1200 with a nest and wings. The disclaimer on the egg website makes it sound as though 3rd party wholesale or discount clubs are not authorized resellers. Is it safe to assume that SAMs is an authorized seller? The price was about $400 lower than the local egg dealer.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sams is not an authorized seller
  • Which Sam's?
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Seems shady that SAMs would offer something like the egg if the warranty will be void. I read how Costco is selling discounted KJs through a roadshow, wasn't sure if SAMs was trying to follow suit.
  • feef706
    Fort Walton Beach, FL, I had taken a pic to send to a buddy but deleted it since. I will take a pic again next time I'm there.
  • A couple of years ago Costco sold quite a few Green Eggs!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Has anyone asked a Sam's representative (that is selling these Eggs) about what kind of warranty is being offered?

It's hard to believe that Sam's would offer something that may not be on the up-and-up to its customers, knowing the end-consequenses. Additionally, if BGE did not have an arrangement with Sam's, we would have found out by now by way of Cease and Desist filings.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Lol here we go again....
  • feef706
    I just found some older posts and see this debacle is nothing new, no need to carry on the conversation. I for one won't be buying any unwarranted eggs from SAMs. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    odie91 said:
    Lol here we go again....
    Same song
    Second verse
    "some rogue dealer dumped a load"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I got my XL for under $900 at Georgia Patio a few years back.  
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • feef706
    Local dealer here was around $1600 pre tax with nest and wings 
  • BGE Dealers do run sales and promotions.  Why buy from a source that can't take care of you if something breaks?  My XL was priced at $1142 in the showroom, and he gave me 10% off during his Labor Day promotion.  Same way with accessories.  He has a 15% sale coming up for accessories and lump, so  you just need to watch for the deals and always support your local dealer. 

I buy a lot of groceries at SAMS's CLUB, but I don't buy my TV's or BBQ grills there!

• feef706
    edited October 2015
    I did not know tvs had different warranties at SAMs also, very enlightening. 

NO mention of warranty called out on the detail card at SAMs 

@littlerascal56 have you noticed If there is a trend for sales at legit dealers? Around holidays and such? I need to find out if my dealer does this, as all of theirs were listed at MSRP
  • I can't speak for yours but mine runs a spring special when "grillin season" first starts. Then at Father's Day they have another. And at Labor Day I believe.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • What's wrong with TV's from Sam's?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• smoke-n
    smoke-n Posts: 32
    What's wrong with TV's from Sam's?
    Idk.  I've bought a bunch over the years and have never had any issues with warranties. Had to return one not to long ago for a cracked screen and had no issues 
  • feef706 regarding sales, my local BGE dealer is a HUGE John Deere dealership here in Central Kansas.  Most of the local farmers buy the BGE's and get to charge them to their "farm accounts" and deduct on their income tax!  It's a lucrative business for the dealer,  who also sells mowers, snow blowers, etc.  He has no problem discounting the BGE products, as he sells a ton of grills, accessories, and BGE Lump.  They just had a big "give away" drawing for a Large egg w/nest a couple of weeks ago, in conjunction with the Labor Day 10% sale.  I live 1/2 mile from the dealership, and can pick up accessories anytime at a good price.  It's funny...John Deere green combines all over the lot and Big Green Eggs all over the showroom!
  • feef706
    @littlerascal56 the only places here in Florida that are authorized dealers tend to be pool stores, and from what I can see, people that own pools have lots of play money. I will have to visit again and ask if they ever run specials, if not I will check other dealers within a decent range. We vacation in NE Ga in January and I think there are some dealers in Atlanta that discount regularly.
  • @feef706 I agree...I shopped the pool stores that I bought Hot Tub supplies from, and they had the BGE stuff at retail.  Most of those were in larger Kansas towns with more "high rollers" with play money. 

I live by the largest Traeger distributor in the US.  They stock over 5000 bags of pellets, and tons of pellet grills, supplies, spices, etc.  They are also a huge Oil Field supplier, so the Traeger pellet business is more of a "hobby".  I think my John Deere/BGE distributor runs the sales to piss off the Traeger distributor!  Kind of fun to be in the middle of both of these guys, as I own both types of cookers.  I do buy my pellets by the pallet from Lumberjack for 1/2 of the local guy, so they don't get my business there.

And Yoder grills is 2 hours from the house, so we got lots of options for cookers.  My favorite is the BGE.  Ceramics rock.

• feef706
    @littlerascal56 that's nice you have competition, which is what we don't have here. We have pool stores that sell different brands all claiming to be the best but all are sold at retail from what I can tell. Any idea what your dealer sells the minimax for when on sale by you? That's what I'm looking for but all I've seen here is the $598 MSRP 
  • Will check out the Mini Max when I pick up an XL accessory I special ordered  from them.  I know they have them in stock, but not sure when she said the 15% upcoming sale was happening.
  • feef706
    Will check out the Mini Max when I pick up an XL accessory I special ordered  from them.  I know they have them in stock, but not sure when she said the 15% upcoming sale was happening.
    Thanks. 15% is pretty good, that drops almost $100 off the MSRP ($508 vs $598 pre-tax), I need to find someone in my region that offers that