Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first packer brisket, also my first post (pic heavy)

Options
Long time lurker, first time poster. My first brisket cook spurred me to make my first post.

First, let me say that I don't want to be a carbon-copy of other posters' first posts, but I can't help it in certain respects. Mainly, how I could've have even began to cook a piece of meat like brisket without all of the information from posters on this forum. You all have been an invaluable resource for all of my cooks thus far- although I understand that, per forum rules of conduct, I've technically never cooked anything else but this brisket as no pictures of said cooks have been posted.

First, the meat. I live in Indianapolis. My in-laws are in southern Indiana. My father-in-law wanted some brisket for a chili cook-off that was part of their small town's festival. Seemed like a good reason to cook my first brisket. In fairness, I did cook a brisket flat a few months ago that turned out "OK" but a little dry. After further research on this forum, I realized that the flat has this tendency. Anyways, I called a few butcher shops in the area. I eventually went to a small "artesian" butcher shop called Goose the Market that had locally sourced brisket. It was about 14 lbs, it was considered a prime, and I payed way too much.

Since this was my first, I wanted to keep the rub simple. I used a 50-50 mixed of cracked pepper and Kosher salt. We were driving down after work on Friday so I put in on the egg around 2am, hoping it would take around 12-14 hours at about 250.

It ended up cooking quicker than expected. Around 11am SWMBO checked for tenderness at the thick part of the flat and said it was probing with basically no resistance. She's taken off pork butt before, so she did the standard FTC like a pro.

Due to travel and fair events when we got there, it actually sat in FTC state for about 6-7 hours. This was longer than I would've liked. When I finally cut into it at the in-laws, I was very pleased. After each cut along the flat, there was a waterfall of juices that poured out. Seeing that was probably the first time I felt like I'd had real success with a long cook.

As I said above, I never could have cooked something like this without all of the knowledge on this forum. Brisket (too me) was very intimidating. Being able to research my cook on this forum helped my confidence with this cook. 

Thanks guys.
Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    That is one beautiful cook - congrats!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice...

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    First up=Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great cook right there.
    And full marks to SWMBO for making the call that many are unwilling to do.
    BTW-with that result you did not pay too much.  I'm sure all enjoyed the banquet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fljoemon
    Options
    Great cook .. well worth the price you paid.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What a great first post. Way to go brother, the grub looks excellent. Also, welcome to the forum.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• beatarmy
    Options
    you never mentioned how it tasted?  were you pleased?
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice looking hunk of meat! Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jimithing
    Options
    Nice first post!  And props to your wife for pulling it off.  Mine wouldn't have the slightest clue how to probe for tenderness.  Those prime packers do definitely cook faster than your standard choice packer. 

How did you feel about the salt and pepper on it?  Those are some pretty big chunks of pepper.  Did you crack those yourself?  Looks like they're around a 10 mesh.  Most people down here use about a 16 mesh. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Way to come out swingin!!  Great cook!  Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • acmoser76
    Options
    beatarmy said:
    you never mentioned how it tasted?  were you pleased?

It was delicious. I used a few chunks of mesquite which helped give the chili a nice smoky flavor. There were some nice burnt ends which were great also.

jimithing said:
    Nice first post!  And props to your wife for pulling it off.  Mine wouldn't have the slightest clue how to probe for tenderness.  Those prime packers do definitely cook faster than your standard choice packer. 

How did you feel about the salt and pepper on it?  Those are some pretty big chunks of pepper.  Did you crack those yourself?  Looks like they're around a 10 mesh.  Most people down here use about a 16 mesh. 

I liked the salt and pepper. Being my first packer, I wanted to start very simple. I'm sure I will start experimenting with other rubs on future cooks. Now, the big chunks of pepper were a beginner's mistake. I set the electric pepper mill to the most coarse setting, which ended up being too coarse. Next time I will definitely dial that down some.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Way to come out the gate swinging. Wonderful cook! Hope you keep posting now that you are a heavy hitter!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

My first thought when I opened your post and saw a pic was "ooohhh!" .  Congrats on your first brisket.  You are right.  The help from these "old pro's" here on this forum is amazing.