Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The first forum mascot...buffalo

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
I do believe that the buffalo should be crowned as the first forum mascot.  And full credit to @SGH for raising awareness...

Perhaps a catalyst for more entertaining discussions throughout the adult beverage fueled evening.  
Edit:  lifetime for this thread...
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, OK. From the land of my grandfather:

but sorry, a different continent.

• lousubcap
    Options
    Good that you have the pics and memories...cherish them.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good that you have the pics and memories...cherish them.
    That's just an illustration. Getting back to the bison lands of Poland is a big dream of mine.

As far as pics, and memories, I found the oldest pic so far (fully dressed, of course) of Grandpa and Grandma sitting on a beach, maybe on Lake Mich, or around Detroit circa 1915. He was an iron worker coming from near Gdansk. Have a few dozen of his tools. His bench vise opens wide enough to hold a sewer pipe. As a teen, I used it for weight training. Used one of his hammers today to chisel out a foundation crack in concrete.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Yeah, OK. From the land of my grandfather:

but sorry, a different continent.

That is awesome.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @gdenby - I likely have a few more laps of the sun than do you but regardless, if your big dream is to get back to Poland then I would suggest you get into serious planning and subsequent execution of the journey.  I have seen too many dreams and aspirations dashed by the uncontrollable medical findings that surface without warning.  
    And yes, the more laps of the sun the more likely to get snake-bitten by the Big C word-cancer and all that brings with it.  Strike while the iron is hot.  
    Edit: just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Viva le Buffalo! 

Options
    Can we make Kentucky Jelly the forum condiment?  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Did somebody say Buffalo?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will post this here as well I suppose.  I need to raise awareness of the greatness of the guy on the buffalo. 
    https://youtu.be/iJ4T9CQA0UM

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• swordsmn
    Options
    I have no idea where this is coming from but if I owned a buffalo, I would call him Theodore... @Jaime calls him Teddy.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Oops Wrong Buffalo Bill :tongue: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have given this much thought. My beautiful wife and I have chosen to live our lives now. We will have plenty of time later to sit in the rocking chairs on the porch, should we make it that long. We have done much in our lives, there is more we wish to do. We will do it. No need to wait. We will work a bit longer in our careers, but we will live life as full as we can, every day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ron, best wishes in CO!  Never forget your bluegrass roots!  All the best brother!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• peggyc
    Options
    Yes, the buffalo!
  • Pghegger
    Options
    Taken on our trip to Yellowstone this summer

• SGH
    Options
    Pghegger said:
    Taken on our trip to Yellowstone this summer

Awesome brother!!

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Reminds me of that Costner movie, "Dances With Goats" or whatever it was called.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Botch said:

I echo this, and it doesn't even have to be serious like cancer.
    My dream retirement is to strap a tent and sleeping bag onto the back of my motorcycle, and just... ride.  See as much of this continent as I can.  
    Right now, I have trouble holding the throttle open for more than about five hours, because of arthritis.  And my knees have trouble staying bent for that long, too.  
    We really should go through school, THEN do our retirement, our work career and then die; that would be so much better.  
    Ever consider a Harley trike? My 74 year old neighbor has been a Harley rider since age 12. After he had his knees replaced he bought a trike and loves it! He and his wife still take long trips on it and even put it in trailer and take it to TX each Spring and down to Mexico in the winter months.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    Options
    A small addition, which I may have mentioned before.

Indiana's state symbol has a buffalo on it. There's a neighborhood a few blocks from me called "Parkovash."  It was where the Bison cows calved in the spring, and so the Potawatami, who spoke some French, called it "Cow Park," or "Parque au Vache." (excuse my French, which is all but non-existant.)

A few years ago, a local farm started raising bison, and I went to visit them. The lady of the house chaperoned me, cautioning that I not make any sudden moves. Bison have poor eyesight, and have a tendency to rush at things they don't recognize, and then try to skid to a halt when they figure out what it is.  The youngest cow, and her calf came over first, then the rest of the herd. The bull just stood at the top of the hill. I asked how much the bull weighed. He looked like a shaggy wall. She said he weighed 4200 pounds when they got him, but was now far too big and untractable to be weighed again.

A few months later, I went out again to make a meat purchase. No one was around. Eventually, the gent drove up to the shop w. a load of railroad ties on forks on the front of his tractor. I asked him what was going on. He said, "Oh, someone decided to take a walk last night, and now I've got to rebuild the fence."

And another anecdote. My daughter worked as an intern at a timber wolf refuge. They had a small number of bison there, including one very old bull, who was literally out to pasture, mostly sleeping. They'd let the twin male alpha wolves out to practice their wolf behavior. They came creeping up behind the old bull, and were down getting ready to make a run at his back side. The bull stood up and the alpha males turned tail immediately.