Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grid lifters - OTT vs ThirdEyeQ?

Options

There seem to be 2 different grid lifters good enough to withstand use lifting heavy cast iron grids/grates.  The BGE one seems flimsy and cheap and I'm sure it wont last long.  Anyone have experience with either (or both) of these and can tell me which they think is better?

One is by 'OTT' and I can only seem to find them on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Ott-Grid-Grill-Lifter-Tool-1-4-SS-Big-Green-Egg-Kamado-USA-Made/201190514955

The other is by 'ThridEyeQ' and is called the 'ThirdHand' and can be found here:

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Both seem somewhat comparable, but the OTT one seems a little more solid and doesn't look like it will damage/scrape whatever surface you hang it off of.  By bigger concern is whether or not it can withstand the weight of my CI Grid for the XL BGE and last a long time.  The OTT one is also about $15 cheaper when you factor in shipping.  I just want to order one and see if anyone had any thoughts on either one that would sway my decision.

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I have the first one. Came as a set and included the platesetter lifter that I really wanted. I already had the bge spring loaded one, which works well. and I still prefer over the other. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    I have a third hand (actually 2) and I love them.  It is a simple, very well made tool. I use it to lift and move my stock grate, cast iron grate and woo without any difficulty. When hooked on a grate, the third hand is very well balanced. It has never damaged any of my equipment. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've had this one 3 or so years. Works great!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a thirdhand for both my small and my large.  I use them on every cook.   I highly recommend this product.  My #1 accessory by far!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The spring loaded one works well, but you can't hang the grid from your egg mates or table like the Ott grid lifter. I think the grid lifter is possibly the best gadget I have. I am sure the third hand is as well. The claw is maybe a little better gadget, but it's close. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I've been using the BGE one for 5 seasons, almost 100% of the time with the cast iron grid, with no problems. It is fine.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have the Thirdhand and have for many years very pleased with it.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Mosca said:
    I've been using the BGE one for 5 seasons, almost 100% of the time with the cast iron grid, with no problems. It is fine.
    @Mosca - which BGE model do you have? The one with the plastic grip handle or the wooden grip handle?  
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    When I ordered the new KAB for my Small I noticed they had a new grid lifter, looks like you can hang the grid on a table with it.  Since I was already paying shipping, I went ahead and ordered that too, will report back.  
    http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=5

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thirdeye products are amazing!! I have both the thirdhand and thirdfinger. I have to use the third finger to get my Cast iron grill in my XL. both are extremely high quality and do exactly what they are touted to do.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Add me to the list of happy Thirdeye Thirdhand lifter owners. I've had it for many years and use it all the time. High quality and a great design.

South SLO County
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't hang mine from a Mate or table. I just set the grid down on my old Mini nest (which I never use as a nest).

My lifter started out as a garden claw 
    and worked great with three prongs. Then, the weld broke and I was left with just the center prong. Been like that for several years and still works great. I use it on my CI as well as the stock grid.

At some point after the prongs broke off, the original handle broke too (hey, whaddaya want for $5?). It was a slow day so I cut a branch off of a maple tree and made a new one. Used the rest of the branch as smoke wood. =) That was over two years ago, still the only lifter I use. I have the flimsy stock one as well as the BGE spring loaded one I received as a gift. Don't use either.

My grid lifter (with "custom" tree branch). :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Mosca said:
    I agree, I don't understand the OP's comment that the BGE one seems "flimsy & cheap".  There is nothing "flimsy" about it. 

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Mosca said:
    I agree, I don't understand the OP's comment that the BGE one seems "flimsy & cheap".  There is nothing "flimsy" about it. 

Sorry, but my comment was based on my handling of one of these units in the store. Perhaps because it was a display/demonstration unit, some of the parts seemed a little loose.  The spring also didn't seem very strong.  It seemed like a great concept, but not as heavy duty as something with less moving parts might be.  Given the responses I'm getting, I will go back and take another look at one. Thanks for your reply. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Mosca said:
    @Mosca - which BGE model do you have? The one with the plastic grip handle or the wooden grip handle?  
    Mine doesn't look like any of those in the photos, it is shaped like a pair of pliers. It looks like this photo, but it isn't branded "Primo". I thought it was BGE brand, maybe it isn't?

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Mosca said:

I have two of these and they work great. It does sound like its loose but the pring isnt really there to hold the grid down from the top but ratherto keep it in place and from moving. I love mine and wont be buying any others.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't hang mine from a Mate or table. I just set the grid down on my old Mini nest (which I never use as a nest).

My lifter started out as a garden claw 
    and worked great with three prongs. Then, the weld broke and I was left with just the center prong. Been like that for several years and still works great. I use it on my CI as well as the stock grid.

At some point after the prongs broke off, the original handle broke too (hey, whaddaya want for $5?). It was a slow day so I cut a branch off of a maple tree and made a new one. Used the rest of the branch as smoke wood. =) That was over two years ago, still the only lifter I use. I have the flimsy stock one as well as the BGE spring loaded one I received as a gift. Don't use either.

My grid lifter (with "custom" tree branch). :)

That last one looks....... Lets just say phallic. 
  • Medium-Rare
    Options
    I have a large and medium egg and use the ThirdHand from ThirdEyeQ. Been using it for years with no issues or problems. I use it with OEM grates and cast iron.

Thirdeye has a great cooking site that you should check out. Just google "Playing with Fire and Smoke". Great collection of recipes including some from ambassadors of the Big Green Egg that left us too early.

You won't go wrong picking the ThirdHand. It was in use long before a substitute could be found on Ebay.
  • Botch
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Botch said:
    When I ordered the new KAB for my Small I noticed they had a new grid lifter, looks like you can hang the grid on a table with it.  Since I was already paying shipping, I went ahead and ordered that too, will report back.  
    Aaaaaand I'm reporting back.   =)
    First off, the Small KAB: wow they really improved the construction, this will outlast me.  I toyed with buying the new design for the Large too, but my earlier-design Large KAB still shows no sign of wearing out, and since packers are now topping $70 around here (SUV Beef, and all that), I may not be using my Large much anymore.   :|
    Here's their new grid lifter:

Works pretty slick.  I'll still use my spring-loaded BGE lifter when I need to clean the grates, but I can see this thing being very handy in some situations (like throwing in a fistful of smoking chips after the fire's going).  Plus, he who dies with the most toys Wins, right?   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Aaaaaand I'm reporting back.   =)
    First off, the Small KAB: wow they really improved the construction, this will outlast me.  I toyed with buying the new design for the Large too, but my earlier-design Large KAB still shows no sign of wearing out, and since packers are now topping $70 around here (SUV Beef, and all that), I may not be using my Large much anymore.   :|
    Here's their new grid lifter:

Works pretty slick.  I'll still use my spring-loaded BGE lifter when I need to clean the grates, but I can see this thing being very handy in some situations (like throwing in a fistful of smoking chips after the fire's going).  Plus, he who dies with the most toys Wins, right?   :)
    The KAB grid lifter is a blatant copy of third eye's third hand. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Botch
    Options
    Looks like it.  The KAB version has a rubber tip so it doesn't scratch your oil-stained side table, though.   ;)

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Well I mislaid the BGE one or loaned it to someone but it can't be found. 
    I liked the looks of the Ott that @Tier1Terrier linked so I just ordered it.

the BGE one was quite study for me though FWIW.  I had the wooden handled one.

I think the Ott will work out well and the price was reasonable.

Thanks for bird dogging that Tier1
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL