Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 pound steak with fiddleheads

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
67922019.jpg
<p />we only get these for a week or two, but fiddleheads are great with some melted butter. there the ostrich fern just as they come up from the ground
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    they from your garden?[p]...hey how'd you make out with the rain over there?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    stike,
    i have 12 plants ready to go in the ground and about 3 years from now i hope to have enough to harvest. im doing away with the lawn. the lake in methuen should be in the house this afternoon, i expect that the machine shop will be flooded out before lunch, plenty of time to get things off the floor, but it will be shut down for the week. should of tied the sebago dock to the shore cause i think it and the boat will be down stream in a day or two, hopefully not to far : ). wow that was a lot of rain for such a dry spring, to bad it wasnt snow

fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    ferns take years... amazing. some folks try doin it from spores i guess, which is torture.[p]love them ferns...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman,

Fabulous pic, very hard for us to see!. We had a condo in Southwest Harbor, ME from 1987 to 1994. We're West coast natives and that was our first exposure to fantastic Northeast produce ... like your fiddleheads,local strawberries, butter & sugar 'kawn'. many happy and special memories.[p] What a great feast! We just fired up our new BGE yesterday and really enjoyed .... but not like this![p]
    Regards,
    Tom B.
    St George, UT
    USA

[p]

• fishlessman
    Tom B.,
    ive got a one tenth acre yard divided by a set of stairs coming down to the house. one side has the native strawberries that i found in the middle of nowhere and brought home about 4 years ago. its really starting to do well. very sweet unlike those west coast berries.about the size of a dime. planting the ferns on the other side this year and then there will be no more grass. any bigger than what you see in the pic and they become poisonous, but they are so tasty.1 to 2 weeks and the harvest season is over. dont have the room to grow the corn, but i dont think there is any better in the country. i believe there is an eatible fiddlehead in the north west, but dont believe they eat them there.

fukahwee maine

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    fishlessman,
    Looks good. One of my favorite greens. Never heard of putting in garden?
    Friend in NH found mother lode of fiddleheads in low area near Merrimack river. His neighbors didn't have a clue what he was carrying in large garbage bags.

• fishlessman
    Charbon,
    any idea if they can be frozen, maybe partly cooked then frozen. we are going to see how they take in the yard,im hoping never to have to weed whack the grass again

fukahwee maine

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    fishlessman,
    Yes. Need to rinse off husks and blanche quickly. Can then be frozen in portion size batches. Haven't tried foodsaver but I'm sure it would work.