Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini vs Mini max

Options
Here I am a new egger and already looking at getting a second one for tailgating/camping. Went to the store where I got my XL to look and compare the two. Mini is 429 and the max is 529. Anyone have experience with both? Thanks
XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land

Comments

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    Sorry, guys, just saw a July post that was the same as mine. Please ignore this. That's what I get for not using the search button. Carry on

North Carolina land
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    From what I have seen posted, 529 for the MM is a good price.
    What it comes down to, MM has a larger cooking area and is heavier. Mini is smaller and lighter. More up your strength and travel space.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have a mini that i bought new on CL for half the price of a new one. It is a lump miser .. thou the grate is only 10", I can cook 2 New York Strip steaks ... a 2.5 lb tri-tip ... a 5lb pork shoulder .. a full rack of ribs ... etc ... I absolutely love my Mini.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I debated between the two as well. I have a large and small, and just purchased a mini. My 2 cents is the mini is more poratable. We go rving and tailgating quite a bit, the small and the mini with come along for sure. The mini max and small are close to the same weight. Mini max has the handles which is nice. just wasn't sure about the lump capacity for the size of egg. The mini doesn't have a very big firebox, but I am really starting to like the little egg. Have done a few cooks on it and it comes up to temp quickly. The mini gets my vote. But there is no wrong egg. They are all amazing. Good luck with your decision.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I love my MM, had it at 375-400* for 6 hours straight yesterday and it still had a bit of lump left when I shut it down.  Gets hot fast, MM loves the 300-350* sweet spot.  I will say its a little tough to keep it low, under 250*, but I do most of those low n slows with my Large or XL.  As far as weight goes, I can carry mine from spot to spot, but at 80 lbs I am surely not going too far with it in my arms.  Overall I really enjoy mine, it gets a ton of use.  Have fun making your decision, I think either Egg will be a great addition.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    The future of the mini (and parts) should also be considered.
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Congrats, because either way, you're getting a great little cooker!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I have a mini that i bought new on CL for half the price of a new one. It is a lump miser .. thou the grate is only 10", I can cook 2 New York Strip steaks ... a 2.5 lb tri-tip ... a 5lb pork shoulder .. a full rack of ribs ... etc ... I absolutely love my Mini.
    What did you pay?
  • AaronH
    Options
    Thanks for the input all. I found a mini on Cl (yes i know the warranty is void). brand new in box from a couple that got it as a prize for $215. Couldn't pass it up for that price as the replacement parts are cheap anyway. 

North Carolina land
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Congrats on the mini!   Get ready to be amazed

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2015
    Options
    AaronH said:
    Thanks for the input all. I found a mini on Cl (yes i know the warranty is void). brand new in box from a couple that got it as a prize for $215. Couldn't pass it up for that price as the replacement parts are cheap anyway. 
    I would have jumped on that deal as well. Congradulations and welcome to the mini club.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DutchMiniMax
    Options
    I do low very easy with MM just use a single firestarter in the center, top hole half open and bottom about 5mm i keep it easily 5hrs for BB ribs at 110 celcius.
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    feef706 said:
    SoCalTim said:
    What did you pay?
    I paid $200 for a new mini n CL . Deals are there if your patient and got cash.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    feef706 said:
    SoCalTim said:
    What did you pay?
    I paid $200 for a new mini on CL . Deals are there if your patient and got cash.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got my mini from a store that was closing for $300. Even on the mini parts aren't cheap. All it takes is 1 cracked firebox and $200 isn't a deal anymore. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Lit said:
    I got my mini from a store that was closing for $300. Even on the mini parts aren't cheap. All it takes is 1 cracked firebox and $200 isn't a deal anymore. 
    This is the dilemma, I envision lots of seared steaks in a minis future, there is one new on CL by me but listed as $350 obo, guess I need to Check the local dealer in their prices...
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Recently heard the mini was being discontinued.  May be harder to get support later down the road
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • AaronH
    Options
    I have to pay for it Friday. So...no warranty, no go? I find it hard to envision a firebox that hot in a mini.....although it can happen.  Also, I have a hard time thinking that BGE company wouldn't keep servicing them regardless if discontinued or not. 

North Carolina land
  • firebike
    Options
    • I have both. The Mini was my camp egg. I liked it for its small size and ease of moving, but with the four of us it was to small. Recently got MMax to replace it and it is alot better. I can cook reasonably for four if I am a miser with the space. The advice I heard in the past... Buy bigger than you think, you'll need it. My vote is the Max unless there is only two or less of you.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    AaronH said:
    I have to pay for it Friday. So...no warranty, no go? I find it hard to envision a firebox that hot in a mini.....although it can happen.  Also, I have a hard time thinking that BGE company wouldn't keep servicing them regardless if discontinued or not. 
    I have a cracked base for a mini in my garage. All the eggs can crack. I doubt the mini is getting discontinued if anything it would be the small egg.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I personally like all of the eggs. Hope that none of them go the way of the

Especially the mighty mini. It is my favorite.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• AaronH
    Options
    So, I picked up the Mini today from the person that won it. It was still in the box. The assembly kit came with grill grippers, 10lb bag of charcoal, firestarters, and ash tool.  Not bad for $215. . . . . . EXCEPT!, when I was putting it together, I noticed there was no thermometer.....oops on BGE's part. I contacted the lady and she is emailing them......mistakes can happen.  

North Carolina land
  • AaronH
    Options

North Carolina land