Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Member of Egghead Nation - Previously had a Primo

Options
Had a built in Primo which obviously stayed behind when we moved.  After much looking, decided on a Large Egg in a Challenger table.  
This one is moving with me next time!

Love this Forum and learning a lot.  Using Egg 3-4 times/week.  Steaks last night and Salmon tomorrow.  Haven't tried pizza or brisket yet - any tips?

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the herd.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I wish I had a primo. They are the bomb. The ovals anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  Bring us pix of your cooks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome, pics or it didn't happen. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the forum.  You obviously have the ceramic cooking deal in-hand.  This place can be quite a ride late nights and weekends...especially when fueled with the requisite adult supervisory beverages. ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Saw the Primo in action at my nephews house. The extended grate set up that comes standard and included in the price has the egg beat. I own two eggs. My next one will definitely be a Primo. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome aboard! 

Just curious,  but what made you switch? I came very close to buying a primo XL. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I wish I had a primo. They are the bomb. The ovals anyway.
    Yet you wonder about the fence?  Hmmm.....
    Flint, Michigan
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Welcome to the team! I can't help much on the brisket....but, with Pizza, make sure you either get the BGE stone or another stone that not too large that it blocks air flow. The biggest mistake I made in the beginning was running the Egg too hot because I was trying to imitate the artisan pizza places that cook at 1,000*. Most pizza dough has too high of a sugar content to do that and your crust will turn black on the bottom and stick to the stone.

I say run the Egg/stone up to around 450/500 and check your pizza after about 8/10 minutes to see where it is. You'll dial in on how you like it. I posted some pizzas last night just below this thread.....check em out and post pics when you give yours a shot!
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:
    Welcome aboard! 

Just curious,  but what made you switch? I came very close to buying a primo XL. 
    Same here, ended up with the XL egg and very happy, but it was close.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You will need a thick pizza stone. Pampered Chef are renowned to break and shatter in the egg. Any BGE, Primo, Vision, Old Stone, Ceramic Grill Store, etc will work good for a pizza stone. 

I find the best way to cook pizza with a plate setter is legs down with a small air gap between the the plate setter and the pizza stone. (You don't want to put the pizza stone on top of the plate setter since your crust will burn way before your top ever has a chance to finish up. That air gap is important) The air space between the plate setter can be done with old egg feet, stainless nuts, crushed beer cans, foil balls, or anything that is grill safe that will raise it.

You can also go with the plate setter legs up with the pizza stone resting on the grid. I've done it this way a few times but I find the crust to be better and more evenly cooked when you have a small air gap between the plate setter and pizza stone. (Just my personal opinion) 

You can also cook pizza with the Adjustable Rig if you decide to skip the plate setter all together. (From Ceramic Grill Store/Also BGE owner)  

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• GatorConch
    Options
    Thanks egghead nation - doing wings and Pizza for Gator vs ol miss and fsu vs wake tomorrow and will post pics!,,,