Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Plate for my BGE Table? question about using granite, need feedback.

Options
scruffee81
scruffee81 Posts: 85
edited September 2015 in EGG Table Forum
After having my BGE for a year...and my table made out of cedar...I have wished that I would have incorporated a hot plate in the table top to handle things hot.

I found a place that is going out of business and is selling granite remnants for 10-15 dollars a sq.ft.  When I was talking to the guy he didn't think that granite was the best choice for a hot plate...

I cant think of why not. Does anyone have any experience with using granite as a hot plate on their table top? Is this an issue.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've never used granite, however I can't see why it wouldn't work for lite use.
    I don't know if I would recommend setting something with a lot of thermal mass that was rocket hot on it and leaving it. However setting a grate on it hot should not pose a problem in my opinion.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I have a granite insert on the top of my table and have put a cast iron skillet that was at 400° dome temp directly on the granite with no issue. I don't know that I would put a seared steak skillet at 750° on it but I would think it could handle most stuff. It is rock...

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969 has some knowledge here. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    The counter around my eggs is granite. I put everything on it. Hot grates, 700* pizza stones, cast iron skillets etc. Never had a problem.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't have granite out by my egg, but have them for counter tops and very rarely us a hot pad or anything like that on them.  I don't now why it would be an issue to me. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    "I found a place that is going out of business and is selling granite remnants for 10-15 dollars a sq.ft.  When I was talking to the guy he didn't think that granite was the best choice for a hot plate..."

Maybe that is one of the reasons he was going out of business - not understanding his product.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• omigosh
    omigosh Posts: 17
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a piece of granite built into my table.  I set a hot cast iron skillet on it and it cracked almost all the way in half.  It was only a granite tile, so not as thick as a countertop piece would be. 

Irmo, SC  LBGE and MiniMax

• canuck19
    Options
    i have slate in my table and have no problem putting a pizza stone straight out from the egg at 700 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Actually granite can crack or break relatively easy, or so I have read and experienced. The primary examples are the Rocky Mountains, which are crumbling apart.
    I think if you give the due diligence and proper care you should be ok. If it fails, (which given the circumstances of its use, likely not) you can always replace it with something else. It is a beautiful stone made of interesting minerals.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • scruffee81
    Options
    thanks everyone for the feedback. Im gonna pick it up today. If I have any issues later down the road at any time...Ill update this thread.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    find something handy to elevate the platesetter.  some folks use the spider to elevate hot objects off wood and stone surfaces.

3 leg spider works to elevate the pizza stone off the platesetter too.
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'd just get a couple of pieces.... just enough to place between the top and the hot item.  If it scorches, flip it over.  It that scorches, grab the next piece....  But granite should be fine with items like a PS or a skillet or a grate.

I've had questions on the spider for pizza....  I'm sold now.  Gotta run up to Roswell Hardware now....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I happen to have a couple bricks, which i've covered in foil & use as 'grid raising' devices.  I'll also use them to put my hot platesetter on straight outta the egg.  space them apart so that airflows aroud it, and it's fine.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Granite can suffer from thermal shock, rare as it may be. The sealer has a better chance of being stained when hot which is why many granite companies suggest using trivets, in the case of an outdoor egg table, sealing is prolly not in the plan. I'd go for it and if it cracks it is not a big deal. I used the sink cut out as a hot pad for a number of years without any issues. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Go granit.....get induction for hot plate if you have power available.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Mattman3969 has some knowledge here. 
    Thanks Jason!!! Some how I missed this one.  In most cases the granite will be fine.  Hell I use a weed burner at work to dry it off.  It will take a lot of heat. The high heat may fracture some of the non granite crystals and cause a cosmetic defect but you should be fine with anything coming out of the egg.  
     I will caution you not to place glass dishes or clay pots straight out of the egg directly on granite or you may see your favorite dish explode into multiple pieces from the thermo shock.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For the price being asked, doesn't seem like you would loose much if it cracked, or a polished surface was marred. Perhaps if the granite was damaged so that water got into it, and froze, you might end up w. broken stone. Still, I have a pizza stone I dropped. It broke clean, I just push the edges together and it still works fine after a couple of years.

Note, you can get ceramic shelves for kilns in a variety of shapes and sizes for about the same price as the granite. As far as heat goes, they are comparable to what the Egg is made from, or even better. Not as pretty tho'.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    tjv said:
    find something handy to elevate the platesetter.  some folks use the spider to elevate hot objects off wood and stone surfaces.

3 leg spider works to elevate the pizza stone off the platesetter too.
    t
    I went to the local home store and bought some ceramic corner pieces to use as spacers.   I put a small pizza stone on TOP of the feet-up plate setter to keep even MORE direct heat from the cooking pizza stone, on Top of the grate.

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    @scruffee81 -- I used granite tiles that are only about 1/4" thick on my table.  They are relatively inexpensive and replaceable if needed.  I have had no issue with hot objects on it.