Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork emergency

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I have read about all of these all the time, but here is my dilemma. My butt was up to about 167 when I left the house for an hour and a half. The fire was at about 275 so I closed the bottom when we left. That was my mistake as the fire was down to 150 when I got back and the meat was down to 147. It had reached 167 so I know it's cooked. I relit the fire and it's cooking again. What temp should it be to pull it off on the second go round? If it gets to 200 won't it be overcooked since it was up then down? Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    Only an hour and a half you should be okay as far as safety goes....except you might want to get the spark screens so you can leave her going while your gone. I would go as if nothing happened. I've had similar situations occur, no guru just lots of setting the clock and checking on the fire through the night. I'm not likely to buy another Egg in October so I might have to take the plunge into gurudom.

• Larry McSass
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    So you think it's okay to still pull off at 200 eventhough it dropped 20 degrees then came back up?

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Larry McSass,[p]All the commentary here has been based on USDA guidelines (or avoidance thereof) and has said that the danger of food poisoning from toxins left by bacteria occurred if the meat was left at a temperature between 40 and 140 degrees for four hours or more. Clearly that did not happen in your case since the meat was above 140 both before and after. It seems to me that you just need to complete the cooking process which is generally considered to be at somewhere between 190 and 200 degrees (more or less.) The 20 degree drop doesn't seem particularly relevant to the cooking process so I think you just need to go for it!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    why the h*ck did you shut her down?[p]anyway, there's more than anough hooplah re 4 hours and 40-140. much of that is overblown. you are way more than safe.[p]yeah, it's not a good idea to drop back and then reheat, because it is more drying than if you just stayed on course. but you won't notice any difference. pull it at anywhere between 185-200.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    I did four butts last week for my daughter's graduation afterparty on Saturday. Pulled and refrigerated until the day, then put the lot in a roaster over water at 200 deg and added a liter of coke to reheat. Got rave reviews from all. The coke was Ron Pratt's suggestion. Works great.
    Bob