Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Kamado for sale up here?

Options
Think it would take Kamado Joe accessories, or BGE? Might be able to be cleaned up pretty good. I msged to see if it is still available. 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1104611050

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I bet it's clay. Old Japan grills were made out of clay. You would have to be careful with high heat cooks.  Anything above 350. I'd offer $25 or less for it as other have picked them up under $10 at yard sales
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I bet it's clay. Old Japan grills were made out of clay. You would have to be careful with high heat cooks.  Anything above 350. I'd offer $25 or less for it as other have picked them up under $10 at yard sales
    Thanks WeberWho, wasn't even thinking about the temps if this is clay, I am sure it is. I will see what he says anyways. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited September 2015
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Thanks WeberWho, wasn't even thinking about the temps if this is clay, I am sure it is. I will see what he says anyways. 
    No problem. It's probably a descent grill as other have restored them from yard sales. The price seems too high. The biggest issue is the clay and high heat. Plus they are prone to cracking especially if they've been neglected to poor outdoor conditions. (Humidity/Rain) Cool cookers but definitely a huge risk and much caution.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:
    No problem. It's probably a descent grill as other have restored them from yard sales. The price seems too high. The biggest issue is the clay and high heat. Plus they are prone to cracking especially if they've been neglected to poor outdoor conditions. (Humidity/Rain) Cool cookers but definitely a huge risk and caution.  =)
    i don't think it would even be able to be used year round here, not in the winters anyways. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    these things were typically painted to help with water infiltration.  they are terra cotta, so that can be an issue.

you can take them above 350, just not nuclear. like, not for 900 degree neapolitan pizza

i mean, people grilled steaks and burgers on these didn't they?

but yeah, not as durable in the weather as the refractory ceramic that BGE uses.  i'd think you could run these puppies around 500-600 no issue.  keep them from freeze thaw, don't let them get sodden with extended rain and then light them up.

they are essentially made from what chimineas are made from (the cheaper kind).  and those things certainly see temps higher than 350.  but they have serious long-term  issues with weather and freeze/thaw too.

keep it dry and don't go crazy, and you'd be fine.

check for any existing cracks though

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Have you ever seen an old chiminea? They flake and fall apart.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.