Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moldy egg!

Couple of weeks of rain and a busy schedule have kept me away from my egg. Today when I opened her up I was greeted with this!

I always keep her covered with the official green egg dome cover, I don't know what else to do. 
Any suggestions?

Comments

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Cleaning the egg is the easy part.... The cast iron grate is another story.... I guess I'll be taking that to the shop to hit with the sand blaster. 
  • If it was me, I would do a good burn off, 400-600+ for a few hours and then oil the grill and heat it back up and cure it.  Best of luck!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Just throw some lump in and fire it all up to 600+ and you be good to go!   Wipe the cast with some oil after cooling down.  Should be good to carry on!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2015
    TWO WEEKS?! I was away from home (and my egg) for three MONTHS last summer. When I returned, I had some penicillin growing, but nowhere near that much!!

Just light some lump and let 'er rip for a while. It'll burn off. Then oil the grid and cook something.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nasty. Burn baby burn. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ckali7
    Does anyone think I should quick blast the cast iron grate? I brushed it off and cleaned it with some steel wool but it's still rust stained in a few places. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    edited September 2015
    If it's cast iron it'll get rid of the rust with heat. I haven't ever understood a cover on a grill. If it's out in the rain it's going to get moisture no matter what.
  • ckali7
    Just trying to mitigate some of the long term damage that results from constant exposure. My patio isn't covered so the egg gets long hours of exposure to direct sun. 
  • Heat it up, then once cool, brush it, oil it and heat it again, if needed repeat then cook something.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I keep my eggs covered.  The XL in particular has seen some longer stretches of not being used.  I have never had a mold issue.  A good burn off is sure in order.  Maybe you should let the egg get good and hot at the end of a cook before closing it down, if you know it will be unused for a while - kill the mold spores and other baddies.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    the cover may be trapping moisture in

no cover here and im in south texas and my egg is no worse off than day 1
  • Clean burn, scrub and season the cast....back in bid'ness!!

~Eric - Keepin' it real in Stone Mountain
                       LBGE, homemade cedar table
                       SBGE, table in process
                       Auber temp. control & blower
                       iGrill2 & iGrill mini

"Hey Utah, make it two!"