Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egger in training

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So my kids had early dismissal from school today and I was planning to smoke some baby back ribs. My 13yr old daughter got home before I started and I asked if she wanted to take charge. She said yes, here is the evidence.

Smoked with Rockwood lump and some cherry wood. Rub was Rudy's Rub with some added Sugar in the Raw. I gave her pointers, pulled the membrane and lit the egg, but she did the rest, including watching temps tweaking as needed.

I'm a proud papa. :smiley: 

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    So fun when they get involved. Some of my favorite cooks are when the kids jump in. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great opportunity.  Life is full of "windows of opportunity".  And for the most part the opening doesn't last very long-most eggcellent bonding event.  Enjoy the end results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's cool. A big confidence booster for sure. Looks good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Good times right there. Congrats on a day well spent
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @DMW thats one of the best posts Ive seen... really invaluable to pass those skills on to your kids! 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    she did a great job, nice to see you bonding over cooking.   It's amazing how many memories are made in the kitchen or around the egg.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Both of my kids (young adults out of the house) love to cook. It's a great skill for them to learn. You should be proud. Just when you think they aren't paying attention, they will pleasantly sugprise. Cherish the time.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very cool!! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @DMW   That's great!  Love it.

I've got a 13yo girl myself, and two days ago my mouth dropped open listening to her explain to someone the difference between reverse flow vs. direct flow.  

I guess sometimes they do listen.

Phoenix 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Very cool! 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes yes yes!!!   That is what it's all about!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful... Your daughter,  the ribs,  and the fun of cooking with her. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very cool. Now you need to get her a hip BBQ apron.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:
    @DMW   That's great!  Love it.

I've got a 13yo girl myself, and two days ago my mouth dropped open listening to her explain to someone the difference between reverse flow vs. direct flow. 

I remember when my son was in 7th /8th grade, he was the only one in his class who knew what a collander was. Teach them well.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother D, I'm honored to give that young lady the SGH double seal of approval. You are raising her right my friend. Tell her it looks outstanding and great job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Very cool DMW.  She looks like a natural.  My oldest is 15 and she pretty much just wants to help with the eating part.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2015
    Options
    And that's how it's done. :plus_one: 
    That's wonderful Dwayne!  Her future man (wayyyyy out in the future :wink: ) had better know how to Q 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That's the good stuff in life. Enjoy every minute of it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great for you and us, thanks for the share!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very nice, DMW.  You definitely should be feeling like a proud papa.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    As the parent of a 13, 11, and 7 year old I will tip my cap to you sir. Great job, those rare moments when my teenager opens up are just magical. Thanks for posting. Cheers
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • swordsmn
    Options
    I get the same kick when my daughters show up and help me grill. You're a good dad!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Nice to know the kids can do the cooks if you get held up somewhere.

Was the early dismissal Philly Pope visit related, even way out here in Morgantown?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Smokehouse33
    Options
    Beautiful cook! #supercooldad
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm glad she shows an interest.

@ads75 - No, I don't think it's related. They seem to have an early dismissal about one Friday each month.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@DMW Mr. D looks like you may need to eggspand on your BGE's. I think she may need her own!!

Ribs look great.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    @DMW - Very cool....She even got a nice smoke ring. She looks like a nice young lady....congrats! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    So your daughter is following in your egging footsteps.  Seriously, that's cool. You are skipping the drinking part of the training though ... yes?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Texansurf
    Options
    That is awesome.  Funny how some parents think its the thing you purchase for you children that make them happy.  Really its is the giving of your time that does...

Great looking results.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • DMW
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - yep, the drinking lessons will need to wait at least a few more years. :wink: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA