Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman steaks

i would like to perfect the caveman style steak. Like the steaks normally medium but medium rare won't hurt. I know the coals need to be red hot. But what temp should the dome temp be? The first time I did these it was to hot about 700 degrees. Should I get the coals hot and drop the temp to like 500 degrees? Anyone who tried this and had success feel free to give me some tips. Thanks egg heads! 

Comments

• Every time I do it the dome is open so no idea on temp.  Just red hot!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Dome/Grill temp is not important.
    You want to have at least a full fire box of lump.
    You want to have all the lump fully burning in the area you are going to drop your steak. If half your steak is resting on black, unlit lump, it will not cook/char in that spot.
    I also normally fan the lump just before I drop the steak to blow off the ash.
    The thicker the steak the longer you want to let it rest on the counter before you cook if you want more of a medium steak.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I usually start when the dome hits 500°, but after that the dome temp is useless because the lid is open and closed frequently. One trick is to make sure the steak is set on the coals so it has a minimal amount of oxygen beneath it. Reduce oxygen prevents flare ups. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Did on last night. Totally open while cooking.You enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I've tried caveman steaks twice and while I enjoyed the cook, I much prefer a reverse sear, T-Rex style or seared in a CI skillet.  Good luck and post if you perfect the cook.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • This was my first attempt I loved the flavor it gave the steak. I think I might have had the coals a little too hot because the outside was burning before the inside was even cooked. I also think I messed up because I had little charcoal in it instead of a full load. (If you understand what I'm saying). I appreciate the tips guys and look forward to trying this again. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I usually cook sous-vide before searing caveman style so my advice may not he the best for an end to end caveman style cook. 

Temperature is irrelevant as long as you have enough glowing coals to fully support the3 meat.  I usually close the lid to minimize flare ups.