Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC Advice

Options
I've FTC'd many things with absolutely no problem, I've been asked to do a 14 lb Dry Aged Prime Rib Roast on my LBGE. No problem, I can do that.

Here's the thing, I'll be taking it to my sisters home 10 minutes away, after I finish the roast, I'd like to clean myself up, so I won't be able to be there for at least an hour or so.

Question, do I FTC like I would a brisket or pork butt? Is there any issue? This is a very expensive cut of meat and I don't want to mess things up in transport.

Any thoughts or advice?
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    This is what I would do:
    Stabilize egg to cooking temperature - probably 225 to 250 Fahrenheit well beforehand. 
    Calculate cooking time.
    Back up cooking time 30-45 minutes for leeway. 
    30 mins before pulling temperature, take shower and clean up.
    Pull roast from egg, sit on counter uncovered for 10 minutes while you get every/anything else ready.  
    Foil and cooler. 
    Go to sisters and when time to eat, sear on their grill if it gets hot enough and is big enough, or put in 400f oven for a few mins (5-7)

Enjoy. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Build an herb crust and don't worry about the sear. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes so you don't get carryover cooking,
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    if you FTC it will keep cooking.

it can (should) rest 30-45 minutes anyway, no need to FTC
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    if you FTC it will keep cooking.

it can (should) rest 30-45 minutes anyway, no need to FTC
    Agreed, don't want it to keep cooking!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Well yes, it will continue to cook a bit, but I pull my thick steaks  (108) and prime ribs (112) and let rest. Even with a foil and cooler after an initial uncovered 10 min or so rest on the counter to let the initial carryover heat dissipate, the carryover and last minute sear brings it up to an even rare throughout.  It all depends on your temp when you pull it, right? Now if you want a 130 finish, I would not pull it at 122 then foil and cooler. No way. It would just be a straight up uncovered rest on the rack.

The difference here is that he has a 10 min drive to factor in, so you have to figure in a method of transportation, and a cooler is one way to go. Depending on what is available, that may be his only way. Again, pull temp vs target temp is something you need to factor in.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thank guys, great advice ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.