Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHALLENGE! Need help re-creating Perry's Pork Chop (Houston, Tx)

2»

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @cazzy - I stand corrected! 

Will have to go back to Perry's. There is one 3 miles down the road from my house.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    We at at their Austin location -- on Fridays they offer a lunch special of about $12 (I think).
    The chop was awesome!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Joan, sounds like a fun experiment.  Can you bring Lloyd and spend the night?  Maybe we could even have a mini Coop party.... ;;)
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Rarshaiz
    Rarshaiz Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    Was there any updates on this?

I came across this a few months back after eating at Perry's. From what I have been able to dig up from listening to the video and other research including eating this chop I have come to find that they are 5 day dry cured I also noticed from eating a chop recently that there is a ton of sugar coated to the chop for their caramelization process which mine did not get fully caramelized and tasted of raw sugar.

I am thinking about hanging out in the ally some day and talking to the cooks or there helpers to see if I can get some sort of inside info. Though most these places keep a pretty tight ship.

• I have successfully done this!  I started with Wimbo1029's post, and I worked through it a couple times and had dinner at Perry's a couple of times, and I am happy to report that I think I have it. In general, the Perry's ads that you watch have a few hints, mostly that it is cured for 5 days, brined for 24 hours, and then smoked over pecan wood for 6-7 hours.

1. Get the full cut at a great meat market.  We are lucky to have Central Market in our town (Southlake, TX). Show them the picture of the chop and tell them you want the ribs, loin, and eye. What I just did was get four sets of 6 ribs each so that I could cure them and then cut later into 3 rib sections.

2. Dry the meat and then coat with Kosher salt.  I put mine on wire mesh and then on a pan. I covered them with plastic wrap, and then turned them every couple days for 5 days. I reserved half the meat for next week to see how they come out after curing for 11 days just out of curiosity.

3. Pull the meat, rinse off the salt, pat dry and sprinkle some rub on all sides. Then wet brine it for 24 hours.  I use a simple brine I came up with.  For each chop, 2 cups water, 1/3 cup kosher salt, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 3 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 tablespoon dried thyme (or fresh), 1-2 teaspoons chili powder.  Heat it until mixed, then cool down by adding ice.  Put meat in a gallon Ziplock bag (2 chops should fit). Fill the bags with brine and get the air out. Let the meat sit in the fridge for 24 hours.

4. Take meat out of fridge, and empty the bags.  Rinse and pat dry.  lightly coat with rub. The rub I use is the same I use for baby back ribs. Let sit for a couple hours to get to room temp.

Now you have to think like the restaurant, and I think there is a little misdirection on their part, or they are just so vague that that is how I took it.  They say they smoke it for 6-7 hours over pecan wood.  They also say they rotisserie it.  You cannot smoke it for 6-7 hours over 200.  My first attempt following other recipes was at 220 degrees and I had the meat at 160 degrees in 2 hours. The meat has to come from wherever they buy their meat ready to go to cook or at the most, ready to brine the day before.  The rotisserie comment is to just keep it warm like a hot dog at a gas station (except better of course) so they can take it out and cook it. So they rotisserie/smoke it so that it stays at the right temp.

5. Set the egg up for a low temp smoke (180 degrees), plate setter legs up.  I lit the egg and then put a big chunk of pecan right in the center of the coals. Rotate the meat every 30 minutes until the temp hits 140 degrees. Mine was right at 5 hours. Drink beer to pass the time.

6. Take the meat off and let set for 10-15 minutes.

7. Lightly brush butter on the outside (you may not need the butter, but I did it) and sprinkle granulated sugar all over it so that it sticks. Use a creme brulee torch to carmelize the sugar.  To make this easier, what I ended up doing was I put a piece of meat on a cooking pan and sprinkled sugar on a side, torched it, then turned to the next side, and so on.

8. I got some high end grits and put a scoop on each plate.  The pork chop sits right in and stays upright this way (and the grits were awesome). I pre-made garlic butter with shallots (the exact same butter recipe from the Green Egg cookbook for the ribeye steaks).  Put a scoop of the garlic herb butter on the top of the chops and then stick a lime slice on top.  I also made some apple sauce for dipping, but served it next to the chops.

These came out absolutely incredibly tender, and the folks I had over said they were even better than Perry's.  This is probably because I wasn't cooking in mass quantity and really trying. It might also be the slight variation in my rub vs theirs, but I am going to keep doing it this way.

Enjoy!

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I absolutely love Perry’s, but I never could imagine myself ordering anything there besides a steak. Maybe one day I’ll give the chop a shot!
  • TomRioux
    TomRioux Posts: 1
    am I correct that you cook the pork until the internal temperature is 140 degrees?  what rub did you use?  I am going to try this in a couple of weeks
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I love it when a 6 year old post has longevity. Pork chops are one of the few (maybe only) BGE cooks that I can't knock out of the park.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    What rub did you use
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • The rub I used for my post on the recipe above is a basic pork rub with some additions:

2 tablespoons sweet paprika

4 tablespoons brown sugar

4 tablespoons white sugar

1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon ginger powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon rosemary powder

1 tablespoon ground mustard

1/2 teaspoon cayenne (40k BTUs)

• We have a Regional Company meeting coming up in Houston, may request this as the place for to for our get together supper.  I am getting real tired of Fogo de Chao.
    I lived in Houston and now live in Dallas. There is absolutely no comparison to the pork chop at Perry's steakhouse. None whatsoever.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I was at their Chicago location a couple of months ago. I got the chop. It was delicious. 
    I have to try recreating it. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset