Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I learned a valuable lesson by accident last night while getting prepped to do a WOK session.

Options
It's no secret that you need a lot of BTU to get a wok to talk.  Yesterday I had the jones for some wok hei so I did all the mis en place and had everything prepped when I went out to light the BGE.  Darn, I hardly had any charcoal at all, maybe enough to fill the lower section half way up, if that.  So, I lit the charcoal and went down and choped four pieces of well seasoned oak to beer can size.  I went and placed those on top of the coals and waited for things to heat up.  Once the coals were red and the wood was buring, it was show time.  I had no lack of BTU's at all.  I was essentially cooking on top of the flames.  I will do this technique from now on.  I know it uses so much charcoal that it can be less attractive to fire up the egg for the wok but doint this, I hardly used any charcoal at all.  I figured I'd share my findings with you guys.  Nothing ground breaking or new for some of you but for me, it was an "a ha" moment.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Comments