Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Rubs

Options
What are you using on your birds? I can't seem to find anything that gives me that WOW factor. Most of the ones I've tried seem to be overloaded with salt. I'm not anti salt but I don't want my chicken to be a salt lick either. 

Recommendations are appreciated. 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I marinate chicken initially, using teriyaki and pineapple juice 3:1. I use my own rub of garlic (40%), onion(30%)black pepper (10%), chili powder(10%), smoked paprika (8%), and a touch of cayenne (balance of mix) Percentages are approximate, but it works for all of us, which have very different tastes.
    everyone seems to like it. I d not use the salt, I get the sodium from the marinade.
    Hope this helps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Try a dry rub. Salt, pepper, garlic powder,  onion powder, some season salt,  and lemon zest.  Go under skin on whole chickens. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    CS.jpg 297.3K
    CS1.jpg 314.1K

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like the Montreal chicken season for something quick and easy.  If you are looking for more of a BBQ flavor I really like the Oak Ridge Secret weapon or Game Bird and Chicken. 

Get a sampler pack for $5 shipped:  
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/ultimate-value-sample-rub-pack/

If you are looking for something more herb-y then try something like Carolina Q's Wow Chicken

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Jupiter Jim said: This is all I use on chicken...........

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Raging river and Jamaican firewalk

YukonRon said:
    I marinate chicken initially, using teriyaki and pineapple juice 3:1. I use my own rub of garlic (40%), onion(30%)black pepper (10%), chili powder(10%), smoked paprika (8%), and a touch of cayenne (balance of mix) Percentages are approximate, but it works for all of us, which have very different tastes.
    everyone seems to like it. I d not use the salt, I get the sodium from the marinade.
    Hope this helps.
    Do you rinse the marinade off before applying the rub?
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom gives chicken the "wow factor"
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Buckeye79 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Hope this helps.
    Do you rinse the marinade off before applying the rub?
    I kind of "Dry the poultry" by using a paper towel. I place them on a rack let the excess marinade drip off, then a quick roll on a paper towel, using nothing but the weight of the pieces. It does not remove all of the marinade.
    Afterwards, I apply enough dry rub for complete coverage of the pieces.
    When I want a crispier skin, I will add some cornmeal to the rub. The skin is good when it is done without the corn meal, but sometimes the children beg for crispy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Did someone say WOW? =) Here's one of my favorites. Though the last time I did it, I didn't make a paste. I just oiled the bird first, then applied the dry rub. Either way works though I think I like the dry rub a little better. This is the paste... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166301/wow-chicken/p1

Coffee rub is good too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    For boneless skinless l like a marinade.  Don't really use bought stuff. 

I like to infuse my oil though,  seems to pack more flavor. 

Heat canola oil, with fresh garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano. Let cool and add lemon zest and the juice of lemon. 

I pound the breasts out or sometimes butterfly if really thick. I also poke holes for optimum flavor throughout. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Thanks guys/gals. I have several of the rubs mentioned including Secret Weapon, Raging River and Firewalk. All of them are just "meh" on a bird in my opinion. I haven't found a Dizzy Pig product that I really like so I quit buying them a while back. 

After I posted this, I remembered Herr Mickey's coffee rub. I've never used it but I use a coffee based rub on brisket. What's the consensus on that for a bird? 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    This is the best chicken I've made on the egg.  Not a rub, but fantastic.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182561/gai-yang-thai-style-grilled-chicken#latest

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I like bone suckin and swamp venom.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    How long are you marinating @YukonRon ?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    How long are you marinating @YukonRon ?
    If I think about it, about 4 hours, most of the time, less than 2 hours. The chicken seems to absorb the flavor quite readily, so you really do not need a whole lot of time.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Double, this is a little different but its outstanding on chicken. Heck its outstanding on darn near everything.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    My Son uses Chef Paul's on almost everything too! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SGH
    Options
    My Son uses Chef Paul's on almost everything too! :)
    You should try it yourself. It honestly is great on just about everything. What it does to redfish should be illegal. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have some in the pantry and have used it for years but only use it on fish! I have some wings I plan on doing tomorrow so I will try it on some of them. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SGH
    Options
    but only use it on fish! 
    Did y'all have many reds this year? They were lacking over our way this year compared to normal. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have no idea on the reds because I no longer live in Jupiter, I'm retired and spend the summers in West Jefferson NC, winters in Okeechobee FL. I grew up in Palm Beach county and fished from Sebastian to the Keys for 50 years. Now most of my fishing is in the NC streams for trout and Lake Okeechobee for Crappie! Trout fishing was great this summer and I'm hoping for a good catch this winter.  

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SGH
    Options
     Now most of my fishing is in the NC streams for trout and Lake Okeechobee for Crappie! 
    I got to fish the lake back in 2004, the brim fishing was insane!! I have never heard of a "crappie" ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Speckled perch, awesome eating and fun on light tackle with jigs.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I like the Montreal chicken season for something quick and easy.  
    +1 on the Montreal Chick Rub.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm doing pollo a la brasa for dinner. I'll let you know.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Mickeys coffee rub is great on a bird and I also like Cluck and Squeal All Purpose on a bird. Did you try the cookies flavor enhancer! That stuff rocks on chicken!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Mickeys coffee rub is great on a bird and I also like Cluck and Squeal All Purpose on a bird. Did you try the cookies flavor enhancer! That stuff rocks on chicken!
    I was so impressed with Cookies on pork chops that I didn't think of it on yardbird. I will definitely give it a try. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Part I Spatchcock or Whole Chicken:

If you want an herb based flavor for a change of pace, just don't go too heavy.

Bonus: FWIW I alternate between their beef offering and Holy Cow for burgers, steaks and brisket.  (Amazon sells the szeged chicken and steak rubs together.)

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore