Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Research: What is Your Biggest Challenge?

I've been an Egghead for some time now.  Over time I cooked a wide variety of foods on my Egg.

I'm doing some research and have a quick question. If you awesome Eggheads could take a few minutes and let me know what is the single biggest challenge that you're struggling with as it relates to your Big Green Egg, it would mean the world to me. A quick reply right here in the forum would be a huge help.

Thanks!
Todd
Carrollton, Georgia

I'm building a BGE course! Learn more at www.backyardbbqhero.com
I occasionally post my cooks on Instagram

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The only one I have right now is finding the time to cook every night on it.  Other then that, I don't have that I can thing off.  Food comes off taste great and I just try to keep improving on it.  I am sure others will post.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Finding different lump here (central California) my local choices are RO, Frontier and Best of the West. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    First up-welcome to the forum.  If you have spent any time lurking around here you should get ready for responses that cover everything from sincere to quite a ways off-the charts.  You will likely need a good data filter to arrive at anything of true value.  And whatever you do, don't disparage the buffalo ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks @lousubcap I'll keep that mind. :)
    Carrollton, Georgia

I'm building a BGE course! Learn more at www.backyardbbqhero.com
    I occasionally post my cooks on Instagram
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Trying to master every meal on the egg.  it is very addicting but I am my worse critic.  I am sure most of the meals I make on the Egg are very good - I find some good and some I dont find good.  However guests have liked meals that I find no good. so this confirms I am my worse critic.

That and finding time to use it.

Garnerville, NY
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    My biggest challenge is finding prime beef at store brand prices. In other words....champagne taste and Old Milwaukee budget.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I have adapted to the various challenges/issues with using the BGE.  The consistent biggest challenge really is not BGE connected but has all to do with trying to time the completion of various low&slow cooks.  The large variations make for quite a challenge when serving with other "quick to prepare" dishes.  (FTC can get quite a workout.)

Adult supervisory beverage moderation can be a challenge unto itself with any cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • First off.....this thread is highly suspect.  But I'll bite.

Trying to find cooking time between two working adults, 3 kids, softball, coaching softball, 2 baseball teams, tennis, basketball, band, UGA football, church.......and sleep.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Whats the end use for the research?

Mine would be it makes me drink more than I already do, and trying to take pics with out company noticing...
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a tough time juggling cooking on my egg and my constant attendance at church too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am challenged by the purchase of my second egg. I like the mini for its portability (weight). but also like the Mini Max for the additional real estate. Don't think either is a bad option....just challenged to make up my mind with what fits best with my lifestyle and events.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Don't have any other pics of yourself or your "egg" for your profile? https://www.linkedin.com/in/middlebrooks

https://youtu.be/jkm1i2o6Ri8

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 1 word. Brisket
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I have to admit. I'm curious. Why are you interested in my egging frustrations. It sounds like either you are trying to justify your own frustrations or doing market research. If you are frustrated we can help or apply alchahol in order to provide a solution. If you are looking to break into the market, good luck to you. Competition is good. Personally my frustrations and I am sure with many others here is simply having the time and energy to explore more ways to use my egg., it's hard to complain with something that does its job well every time. I feed it lump and it feeds me. It never complains and failure is always my fault in hindsite. So really the frustrations come back to my own inabilities. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    My biggest issue so far has been loose bands after my high temp pizza cooks. Getting frustrated with those right now. I can't seem to tighten the nuts on my band bolts tight enough. Then the dome gets out of alignment causing a 1/4" underbite. I plan to replace the bolts as I think part of the problem is the threads are damaged from the band brackets which in turn, won't allow the nuts to be cinched down to where they need to be. I may also try to double nut them as well.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    My biggest issue is sarcasm.  Sometimes people don't know when I am being serious or sarcastic.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Griffin said:
    My biggest challenge right now comes down more to life than anything else right now. Getting the Egg lit, stabilized, food prepped, Baby bathed, fed and put to bed and then food cooked and done at a decent time and with luck have some energy left over to get the dishes done and cleaned up. Hence, that I don't post cooks as much and the blog has gone on the side burner. I know its just a stage and I'm loving every minute of it.
    This is true @Griffin .  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site

• My biggest issue is sarcasm.  Sometimes people don't know when I am being serious or sarcastic.
    Like when hurtful gifs are posted?  :rofl: 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    I have a tough time juggling cooking on my egg and my constant attendance at church too.
    i thought it was avoiding all the lightning bolts ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    My biggest issue is sarcasm.  Sometimes people don't know when I am being serious or sarcastic.
    You're serious?  When?  Isn't this your bumper sticker?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    My biggest problem/issue is trying to match the guys here on getting up to temp in some of the record times stated.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I forgot, I also struggle with getting the matchlight charcoal to burn clean.  I keep getting an off taste.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Guys, come on, do some market research for the guy so he can launch his course!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • My biggest issue is sarcasm.  Sometimes people don't know when I am being serious or sarcastic.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    the 62 pound pig cook was the biggest challenge ive seen done here. thats in a large =)

eggtoberfest08004jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it