Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Ghost and IPA

Options
Got my new shipment from Dizzy Pig, including the new limited edition IPA and Ghost rubs today! Wings make a nice palette for tasting new rubs, so brined some wings for a couple hours with salt, agave, cider vinegar and water, then dusted half lightly with Ghost, and the other half more heavily with IPA. Out of the bottle test on a wet finger, Ghost is HOT!, and IPA definitely tastes hoppy (Ale-ish?), with lots of flavors in there. After an indirect on the Mini.... 

Ghost is mellowed a lot at first, but has a kick after a bit. Nice flavors, would go with a little more sweet in a sauce or glaze next time with wings, should be awesome in chili. 
IPA has lots of good savory tastes going on. Don't notice the beerishness so much after cooking, almost lush in flavor. Thinking it will be great on pork, and other chicken things. Looking forward to further experiments with both.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thank you @Basscat, an earlier poster who I respect said the Ghost wasn't too hot. Maybe lot variation vs palate variation.  Your wings look outstanding!  Thank you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    good looking wings, and thanks for the review!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Appreciate you trying and posting! The chicken looks righteously done! The Ghost is torture to blend and bottle, and awfully hot right out of the bottle, but as you said it does mellow with the cook. After cooking with it since it has been in development, I think it is about twice as hot as Swamp Venom….though browning does indeed mellow it out.  Thanks again Basscat!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chrisc133
    Options
    Appreciate you trying and posting! The chicken looks righteously done! The Ghost is torture to blend and bottle, and awfully hot right out of the bottle, but as you said it does mellow with the cook. After cooking with it since it has been in development, I think it is about twice as hot as Swamp Venom….though browning does indeed mellow it out.  Thanks again Basscat!
    Chris
    @Nature Boy do you guys have any plans to sell the new flavors on Amazon? I'm a Prime member...sure does make the cost a lot more reasonable.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    @chrisc133, Tough question really. But no we don't sell to A-zon at all.

It's amazing what they have done, and how people love the convenience and not having to pay for shipping when shipping costs money. It's really changed the way people shop.

But the "A" question is complicated. We are much more focused on our brick and mortar retailers. Is there one in your area? We have a dealer locator

Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • chrisc133
    Options

It's amazing what they have done, and how people love the convenience and not having to pay for shipping when shipping costs money. It's really changed the way people shop.

But the "A" question is complicated. We are much more focused on our brick and mortar retailers. Is there one in your area? We have a dealer locator

Happy cookin!
    Chris

Yes there are a few dealers in my area--will the new ghost pepper rub be widely distributed?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    I guess 5000 bottles will only go so far, but until it is gone, all of our dealers can order. Many already have. Give them a call. You a chilehead??
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options

Happy cookin!
    Chris

First of all, Great looking wings. I CANT WAIT to try The Ghost as I love spicy wings. Thanks for sharing. 

@Nature Boy , I just ordered my first DP seasoning, Raging River, from Amazon. Should I be at all concerned about what I'm receiving?

if I knew of a local place that sold DP products, I would have gladly gone in person. I will check out your dealer locator. 
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    No, you should not be concerned. Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com