Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Volkswagon TDI (turbocharged direct injection) scandal

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Buffaloed.........,,

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2015
    Options
    scottc454 said:

So what VW did was somehow detect if the system was being monitored, probably through a back pressure monitor, and run the system rich.  Then when operating without monitoring, back off on the fuel and run lean - better power and fuel economy, but up to 40x more NOx emissions.

Germans, they think of everything.

This isn't quite right. That is not how a diesel works. A diesel has no throttle blades, so it's always breathing in as much air as it can.  It needs to because the compression is how it ignites the air/fuel mixture (no spark plugs). To add power, you just add more fuel, so you can't make it richer without going faster.  In the olden days, this is why you'd get black smoke when you floored a diesel - it would squirt in more fuel, but the engine wouldn't be revving enough yet to breathe in the necessary amount of air (they've got like fancy computers now to stop you from doing that)

With a gas engine, if you run it too lean, it burns too hot and you'll melt pistons. 

While I'm being pedantic, I must point out that fixing this won't help global warming. NOx causes smog.  We're f#@%'d on global warming. 

@scottc454   Sure you can run it rich, through the timing of the fuel injection.

Advancing the start of injection (injecting before the piston reaches to its SOI-TDC) results in higher in-cylinder pressure and temperature, and higher efficiency, but also results in increased engine noise due to faster cylinder pressure rise and increased oxides of nitrogen (NOx) formation due to higher combustion temperatures. Delaying start of injection causes incomplete combustion, reduced fuel efficiency and an increase in exhaust smoke, containing a considerable amount of particulate matter and unburned hydrocarbons.

Options
    OMG! A 30% loss of stock value in 2 days. Damn those gov't regulators and those researchers at West Virginia University.

FWIW, the problem w. diesel is not just the NO emissions. Diesel particulates are quite carcinogenic. The EU has been using "clean" diesel fuel for some time. Until about 10 years ago, that was unavailable in the US, and as soon as it started coming online, Bush 2 ordered that the diesel school buses be required to use it immediately.

Diesel adoption in Germany has been so rapid that instead of emission problems going down, they went up because of the huge increase in particulates. They had to rapidly phase in exhaust filters years ahead of schedule because some large towns (Munich I believe was the worst) were getting such bad air quality.

Anthropogenic climate change. Check this out for starters. Seems physically impossible that human energy production growing at an exponential rate for at least 350 years isn't pumping huge amounts of heat into the planet's surface, oceans and atmosphere. And he's not really talking much about "greenhouse gases," just pumping energy into a system that only loose heat by infrared radiation.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Volkswagen admits 11 million cars have a pollution cheating device ... Germans putting millions at risk with gasses? I've heard this one before ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Davec433 said:

So I'm supposed to trust a bunch of scientists who are receiving government funding to do "research" when their is proof that these models have been altered to show the results they want. Hard to buy into specially before Climate Change was Global Warming and before that it was Global Cooling.
    Sans human activity, we've been in a cooling cycle.  We're just overpowering it.  Thank you crazy, delusional person.
    Options
    There's nothing controversial in this thread, yet it's getting sunk.

Fvck this fvcking forum.  I'm done.
    "But when Homewood was then able to check Giss’s figures against the original data from which they were derived, he found that they had been altered. Far from the new graph showing any rise, it showed temperatures in fact having declined over those 65 years by a full degree."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11367272/Climategate-the-sequel-How-we-are-STILL-being-tricked-with-flawed-data-on-global-warming.html

And I'm the delusional one.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @davec433 yep.  You are.  Not worth arguing with conspiracy theorists, cherry pickers and crazies.
    Options
    Except for fun  ;)
    Options
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    “You can believe NASA and you can believe what their satellites measure on the planet, or you can believe the Senator with the snowball. The United States Navy takes this very seriously, to the point where Admiral Locklear, who is the head of the Pacific Command, has said that climate change is the biggest threat that we face in the Pacific…you can either believe the United States Navy or you can believe the Senator with the snowball…every major American scientific society has put itself on record, many of them a decade ago, that climate change is deadly real. They measure it, they see it, they know why it happens. The predictions correlate with what we see as they increasingly come true. And the fundamental principles, that it is derived from carbon pollution, which comes from burning fossil fuels, are beyond legitimate dispute…so you can believe every single major American scientific society, or you can believe the Senator with the snowball.”

—Steve Mirsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiBU-1Ji_8
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    There's nothing controversial in this thread, yet it's getting sunk.

Fvck this fvcking forum.  I'm done.
    How can you tell it's getting sunk before its sunked? 
    Brandon, MS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They lock in a last post time and it sinks down the list of recent posts.
    Options
    Nice try.