Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Research: What is Your Biggest Challenge?

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    So many crude things I could say about that. Must. Resist. Typing.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @theyolksonyou Friday night is almost here, keep it together just a little while longer!  In the meantime quit joking and do some research for the guy ok???
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sleeping through the night. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    jabam said:
    Finding different lump here (central California) my local choices are RO, Frontier and Best of the West. 

Where in the Central Valley, I'm in Visalia
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Biggest challenge here is wanting to cook on the BGE every day but not having the time and running out of Bud Lite (not my fav but it gets the job done).
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    The only thing I have any issue with is the Stoker. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I think you and Stoker could benefit from a relationship time-out. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • toddmiddlebrooks
    Options
    @Jstroke I'm not trying to break into the grill market per se.  I'm doing research to determine if an online course dedicated to BGE users (new and/or experienced) would be a good idea.  My initial thoughts were to design specific courses or modules that would guide new users through more difficult cooks or methods or cooking on the Egg. That's why I wanted to come to the experts though, so I brought the question to this forum.

Thanks @blind99 =)
    Carrollton, Georgia

I'm building a BGE course! Learn more at www.backyardbbqhero.com
    I occasionally post my cooks on Instagram
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I think you and Stoker could benefit from a relationship time-out. 
    We've been on a trial separation for a while my friend. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    jabam said:
    Finding different lump here (central California) my local choices are RO, Frontier and Best of the West. 

Where in the Central Valley, I'm in Visalia

Born and raised in Laton, live in Hanford now.
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    @Jstroke I'm not trying to break into the grill market per se.  I'm doing research to determine if an online course dedicated to BGE users (new and/or experienced) would be a good idea.  My initial thoughts were to design specific courses or modules that would guide new users through more difficult cooks or methods or cooking on the Egg. That's why I wanted to come to the experts though, so I brought the question to this forum.

Thanks @blind99 =)

Interesting idea, and not trying to knock it, but I think that is what the forum is for, there is so much experience on here it is amazing, you can always get the help you need day or night. I think it would be tough to make a "course" or "module" general enough, or specific enough for the many questions that may be asked. Plus, Youtube I am sure has enough vidoes on how to Q, however I come here.

Regardless, welcome to the Forum, if you are here to stay or not.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There is a definite need for an online "one safe source" for new eggers for the following:

1)  Setting up and cleaning the egg
    2)  Loading the egg for various cook times and temperatures
    3)  Use of smoke wood ... chunks, chips
    4)  Starting the egg
    5)  Reaching temp clearing the smoke, and holding temps
    6)  What are the differences, and uses of, cooking indirect and direct
              at fire ring, at felt line, raised into the dome, etc
    7)  Some simple starter cooks that demonstrate the various choices in #6
    8)  Use of brines, rubs, BBQ sauce

Keep it basic, but complete in detail.

As to experienced eggers ... they're too set in their ways to really listen ... check a few threads in this forum and you'll notice that we even disagree on which lump to use.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    There is a definite need for an online "one safe source" for new eggers for the following:

4)  Starting the egg

As to experienced eggers ... they're too set in their ways to really listen ... check a few threads in this forum and you'll notice that we even disagree on which lump to use.

This is why I like the forum though, again, not trying to knock anything, but a one stop shop would be great...however, there are so many different ideas on here, as well from people set in their ways, that you can pick through and try what appeals to you, and perhaps try different ideas when able. 

A "one safe source" would be the opinion of one person. Or perhaps one person for each subject mentioned, picked by one person who made that his preference, and way of doing it. 

Again, this is why I like the forum, but that is just my opinion. 

I personally just don't think it is needed is all, but each to his own of course. Good luck with it Todd. Really isn't my place to comment whether I think its needed or not in the first place. I apologize for that. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 ^^^^^^.  One more opinion.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger ... I agree with your argument for those who have gotten past the initial problems with cooking on the egg.  For the beginner, I would add the following example of why it might have a positive impact on a beginner.

One of my first cooks was to be a chicken ... was faced with deciding to cook whole, parted, spatchcocked, or splayed ... simply ignored the boneless and lollypop stuff.  Brinded or not brinded.  Hmmm ... then had to decide to cook direct, raised direct, or indirect ... with a couple of cooks advocating raised indirect.  When I settled on spatchcocked there was the don't flip, flip once and flip several times approach.  Temp?  That was the best decision yet ... everything from about 250 to 400 degrees was championed.  Luckily I skipped over the lump, smoke wood, and rub divisions and used what my dealer sent home with me.

I would tell you about trying to control temps, but I'm still embarrassed ... just let me say that I actually cooked that chicken from 250 to 400 degrees and all stops in between.

Too many times I've seen a new egger ask a question on how to do something simple.  There will be a half dozen posters answering the question in a logical manner while explaining why they are suggesting doing it this way and building on each other's suggestions.  Then, someone will say exactly the opposite as if the first posters are old men, idiots, or drunks.  As a whole, we don't do well at clearing up confusion with the new egger ... in the end, they're left wondering which way is acceptable.

Thus, I think there is a place for a "one safe source" for new eggers.  Yes, it will present one person's best practices, but I'd argue that's beneficial for beginners.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeepster47 said:  other posters are old men, idiots, or drunks.

i thought that was the demographics here  
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I see where you were coming from now @Jeepster47

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Thanks @blind99 =)
    I took a 101 for the egg from my dealer.  They showed how to light it and did different cooks on it at different temps.  They used 2 larges so they could have different temps going.  I agree this forum teaches me a lot. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    How many days to Salado?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Griffin said:
    My biggest challenge right now comes down more to life than anything else right now. Getting the Egg lit, stabilized, food prepped, Baby bathed, fed and put to bed and then food cooked and done at a decent time and with luck have some energy left over to get the dishes done and cleaned up. Hence, that I don't post cooks as much and the blog has gone on the side burner. I know its just a stage and I'm loving every minute of it.
    Ditto
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    the voc's man, the voc's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Underbite after high temp egging session. Gaskets. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Winning Eggtoberfest 
  • toddmiddlebrooks
    Options

4)  Starting the egg

Thanks for your input! Great info here - aligns pretty close to a rough outline I've prepared.
    Carrollton, Georgia

I'm building a BGE course! Learn more at www.backyardbbqhero.com
    I occasionally post my cooks on Instagram
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Lit said:
    Winning Eggtoberfest 
    I see what you did there  ;)
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Time.