Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to make my 1st Pizza soon - lots of questions coming

Options
I have an XL BGE with Plate setter & standard grate. 

Pizza Peels - wood or aluminum? Which one and why? Do I really need a long handle for a 16" pie?

Stones - I got one as a wedding gift years ago. 14" and probably cheap. Since I have an XL BGE, I can only imagine making no smaller than a 16" pizza - So I need a 17" stone, right? Any recommendations on this? I know that CGS sells s 17.5" - Is THAT what I need?

now I'm reading I need to rais the stone ABOVE the felt gasket or it will fry it. Is that so?  So this means I need to raise the stone above this height?  By how much?  How do you recommend I achieve this?  I don't want to get a CGS AR, but I don't want to totally jerry rig some contraption either. 

Help please!!! More questions will surely follow. 
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Wood. Yes. 3 inches above felt line to cook/melt the toppings. 10, 12, 8.78 inch oblong/squarish pie shape is required for this forum. Others need not apply.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like the aluminum peel. You want a ceramic stone of whatever size you require.  And you want to elevate the stone to benefit from the radiant dome heat. Search pizza in the search function cuz there are many variables most of which relate to the flour you use and temperature of the egg. And corn meal vs parchment paper. I endorse the parchment paper approach.  Happy cooking!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I use a metal peel, a XL BGE stone, raised off the XL (legs down) platesetter using 3/4 inch copper tees.  Key for me is using parchment to transfer the pie to the stone.  I pull the parchment after 3 or 4 minutes of cooking.  Be sure to allow the stone to get to temp.  I bought a infrared surface thermometer and that helps know when I'm ready. Good luck! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • kirkiver
    Options
    Metal Peels are great, wood is cheaper and works fine, i have 2 from amazon $15 each... 2 works great for pizza partys, 3 or more are better... flour or corn meal ( i've used polenta in a pinch ) will release the pizza on to the stone. heat is reflected by the dome, so higher is better, but if stone is too large, it won't allow egg to get hot enough for pizza ( 750 degrees ). for a xl a 13 inch stone is perfect for a 12 inch pizza, 6 ounces of dough plus toppings is perfect for personal pizza. in a pinch, i've done pizza on the place setter, legs down, it works...  
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited September 2015
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186974/which-raised-rig-is-the-best-way-to-go/p1

Good of inexpensive solns in that thread as well.  Also that AR thing will come up again. Lol.  You're pretty serious about this stuff so never say never about the CGS stuff.  No need to leap too soon though.  There appear to be many inexpensive solns to get you up higher as well.  

Btw, What did u decide on with regard to your temp control for the low/slows. Just curious. Answer in a message if u prefer so I don't derail your thread.  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have an XL BGE with Plate setter & standard grate. 

Pizza Peels - wood or aluminum? Which one and why? Do I really need a long handle for a 16" pie?

Stones - I got one as a wedding gift years ago. 14" and probably cheap. Since I have an XL BGE, I can only imagine making no smaller than a 16" pizza - So I need a 17" stone, right? Any recommendations on this? I know that CGS sells s 17.5" - Is THAT what I need?

now I'm reading I need to rais the stone ABOVE the felt gasket or it will fry it. Is that so?  So this means I need to raise the stone above this height?  By how much?  How do you recommend I achieve this?  I don't want to get a CGS AR, but I don't want to totally jerry rig some contraption either. 

Help please!!! More questions will surely follow. 
    Peels - wood or metal both work. Wood has advantages in launching and metal has advantages in retrieving. Because of the openness of the egg when retrieving the pizza, the advantage of the metal peel is mostly negated. Long handles are for use in deep ovens. No need for use on an egg or home oven.

Stones - you want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite.  The stone will need to be above the felt line. Make sure that there is still an air gap between the stone and the dome. Landing a 16" pizza on a 17" inch stone is tight. Hitting the exact spot takes some practice. I imagine that you will actually make quite a few pizzas smaller than 16".  Small pizzas cook fine on large stones, so get as large as will fit.

Cooking height - The key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Tier1Terrier
    Options

Thanks for all the answers so far.  I have another question.  I know I need to get the coals raging hot to heat up the XL egg up to 600-700 degrees.  At what point would you insert the plate setter and stone into the egg?  I obviously cant do it immediately as I need as much airflow as possible to stoke the coals.  I also don't want to put a cold stone or platesetter into a raging hot egg (so they don't crack).  What's the right time to put them in?

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I put them in after a few minutes. The egg will warm up fine. Remember the pizza stone needs to be in the egg soaking up heat for quite a while.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have both a wooden and a metal peel.   If you only want to get one, start with a wooden.   Better to prep the pizza on as the dough is less likely to stick to it (condensation of cool dough on metal).   However, I sometimes get break-throughs on my crust...went that happens the pizza may be glued to your stone in one or more places by cheese that leaks through and burns.   A metal peel is like a giant spatula and makes quick work of getting your delicate pie off that 600+ degree stone.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Don't go overboard on amount of toppings. The more toppings, the longer it will take to get done. Longer time=lower temp
    Keep them simple at first to get a feel for cooking them. Take your TIME. If you start rushing around things will go to sh*t quickly. Have everything prepped before hand. Best bet is to have a couple pies stretched on parchment paper to start.
    I use this recipe.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Standard weber grate 18.00 walmart
    4 u bolts stainless 2 nuts 2 washers each leg

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1) The stone:  I would just get a 16 " stone or cook on the one you have.  A 16 " pizza is honestly the biggest I want to deal with getting on and off. 

