Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kosher salt(tough stuff)

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright all you engineers out there, I'm about defeated trying to dissolve kosher salt! gotta be a better way. I've boiled,crushed,beat ,blended,stirred and shook,still takes longer to make brine than it does to cook.REPEAT--gotta be a better way.Is there such a thing as liquid kosher salt?If not, someone should invent some and get rich.Also has anyone mixed up enough salt at one time to make several gallon batches as needed?Thanks for any ideas,my last resort is put it in a tub and stomp it like grapes,might alter flavor:). Bob

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bamabob:[p]Hmmmmm! Sounds to me like you have rock salt? Kosher salt by Morton is very easy to disolve.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]I agree with dmj5x9. Morton's Kosher salt comes in a 3 lb. box with a pour spout. The crystals are no bigger than 1/16 of an inch and dissolve as fast, if not faster than table salt.[p]Spin[p]
  • Or rocky Kosher salt Bamabob.:-) I would get a fresh box. Don't forget to check the recipes on it for some great salt roast ideas.
    C~W

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Bamabob,
    ThanksC~W,Spin,djm5x9, the salt is suppose to be fresh,but it is rather coarse,it's made by North American Salt Company.Maybe its too cheap only cost .88 for 3# box.I'll get a box of Morton and give it a try.Char-Woody, glad to hear from you again,I'm slowly getting the holes cut in the tile table tops,using a 4 in. Jepson saw.BTW these kosher boxes doesn't have any good recipes on them only one for a crunch salad.Thanks Guys.Bob

• Bamabob, yabba doooooo..good deal on the tile. BTW.. we only use true blue Mortons Kosher salt. Thats the one with the recipes..They have a really great salt crust beef roast recipe. You make a really thick paste of the salt all over the meat top, sides, and bottom..And there is little salt taste left on the meat. Amazing!!
    C~W
    I promise, I will be quiet again...cya!!