Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Electronic Controller Box/Container

Options
Has anyone made a box for their stoker/cyberq/flame boss/etc?   I am looking for some ideas, pros/cons of different designs. 

We are supposed to have heavy rain all weekend here in the Carolinas and thought it would be a good project for the weekend along with cooking a brisket to test out the new Flame Boss 200. 

I pictured something where the control unit is mounted hanging from the top of the box with a rubber grommet in the rear/bottom for wire pass through and a door in the front. Thought behind the box is an organized storage space in the lower portion for everything when not using and also keep it safe(r) from water, spills, falling, etc. 

Materials are also up for discussion, stained wood is appealing, but plastic exterior would be more durable long term.

I will likely add the obligatory bottle opener to the side just for style points.  =)   Any other design/storage ideas already used or in theory are appreciated!
Large BGE - 2014
FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
Lake Norman area of NC
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Not sure if this helps, but I cut a small hole in the side of a rectangular plastic Ziploc container, passing the Guru wires through the side and plug in.  Lay it down on a folding table out in the elements.  Works great, rain or snow. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I got tired of rain, snow, sleet, and wind.  Added a sun room on the deck with an exhaust system.  Probably not the quick solution you were looking for, but it really is nice.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Lots of stoker box threads on here: A couple that come to mind (which include one of my posts):

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1708021/#Comment_1708021

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1759178/#Comment_1759178

Hope this helps. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    My egg table sits under the covered porch.
    I do have a couple of 25 ft stereo cables that will work fine to put the stoker anywhere I need to and extend the fan/probe wires.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I use a ziplock bag.  Cheap and works great.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Zip lock will be the plan for tomorrow, but looking style points too!  Thanks for the input everyone!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    I got tired of rain, snow, sleet, and wind.  Added a sun room on the deck with an exhaust system.  Probably not the quick solution you were looking for, but it really is nice.
    Care to share any pictures? Sounds awesome!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Any plastic container with a lid will work.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    This is what I have. Waterproof box from WM.
    A sealtight fitting for the wires.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Here is a short thread on how several others have approached rain protection for the electronics.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1665675/p1

Both my BBQ Guru and Flame Boss 200 heat up some when running, thus it was important to me to provide some ventilation.  You can use the larger-than-necessary elbows or a small fan as some have tried.  I'm going to add a second elbow to the other end of the box to improved the natural airflow. Either way, consider not making it airtight.

Also consider using a large enough box so that you can have the transformer inside the box.  With the transformer in the box, the only electrical connection exposed to the rain is the 120 volt wall outlet. With a larger box, you can use it to store all the components in between cooks.

And finally, get one with a clear top ... that allows you to see the readout while standing at the egg.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    @pescadorzih really Iike that idea!  I may try to put something like that together this weekend!

I left the FB 200 in a zip lock bag during then10+ hr cook and didn't notice any heat. Maybe the bag is thin enough it didn't matter!  Thanks for the ideas and advice!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC