Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red beans - so good I had to do it again

Options
I made red beans last weekend, it was a trial run for today - I am taking them to a "diaper party" for my son.  There will be about 20 guys, most of them foodies, and several serious BBQers.  

Last weeks version was sooooo good.  I ate leftovers three times, loved them all.  The recipe is great, and the smoke from cooking them on the egg really takes it over the top.

At any rate, early this morning I got the veggies sauteed along with the Tasso and Andouille.  Now they are simmering and smoking on the small for a couple of hours.  When done, I will transfer to a covered foil pan, put in my cooler on top of hot bricks, pack with towels, and I will shuffle off to Buffalo where the gathering is. Note, the 5 qt lodge fits the small perfectly with a woo and 12" pizza stone for indirectness (there are spacers under the pot of course).

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    That looks good. Can you post the recipe? I wouldn't mind trying that myself. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Wonderful. Will do it this fall. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Nice. Love me some red beans. Recipe please. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That looks good. Can you post the recipe? I wouldn't mind trying that myself. 
    Believe it or not, this is an Emeril recipe.  I read over a lot of recipes, and this was the one I chose.  Now that I have done it, for me the only critical measure is the ratio of 6 cups of liquid (I use chicken broth) to 1 lb of pre-soaked red beans.  Here is a link.   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2.html  

The one comment is that 4 cups of rice is not enough for this full recipe.  I am doing a pound of rice today which should yield 6 cups.

Be sure to post if you do it!
    Rochester, NY
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I make this often in the colder months. Have not done on egg yet. Looking forward to it as your cook sets off great possibilities. Pass the Lousiana Hot Sauce please.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Absolutely looks great, thanks for sharing. On the list for sure.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Cookinbob.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • shadowrider
    Options
    I've made them very close to that recipe for years.  But I will be doing them on the egg soon.  Great idea!  I wonder if I can find some of those Hatch chilis?   =)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome brother. I love red beans and rice. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• clweed
    Options
    There are a lot of good recipes here also

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Another recipe I would love to try but probably never will as the wife doesn't care for red beans. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    @Cookinbob    Did you use any wood flavor in this cook?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Try adding some pulled pork to the recipe. We make red beans about twice a month. I grew up eating them nearly every monday.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Try adding some pulled pork to the recipe. 
    In lieu of the sausage or in addition to? Sounds great either way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Try adding some pulled pork to the recipe. 
    In lieu of the sausage or in addition to? Sounds great either way.
    I do it in addition. Easy way to get some smoke into the beans. I add it towards the end and mix rigioursly. It's great.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did have hickory in the Egg for smoke.  It definitely comes through in the finished cook.  I stir it 3-4 times while cooking thinking it improves smoke absorption.  I did mix in some pulled pork on my plate - can't go wrong with that
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great- thanks for sharing the details.  I have the same dutch oven and the setup on the small is perfect.  I am cooking a pot roast with this set up tomorrow.  I will definitely be trying these rice and beans soon as well.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I did have hickory in the Egg for smoke.  It definitely comes through in the finished cook.  I stir it 3-4 times while cooking thinking it improves smoke absorption.  I did mix in some pulled pork on my plate - can't go wrong with that
    This sounds great...  Will do it soon..