Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB vs Fishbone vs High-que

Probably as polarizing an issue as politics, religion, and lump preferences, but wondered if anyone had thoughts, preferences, etc on stock grate replacements.  Stock grate always seems to clog.  I am tired of jamming a bent coat hanger up through the bottom to clear the ports!

Leaning towards a KAB, but it is the highest price and thinnest metal.  Somewhat concerned about durability.  

Has anyone burned any of the replacement grates out?
Large BGE - 2014
FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
Lake Norman area of NC
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Comments

• Have hq in two eggs, no issues 9 & 6 months old. Have a fish ones in the box, wouldn't foresee an issue. Thinking about using it for searing. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    edited September 2015
    I replaced the Hi-Q with a KAB in my Large, couldn't be happier.  They both provide max airflow but the KAB also covers the six breathing holes higher up the ceramic firebowl, and clogging is now a non-issue.  The improved ease of cleaning is just the icing on the cake.  I've read that the Large KAB has been recently "beefed up", so durability is supposedly no longer an issue.
    I'm still anxious to get a KAB for my Small, for the same reasons (it's supposedly coming soon).  The Hi-Q in my Small is especially prone to dislodging while "stirring old lump" to get rid of the ash, so I will be glad to replace it too.     

I have no experience with the "fishbone".  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I have a Hi-Q and it works well for more air flow much better than the stock. I got the beefed up version KAB and it's the BOMB! great air flow and easy peasy clean out of ash. Just ordered one for my small egg today. all 3 products will last a very long time no doubt but you get the most for your money with the KAB so just order one and I'm sure you will be very happy. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Botch
     Just ordered one for my small egg today. 
    !!!  Jim, are they available now??

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I've been using a Hi-Que in my large for about 4 years, no issues. No experience with the others. The basket would be better for a travel egg though.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • The newer KAB's are thicker metal.  I hv the original with the thinner metal and even it is holding up well. I can't recommend it enough.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Bought the KAB for my MM and XL. Love them for many reasons, but if the only reason was ease of cleaning, it was worth the cost!  Best Money I have spent on accessories for the BGEs thus far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looking at the kick ash basket website it recommends using the cast iron charcoal grate in addition to the basket? Do you all do this? Doesn't it decrease the potential of added airflow?
    Greensboro, NC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I use the cast iron grate in the XL, many I have asked do not. I have noticed it does not impede air flow. It is actually much better than before. The MM I have operated without the CI grate, and have seen zero difference than operating with it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I have an earlier "thin" metal KAB in both large eggs.  The KAB on my primary egg is a year old ... OEM grate was removed on day one.  You can notice some thinning of the metal, but still no sagging of the bottom.  With the increased thickness of the new baskets, removing the OEM grate on a large egg should be a no brainer.

Cleaning out the ash is one advantage, but there are several more.  It's a given that you get better air flow through the bottom, but you also get better air flow through the side holes in the fire box.  Plus, you get to check to see if the side holes are clear each time you pull the KAB ... no digging through the lump or pulling it by hand to check. 

Here's what I do when I reach the bottom of the lump bag:  Shake out the used lump to remove the ash and dump the now ash free lump into a a disposable aluminum pan.  Then I dump the last of the new lump into the KAB and shake it to remove the fines, install the basket with the now "fine-free" lump into the egg, dump the old lump on top, and I'm good to go.  I know that some folks burn the fines with no problems, but I like the risk free approach.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm still using the OE fire grate on my LG w/ no issue but may go to the KAB on it later. MM has the KAB and no issue with airflow control or firebox holes getting clogged etc, along with easy cleanup (as @Botch stated). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Yes the KAB for the small is ready and waiting for you to order! :)

http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jeepester47 thanks for the tip with the end of the bags of lump! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Botch
    edited September 2015
    Yes the KAB for the small is ready and waiting for you to order! :)

http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/
    Wo0t!!!  Thank you!  

EDIT:  aaaaand ordered!  

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Got the KAB today.  So far a big fan.  Think I am going to really like it!   Thanks for the input everyone!   Happy egging! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• Congrats LKNEgg on the KAB, I knew you would be happy with it! I will never recommend something that I have not used myself....... I'm in West Jefferson just minutes from APP State! We will be going by Lake Norman on our way south to FL for the winter. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• LKNEgg
    Jupiter - first cook tonight went well.  No clogged ports and I was using the end of a bag with lots of small pieces.  We will be up in Boone next weekend for homecoming.  Beautiful time of year to be in the mountains!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Ordered 2 KAB yesterday. Can't wait for the ease of clean out.  Been a high-que user for a while and looking forward to the upgrade.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • LKNEgg
    @apinion based on my short experience you will love it!  It's not one of the required things, but it makes life easier!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• KAB next on my buy list!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I'm int high-tech!
    KAB on a Hi-cue on my Large BGE and KAB on my fishbone grate on my KJ Jr.
    All the way!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • LKNEgg said:
    Got the KAB today.  So far a big fan.  Think I am going to really like it!   Thanks for the input everyone!   Happy egging! 
    Is this a large?  Doesn't look like you can get much lump in that basket.  That would not be good. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Terrebandit you just fill it as you normally would for L&S etc. Lump burns down, shake the basket, fill and light.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2015
    @Terrebandit you just fill it as you normally would for L&S etc. Lump burns down, shake the basket, fill and light.
    ok,  thanks. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Botch said:
    but the KAB also covers the six breathing holes higher up the ceramic firebowl, and clogging is now a non-issue.  
    That feature above plus the handles for lifting the unburned lump out easily were the driving factors for my choice of KAB over the High-Q.  I haven't seen the Fishbone to comment on it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    The PS Woo from Ceramic Grill Store and the Kick Ash Basket are my favorite accessories. I have a High-Q in my SBGE under my KAB. The KAB has improved my start times more than I could have imagined. Big fan of the KAB here!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GOOD Choice!  KAB all the way.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,464
    made my own fishbone grate out of scrap metal, not as elegant but works well ...

canuckland
  • LKNEgg
    @Terrebandit  it is a lbge.  As noted above just fill as normal.  The lump pictured burned for 11 hrs at 225 with a flame boss 200 managing.   Gave them a trial run together!  Pleased with both! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Thanks @LKNEgg
    Dave - Austin, TX