Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket for the Office

Options
We were having a going away lunch for one of our contractors and I was asked to bring a brisket.  It was a 15 pound choice packer, prepared with Dizzy Pig coarse grind Dizzy Dust.  Smoked at 225 degrees with a few chunks of cherry wood mixed in with the Rockwood charcoal.  It took a little over 22 hours to get to "like butter" consistency.  Went fast with lots of compliments.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    "Went fast with lots of compliments."

No doubt.  I suspect this won't be the last time you are asked to bring brisket to work.  That looks awesome.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks awesome.

Man, that 15 pounder looks tiny on that XL!

Did you have to add lump or did it make it the full 22 hours?   Low an slow, can't beat it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I was using rockwood charcoal and at 225 had over two thirds left after 22 hours.  I've gone as long as 27 hours on some other larger briskets and still had at least a third left.  The XL is extremely efficient on low and slows.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    That's awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks awesome,  but I can't wait 22 hours for brisket to get done, that's why I like smoking at 250 to 275.  Pound an hour to me is just fine.  @dlk7, you have more patience then me.  I agree that the XL is efficient when doing low & slows and I usually have a lot leftover on a long cook. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.