Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ready to make bacon

Options
Now to do some research on items to use to cure this and hopefully have some good bacon soon. 

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I pm'd you some information you may find helpful and time saving. Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I pm'd you some information you may find helpful and time saving. Good luck!
    Thanks @bgebrent
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    You're welcome sir.  Had to get past the Tar Heel (gag) thing lol!  You'll have fun!  Good luck!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Homemade bacon rocks. Text if you need help. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    This is now on my to do list. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, you won't turn back once you do it!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I just need to figure out how to do it. I don't know anything about it other than I love bacon. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you don't have Charcuterie by Rulman, google the basic cure. That's a good starting point. Also, WWW.playingwithsmokeandfire.com has some good recipes. @DoubleEgger
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks Brother Yolk
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, I'll pm you what I sent Matt which includes Ruhlman's basic cure. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    and for the love of jeezus, follow the directions. :)

no idea how many posts in the past have started with "what did i do wrong" followed by "i didnt have any pink salts so i used regular salt, but i was worried so i doubled the amount. i had no sugar, so i used applesauce, and i got nervous that the meat would go bad after a week in the fridge so i froze it while i was curing it.  any ideas why it didn't come out right?"

that's an exag, but not by very much.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    In my quest for low sodium foods, I find I can control it by simply not using it, or using less anyway. A reduced amount of salt in beans, burgers or bread is fine. You get used to it (to the point where a "normal" amount is disgustingly salty). But bacon? How do you reduce the sodium in a CURED food? Less cure? Less time? Both? How little is TOO little? 

I found a reduced sodium bacon (Oscar Mayer, I think) that's not bad (for no more bacon than I eat), but I also recently found a convenient local source for pork bellies. Although, at $3.76, it's a dollar more per pound up here outside the pork belt. 

The only time I made bacon was a few years ago, before I had to care about sodium intake. Frankly, it tasted no better than store bought, but that could have been the cure I used. If I thought I could control the sodium, I'd try it again. I even have an old commercial Globe slicer that I almost never use.

If anyone has or comes across any low sodium bacon info, I'd love to know. I haven't read Ruhlman on the subject, but I have the feeling, low sodium anything is anathema to him. Does Charcuterie address this? Surely there are others here who would benefit too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Just off the top of my head Michael...no

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    Options
    pink salts alone will cure it....  might try the regular amount of pinks salts, but reduce the additional kosher salt by half or even three quarters, and see what you get.  it will certainly be safe to eat, just likely not as firm (and salty).

you could also air dry for a few days, say 4 days perhaps, to reduce the water content and firm it up.  worth a shot.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Get ready for awesome to happen. Throw it in the cure today and you'll be ready to smoke next Saturday and eat homemade bacon with your eggs Sunday morning. Then BLTs for lunch... And on it goes!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Carolina Q, I don't believe low sodium is addressed in Charcuterie.  I like Darby's idea.  Could make for some fun experimenting.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I can't find pig belly around here. I've called most of the local processors. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    and for the love of jeezus, follow the directions. :)

no idea how many posts in the past have started with "what did i do wrong" followed by "i didnt have any pink salts so i used regular salt, but i was worried so i doubled the amount. i had no sugar, so i used applesauce, and i got nervous that the meat would go bad after a week in the fridge so i froze it while i was curing it.  any ideas why it didn't come out right?"

that's an exag, but not by very much.

N o worries, I have pink salt and the other ingredients too. I've had a rough time sourcing belly, until I went to costco today. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    I thought Ruhlman said if it is too salty soak in water and keep doing that until it is how you like it. This is after you cure it.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @bill37, you should always soak the belly after the cure.  For me 45 minutes works best.  @Carolina Q is looking for a low Na alternative.  You are correct.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I dont soak. I use the saltbox method, which is a lighter amount of cure. Works for me.  

• bgebrent
    Options
    Salt box method is another alternative.  Just not my preference.  Not gonna mess with a winning technique.Then I put it on top of meatloaf!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Carolina Q said:
    " I have the feeling, low sodium anything is anathema to him."

With their recipes, it would.  Ruhlman and Polcyn salt percentages are often too high IMO.
    Their NY Times one for example, 3.6% if I recall.  Mid 2s here is good.   

Low Na bacon is difficult.  The salt and sugar are a balancing act, with the sugar cutting the saltiness.  Scaling back drastically on salt would produce an awfully sweet end product.  Staci has had great success using sugar substitutes for the white and brown sugar(Splenda).  Wonder if cutting some of the salt with a salt substitute would help?  I'd stick with Diamond Crystal Salt Sense, remember it getting recommended by Consumer Reports.  

http://www.target.com/p/diamond-crystal-salt-sense-iodized-salt-13-oz/-/A-14710179

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."