Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear

Options
How to do a reverse sear

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Bring your meat (for example, Ribeye) about 10 or so degrees of desired temp, pull placesetter ... let temp rise to oh say 600 + degrees ... then for me, it's about 2 minutes a side.

A lot of factors involved depending on what your grilling.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    For steaks, I think it's a merit badge. 

Great technique, more involved and takes more time and attention adds to the eggsperience.

Doesn't make it "better" IMHO.

I see more value in a whole tenderloin or standing rib than individual steaks. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SpreadEagleBeagle
    Options
    I agree with Buckeye.  Good for roasts and such.  When doing individual steaks a sear is really all that is necessary.   
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Bring your meat (for example, Ribeye) about 10 or so degrees of desired temp, pull placesetter ... let temp rise to oh say 600 + degrees ... then for me, it's about 2 minutes a side.

We don't need no stinkin' platesetter. The idea is to warm the meat up with little caramelisation. Then sear it...boom

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options

I love the technique for steaks, but do agree with the other posters in that it’s more involved. For me it’s a superior technique as I tend do get better and more consistent results. It’s to easy to over shoot your target temp using hot and fast approaches. In my experience, reverse searing will give you a more consistent temp throughout the steak.

Give it a try and let us know what you think. Don't forget to post the pix.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

We don't need no stinkin' platesetter. The idea is to warm the meat up with little caramelisation. Then sear it...boom
    Steven, agreed ... but the guy only has one post. I'm assuming he's new to egging, wanted to respond with a simple answer. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    No worries. I thought simpler too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SpreadEagleBeagle
    Options
    Hot and fast!  Only way to do a steak imo.  No need to reinvent the wheel.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Most restaurants do it reverse. Just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Buttsaway1    Reverse sear for steaks works best for thick steaks - at least 1.5" thick.  Not worth the effort for thin steaks.  For the sear, temp is not really important - you want hot coals. Get the steak as close as you can to the hot coals. You want as much direct radiant heat to quickly put a nice brown crust on the steak. Flip often.  I usually pull from the indirect portion of the cook at least 15º below target.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    +1 to what @jtcBoynton said. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    IMHO you can do it with or without a PS. I prefer without. High grate direct fire, about 225 if you can keep it that low. Season as desired and put on the grill, I put the SS grate on top since that's not where the grill marks come from. Keep a close eye on it. Yes, makes more sense with a thick steak, but can be done with a thin one, just darn hard to measure the temperature. Probe with a thermometer to about 110-120. Pull it and foil wrap it. Fire up to about 500 low direct with a cast iron grate. Grill 45 sec per side, then about 30 sec per side - that way you get the two sets of grill marks.
    LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I do it with a CI skillet on the main grid and the steak on a raised grid above it. If shooting for medium rear, pull steak at 110, raised grid and skillet.  Get egg to at least 500 or higher sear all sides about a minute or so a side and should be done.  I only do it on steaks over 1.5" if I have the time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yep, preheat the searing vessel as an indirect barrier during the slow smoke.
    Remove top grid and increase temp, drink a beer, sear.  Be careful, white hot cast iron and a burnt acrid sear is not good IMO.  Direct grid at standard height is close enough to the coals.  500 dome for 15 min or so is plenty hot at that level.  The key to CI searing I have learned is the preheat.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Options
    Seems with all the sous vide stuff we forget the good old hot tub method. Just put a steak or chop in a zip lock bag and set in in a pot of hot tap water for an hour or so. Good stuff with thin or thick steals/chops.

Steve 

Caledon, ON