Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought my third dome thermometer for my LBGE...

Options
I have an AR and a rig extender that I use almost all the time and when Im done cooking I put the ceramic cap back on and put the DW inside the egg. First time I noticed my thermometer wasnt working properly and I tried to take it out I realized the stem was bent. A bent stem completely ruins the thermometer, needle sticks and jumps around when you tap the face. I replaced it with the tel true, which took forever to come in when I ordered it. I had been swapping the thermometer back and forth between MM and LBGE depending on cooks. Finally it came in and it has a 1" longer stem. Well Saturday I was cooking wings and had both eggs going and noticed that I couldnt get a good temp reading on the tel tru so I tried to remove it and sure enough the stem was bent. I realize now that if i dont put the DW far enough back when I shut the lid with the rig extender on the stem hits the DW and the lid is heavy enough to bend it. Just left my local dealer with my third thermometer, #BGEP

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Do you leave the retaining clip off?
    edited September 2015
    Options

My DFMT  is kept indoors on my bakers rack o egg toys.  I mainly use a smokeware cap (for low&slows)  I'm surprised my Boston Butt didn't hit the thermo  when I had the butt atop the AR extender during my first pork cook.

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Drill a hole through a wine cork lengthwise. Slide cork onto thermo stem cut the cork to length so only about 1-1.5" protrudes into the dome. Use caution closing the dome and 'feel' if the thermo is going to contact the stuff inside or, leave off the corked thermo, close the dome then insert the thermo.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Ok help me out @nolaegghead I had the retaining clip on, should I leave it off? and why? @berndcrisp i thought about the wine cork, does external temp of egg cause issues with cork? Fire hazard?

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2015
    Options

The external temp in not high enough to cause problems with the cork. I have been doing it this way for 5 years without a problem. No retaining clip needed as the dome doesn't swing to a position where the thermo will fall. Toss the clip into the 'not needed' drawer.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    the tel tru 2.5 inch stem reads a little under 15 percent low on the reading. if you can do simple math an add ten percent to the dome reading your good to go. i like the shorter stem better and the math is simple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you remove the clip, the thermometer will more than likely just be pushed out if it hits your food rather than bend.  And as berndcrisp says, it won't fall out opening the lid.
    Options
    You can take the retaining clip and place it on the outside of the dome to prop up the thermometer so you don't have so much stem inside of the dome
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    what @WeberWho? said:

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I use my clip as a spacer for the mm drip pan. 
  • swordsmn
    Options
    tz666 said:
    Ok help me out @nolaegghead I had the retaining clip on, should I leave it off? and why? @berndcrisp i thought about the wine cork, does external temp of egg cause issues with cork? Fire hazard?

You could always soak your cork  :-)
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I like the clip outside, thats why I come here. This place is full genius.

• nolaegghead
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You could have a low bias on your reading with enough stem outside the dome.  And a cork, because it insulates, may mitigate that bias.  Or you could do math, or adjust the calibration.

This is all supposition as most calibration instructions call for 2" of stem in the boiling water.

edit: Not that anything I said above would make a rat's ass worth of difference.  Dome temp isn't that important as long as you're in the ball park.  Not bending your stem is important.
    Options
    Leave the clip off completely.  That way you can rotate the thermometer so your target temp is in the 12:00 position.  Makes it really easy to look outside and make sure your temp is still where it needs to be.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    im sticking with the 2.5 inch stem, bent too many 4s and 5s, usually with the dutch but sometimes it happens and i find it bent later. its as easy an adjustment as figuring out the tip at dinner and for the tech savy that really on things that do it for you without thinking, theres apps for that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    You could have a low bias on your reading with enough stem outside the dome.  And a cork, because it insulates, may mitigate that bias.  Or you could do math, or adjust the calibration.

on late night several pours into a Canadian Club Small Batch bottle.  All that chalk added up to..........Small batch ain't bad given it's 12 year old and reasonably priced............... lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.