Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice Weather. How about Pizza!

Options
A31unit
A31unit Posts: 199
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Whats up all. Going for my first shot at pizza tonight. I have done my research here as with everything else I made so far. What could go wrong???? Hahahaha!
After very tedious research and planning comes the moment of truth where all that $@&$ goes out the window anyway.

Heres my setup.

The he top of my stone is about 3.5" above gasket level.
I'm gonna do parchment paper and pull it after a few min bc it's one less thing to worry about.
if you can't see my plate setter is in legs up, grid, bricks, stone.
what would be the best suggestion for my temp?  Gonna beat everything up about an hour before pies go on.
dough should be about normal thickness.
thanks

LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks good!  Be patient and have fun!  Then eat well!  Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks good, you will get many different opions on this as far as temp goes I like to stick to the 550 range. Let all the ceramics, including the stone, heat up for about 45 minutes to an Hour then start cooking.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• calracefan
    Options
    Don't forget to "burp" your egg !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Yep. Looks good!
    Like @Brisket_Fanatic said. Bring that pretty white stone up to temp with the platesetter. It needs to be hot also. 550 to 600 will be fine. You can shine a flashlight thru the dome stack to check toppings. But be careful doing that!
    And like @calracefan said "burp".
    Have fun. Pizza is a fun cook.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    I do the same setup with exception of the bricks.  I get the dome temp to about 500-550 and let the stone heat up for at least 30mins.  

Careful to not topple the stone!
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Setup looks good.  I usually spread the firebricks out a bit to try to get a more stable pizza stone.

Cooking temp will depend on the dough you are using and crust thickness and topping load. You say "normal thickness" for your dough. I would guess that 500-550º would be a good starting point for you.  If you have enough dough, you might think about making a couple of smaller pizzas rather than one larger one.  That will give you some ability to make adjustments in case the first one doesn't work out just right.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Not a fan of the bricks on there. Do you have a plate setter? Go legs down, spacers and then stone. I'd be afraid the stone would fall. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • A31unit
    Options
    Setup looks good.  I usually spread the firebricks out a bit to try to get a more stable pizza stone.

Cooking temp will depend on the dough you are using and crust thickness and topping load. You say "normal thickness" for your dough. I would guess that 500-550º would be a good starting point for you.  If you have enough dough, you might think about making a couple of smaller pizzas rather than one larger one.  That will give you some ability to make adjustments in case the first one doesn't work out just right.

Seems pretty stable with the bricks spread apart.  Guess we will see.

@tarheelmatt. I notice that a bunch of people do it that way but tend to fry gaskets
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    A31unit said:

Seems pretty stable with the bricks spread apart.  Guess we will see.

@tarheelmatt. I notice that a bunch of people do it that way but tend to fry gaskets
    You can fry a gasket the same way with your setup. Don't think it a pizza setup is usually the reason. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok. So here's how it went. We were a full fledged pizzaria tonight.  I used the setup that I initially posted.  The pies turned out really good but crust was just a bit undercooked chewy in the center.
    Again,  I had plate setter IN legs up, then grid, then firebricks, then large BGE pizza stone.  Everything was heated in the neighborhood of 550 for an hour before the first pie went on.  I looked into the top to judge the doneness.  Once the toppings would start to brown I figured I was good and removed the pie.  Most of them were on for
    8-10 min and the parchment paper was removed at 3 min each pie.  None of the pies we're golden brown underneath and barely had a crispy crust.  Again, the crust was not cooked enough but the topping were good.  So, there are a few ways I could improve for the next time.  Please let me know where improvement could be made.
    -I can increase the temp north of 550, leave the plate setter in, and maybe let the toppings char a bit.
    -I can remove the plate setter and stay elevated into the dome direct to the bottom of the pizza stone. This may give me the more browned crispy crust and dough may be done all the way through.
    - I can crack another beer while typing this.
    - Both B&C
    Bottom line.  I love my Egg and my family had a great time with this!

We had:
    pepperoni
    margarita
    carmalized onion & ricotta
    carmalized onion & pulled pork
    Mozzarella, prosciutto, and arugula 
    peccorino cheese red

• A31unit
    Options
    Has anybody ever tried to eliminate the plate setter and go elevated direct when baking pizza?
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    It might work ok. It would be harder to control the heating of the pizza stone.  In theory, you could go direct without a stone, if you could find the exact balance point and have precise temp control of the lump. The indirect setup with a pizza stone is just easier to get good reproducible results.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• A31unit
    Options
    Then  what is my best bet given my initial setup to get a browner, crisper crust without frying the toppings?
  • jtcBoynton
    edited September 2015
    Options
    First thing I would try with your setup is to turn the bricks, lowering the pizza stone. This will allow the crust to cook a little longer before the toppings are done.

on taking another look at the bricks you are using, they seem pretty wide compared to the thickness. Turned on their side you may need a double stack. I would aim to get the pizza stone about 2-3" above the felt line. The picture looks like your current setup puts the stone higher than that. 

Whatever you do, don't change too many things at once or you may never figure out the right balance.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE