Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Komodo cooking *lots of pictures*

Options
I haven't been posting only reading since I got my first Komodo.  I have since sold my BGE in preparation for my second Komodo 23" due the beginning of October.

Here are some of my cook...some ribs

Some wings

A little pizza

Some rotisserie chicken and corn

Brisket Montreal smoked meat style

Stuffed burgers

And how about some steak

Thats just some cooks I knocked off.

Thanks for looking...Tinyfish

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... nice looking cooks.  Since we have a fella cooking on Kamado Joe's and no one has run him off, doubt that anyone will complain about a guy cooking and posting on a Bentley edition.

What differences in Kamado operation have you noticed relative to the BGGE?  What's easier ... harder ... not possible vs the BGE.

Not sure about the side table though ... is that an option?  Or, did you spend your egging money on the Kamado with little left over for tables?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• MrWilliams
    Options
    You need to jazz that grill up a little bit.  Maybe some gold chains would set it off nicely.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Cooks look delicious!  Also interested if the difference in food off a Komodo vs BGE exists or if it's all about the esthetic?  Still, very nice!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not sure about the side table though ... is that an option?  Or, did you spend your egging money on the Kamado with little left over for tables?

@Jeepster47   Look a little closer.  Tinyfish is using the four cinder block table.  That is substantially more money, and more practical than the cheaper 3 cinder block side table.

@tinyfish That is a good looking unit for sure.  Is the new one an exact match?  Nice cooks btw.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Beautiful cooks and beautiful cooker.  I have to say though...with that work of art cooker you really need to step up your side table game ;)

I am sure @bosco0633 might be interested in how these cook as well. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187216/i-upgraded

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Jeepster47
     I don't mind posting but I don't want to cause any trouble or start fights like my cooker better then yours.

I am waiting on a teak cabinet with a 304 stainless steel insert that will go in between my two Komodo's to replace my current table.

BGE and Komodo work the same except the Komodo needs much less air flow to cook at the same temperatures.

The refractory cement along with the insulation help a great deal.  At dome temps of 225f to 350f you can keep your hand on the dome as long as you like. At higher temps the dome gets warm but you won't burn yourself by touching it.

The main reason I switched was for the difference in quality and fit and finish.

There are  no bands to adjust

No worries about cracking

No issues with dome crashing closed

The 3/8" of 304 stainless steel  grids

And they look awesome. 

Is a Komodo necessary no but if you can get one they are no doubt 100% worth the money if thats what your into.

• Tinyfish
    Options
    blasting said:

@Jeepster47   Look a little closer.  Tinyfish is using the four cinder block table.  That is substantially more money, and more practical than the cheaper 3 cinder block side table.

@tinyfish That is a good looking unit for sure.  Is the new one an exact match?  Nice cooks btw.

I'm glad you noticed I had to save extra to upgrade to four cinder blocks.

I went with the exact some size and colour with a teak cabinet to go in between. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Absolutely stunning Komodo. Good looking grub as well. 

All you need is a robe now.  Woooo! 

• Tinyfish
    Options
    @DoubleEgger thanks and I have the same robe except in black...LOL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Good looking cooks @tinyfish thanks for sharing- like the versatility of the grill.
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    @Tinyfish

We've got something in common:

I enjoy using both of them on a regular basis. That is a Large BGE in the photo.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    @DoubleEgger thanks and I have the same robe except in black...LOL
    Don't be a stranger. A good cook is a good cook regardless of hardware. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @nolan8v

That is one stunning Big Bad 32" you have there. If I'm not mistaken thats cobalt blue...an excellent colour. Every time I see a different colour I say to myself "maybe I should have got that one". 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but where are you purchasing these beauties?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Were you able to see one in person before you pulled the trigger? 
  • nolan8v
    Options
    @Tinyfish

You are absolutely correct. It is a Cobalt Blue Big Bad 32".
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Gamecockeggman

The website for them is www komodokamado com
    Chris Rose 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Tinyfish congrats on your upgrade, awesome cooks and thanks for sharing. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Tinyfish
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Were you able to see one in person before you pulled the trigger? 
    I bought sight unseen.  I researched Komodo's like crazy so I was confident in my purchase without seeing it.  
     Since their are no retail stores you have to buy from pictures.  The Komodo owner will hook you up with someone in your area if you want.

Some of the colours very from one batch to the next so he will group some tiles/pebbles together and send you some close up photos to help you decide.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Tiny fish when is the next one gonna be there? I can't wait to see them and that table all in one photo. Oh yeah....I'm jealous....
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Tiny fish when is the next one gonna be there? I can't wait to see them and that table all in one photo. Oh yeah....I'm jealous....
    I am hoping to take delivery by the second week of October or sooner.  I live in Toronto and my shipment landed in Vancouver a few days ago.  The shipment has to clear customs then make its way to Toronto.   I will post some pics when its all set up.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Looking forward to it to say the least. Congrats!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Those Komodos are gorgeous! The food looks good, too.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Looks awesome!   Cooks and komodo!  Looked at the website, wow I still have sticker shock!  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Tinyfish
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    Looks awesome!   Cooks and komodo!  Looked at the website, wow I still have sticker shock!  
    I was the same way.  My mistake was I kept looking and researching then I was hooked.  

In Toronto BGE's are very expensive then you add the adjustable rig and some other goodies and bam you spent a fortune. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Aggggh! I want one! I need to move first.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Don't be a stranger! Post more. If KJs can post surely you can. We can all drool over your cookers 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Stop Lurking!  Start posting again.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub for sure. That table and those Komodos look spectacular. Very nice set up my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bosco0633
    Options
    tiny was a bad influence in getting me hooked on KK.  I really love to cook and I loved my komado's, until I started looking at the kk.

They are aesthetically appealing no doubt about it, but more importantly they are super efficient.  

The engineering behind the kk is second to none from all that I have read, and from what Dennis has told me.  The refractory cement has a higher thermal rating, never cracks as a result. they have a fire pit that is wedged into the bottom and is in two pieces.  It can expand but is controlled expansion so no worries of a bowl crack.  The body is wrapped with insulation just like a high end offset fire box. It has a vermiculite insulation on the exterior to keep all the warmth in and prevent you from burning yourself on the exterior shell.

Then Dennis got all technical, but the grout has flexible properties to prevent tile cracking and it is also filled with areogel.  This stuff has crazy insulation capabilities and is as light as air.

The dome is no effort lifting was another factor for me.  I don't need to worry about the dome crashing down anymore either.  

The 32" has 128 lbs. of stainless still inside grilling.  It is hard core stainless !!!

the last thing was that, in all of my research I have never seen one complaint and not one warranty claim.  

Oh and one more thing that I liked...

the air is forced through the charcoal by design.  On a ceramic the air flows in and can go under the fire bowl and out as well as through the charcoal.  With a kk, and the way the firebowl is designed, it forces the air in through the charcoal only, creating a more efficient burn.  

One load of lump on a low and slow can go for 85 hours on a 23" kk.  

I loved tiny fishes table so much that I ordered the same one!! I wanted the 2 23" set up like tiny's, but fell in love with the 32. So I am doing the 23/32 combo with teak table!!