2) Raising the stone- anything that is oven safe will work here.  You probably have something in your cabinet.  If you have a dutch oven that is not too tall just set that on the grate and set the stone on top.  The nice thing about raising a stone is you don't need a "grid"- just anything that can support it.  

3) Heat the plate setter and the stone with the egg.  Light the egg, once fire is going add the setter and stone.  Note: You will want to let the egg burn for a long time to avoid smoky pizza.  At least 30 minutes.  Wait until the egg is burning totally clean. 

4) Temp- depending on the dough you use- you may not need or want to go that hot.  I usually just buy Publix dough and cook at 500.

5) Peel-skip the peel and use parchment paper to start.  Worry about that later. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bettysnephew
    Options
    If the stone you have is not at least 1/2" or more thick it will likely be in pieces after the first or second cook. My wife's Pampered Chef bit the big one on the second try. The BGE one has held up well as I am sure CGS will also. If the AR is not a viable choice, I would consider several fire bricks laid flat (not on edge) to elevate the stone. These will also add thermal mass if you are cooking more than 1 pizza. I recall someone putting enough fire bricks down to fully cover the bottom of the stone. Plan on preheating the stone and bricks for an hour before your cook to allow for proper temperature stabilization it will reward you with a nicely baked pie.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • KiterTodd
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Reading this thread is a good reminder that everyone has their own hard fast rules for making pizza, which vary greatly from others.  This is true about a lot of cooks, but I see it particularly with pizza. Probably because it is such an achievable cook with quick results and thus most egg owners try it.

So my feedback is just make some pizza with what you have.  Soak in all this great guidance, but don't read anything here as a hard rule for you.  You'll figure out if you really need a thicker stone, bigger stone and what kind of peel if any. You'll fine tune the temperature that works for your dough, just keep your eye on your pizza by peeking in the top vent with a flashlight.

And like any cook you do on the egg, it will be a little different each time. One day you'll think you have nailed it, so you'll make it for the masses and it'll dive bomb on you.  That's just how it goes.  But it's fun!!!   :smile: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • boboegg
    Options
    A cheap stone will break in a hundred pieces.  I started with a Pampered Chef stone, and it lasted 1 cook. I use the BGE branded stone, and it has worked fine ever since.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    +1 on the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone bit the dust.  Went back and bought the BGE heavier duty one and been happy ever since.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Temper expectations for the first pizza. I think most would agree if takes a few attempts to get it where you like them - well cooked and good presentation - and they're predictable (to show off) - frozen out of the grocer's freezer not included assuming you don't burn them, 

I go raised indirect with a BGE stone at 450-500 for 8-10 minutes. I buy dough from a local mom and pop, sauce, cheese and pepperoni from a small Italian market.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Tier1Terrier
    Options

Speaking of 'sauce', I don't recall seeing 'pizza sauce' on my grocer's shelf (Publix) but I never looked for it either.  Is there such thing as 'pizza sauce' or do I just with regular canned tomato sauce? (I don't plan on making my own until I've mastered the cooking process).

Also, what other tips or suggestions about toppings for a first timer?

Cheese - I assume a bag of shredded mozzarella will do?

veggies - go with fresh produce for things like mushrooms, peppers and onions, right?

Meats like ground sausage or beef - do I brown (cook) them before putting on the pizza? Or do I just put them on raw?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    the bag of cheese usually has cornstarch added to prevent sticking, it also prevents melting, you can buy deli mozz and shredd your own. usually brown raw meat unless its smaller pieces. italian deli pepperoni with the white mold gives a nice cup that browns on the edges unlike presliced. i find the pizza sauce near the paste and canned tomatoes, not near the spagetti sauce section, just chopped up whole or stewed tomatoes work well as a sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I use the fire roasted diced tomatoes. I use fresh mozzarella that is torn in pcs and spread on the pizza. The fresh mozz melts and spreads out nicely. 
    Also make sure you BURP your egg before opening! Save your eyebrows.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options

NEW QUESTION!

I'll be making my first pizza with pre-made dough from Publix.  What do I need to be prepared to do?  How much prep time is needed prior to loading with toppings and throwing into egg?

Also... When I'm rolling out the dough into the shape of a pie, do I use flour or cornmeal on my prep surface?  I always thought it would be flour but it seems I keep hearing/reading to use cornmeal.  Same on pizza stone, right?

Any other tips on prepping the pizza, egg, or stone before putting it in the egg?

• A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.  Wanna make pizza for the first time.  Trying to figure out the best setup.
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • KiterTodd
    edited September 2015
    Options

NEW QUESTION!

I'll be making my first pizza with pre-made dough from Publix.  What do I need to be prepared to do?  How much prep time is needed prior to loading with toppings and throwing into egg?

Also... When I'm rolling out the dough into the shape of a pie, do I use flour or cornmeal on my prep surface?  I always thought it would be flour but it seems I keep hearing/reading to use cornmeal.  Same on pizza stone, right?

Any other tips on prepping the pizza, egg, or stone before putting it in the egg?

YAMV (Your Answers May Vary) but here is what I do...

Light your egg and do what is needed to get it stabilized to temp fully loaded with plate setter, pizza stone, whatever.   While that is happening you can do everything else.  I'm sure some people start this process days earlier.  You don't have to.

I use store bought dough also (the higher end of the two choices Harris Teeter carries, it's one made with 00 flour).  I treat my prep surface with flour and will occasional add flour to the outside of the dough if it is sticky.  All purpose flour.  Let the dough rest between working with it.   It rests a bit, and it will then become easier to stretch.

You don't put flour or cornmeal on your stone. It'll turn black immediately at these temps and does you no good.  What you see is that many people, me included, put corn meal on their wooden pizza peel where the pizza will be prepped.  (some use parchment, others use a fancy conveyor belt peel, etc.)

The corn meal acts like little ball bearings that make it easier to slide your pizza off the peel and onto the stone with a little shake.  It works well as long as you don't have this prepped pizza sitting on the peel for too long. If you leave it setup too long, some condensation will form between the pizza and the peel and it'll stick.  That's because you just added a lot of cold ingredients to your dough.  The more things at room temp the better, but don't stress about it. 

It's not hard, just don't have multiple pizzas queued up and waiting.  I make a pie right before I put it on the egg or while the prior pizza is cooking.  (Parchment guys do it different.) Important thing is to not ignore the cooking pizza as it'll cook much faster than you think.

Have all your toppings sliced ahead of time.  As others have said, thin sliced items are better.  If I use raw meat (I like shrimp) I slice it thin so that there are no worries about it cooking.  A halved shrimp for instance (so it's half the thickness) will cook just fine.   A full mushroom will not cook, you have to slice those.

Don't use too much sauce.  That is a common mistake.  One ladel full of sauce is enough to spread around to an entire large pizza. Personal size pizzas use much less.  You're not painting the sauce on...every piece of dough need not be covered with sauce.  That'll make for a sloppy wet heavy pizza.  You can do that if you make a pan pizza, though.  That's another topic...

Half of you reading this disagree with everything I said. :grimacing:   I'm okay with that. :rock_on:  Because I really like my egg'd pizzas!  :plus_one:

hand tossed deliciousness

all good on these crispy bubbles!  pizza was great.  bubbles relax as soon as you take it off the grill but make for nice pizza parlor texture.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    get a youtube vid on tossing the dough, rolling drives the bubbles out.  the only real prep is letting the dough come up to room temp, if its cold it  will not stretch or roll well. when tossing the dough sing in fake italian, it seems to help =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    Options

NEW QUESTION!

First, do not roll out the dough. Stretch it out. Rolling it will drive out the air bubbles that are in the dough. Its the expansion of the air bubbles during cooking that give the dough its lift.  Make sure you bring the dough up to room temp before trying to stretch it (about 2 hours). 

When stretching the dough, use a floured surface.  The corn meal / semolina / flour / parchment use is for providing a slick surface between the raw dough and the peel. Raw dough directly on a peel will not slide off onto the cooking surface.  Do not put any of these on the pizza stone.  Once the pizza dough cooks a bit, it will set and release from the pizza stone (it will however stick when first put on the stone - so make sure your placement is accurate, because you cannot move it until it sets).   Corn meal is used a lot - it works well for allowing the dough to slide and is a common pantry item.  Semolina works just as well and matches the flavor profile of the pizza dough better than corn meal, but it is not a common pantry item so many people are not familiar with it.  Parchment is great if you are prepping multiple pizzas (allows you to move them around on the kitchen counter as you want). It slides off the peel nicely. You do need to remove it part way through the cook.  Flour is the best in matching the taste and texture of the dough. You do need to work quickly because it will adsorb moisture from the dough and stick to the peel.

Another tip on prepping the egg is to make sure the ceramics have been thoroughly heated before cooking (at least 45 minutes). 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Great info here, thank you guys!!!

one last question I posted in the other thread... Fine or coarse cornmeal? Or does it not matter? 
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Update: I purchased a wood peel. I used  semolina flour on the peel only, and when I transferred the dough into the egg, it slid perfectly into the stone (beginners luck). Cooked at 600. Checked on the pizza at 5 minutes and it looked near ready. I used the peel to rotate the pizza 180 degrees and it slid around perfectly. Checked again a few minutes later and it was done. Perfectly. Thanks everyone for all the help!!! 
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    That looks good!
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Looks excellent! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    We like our pizza's "thin crust" so I do roll out the dough with a rolling pin. My XL has a 21" stone, so it's a pretty big pizza when you get it on the BGE.