Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for pizza setup!?

Options
A31unit
A31unit Posts: 199
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
I want to do pizza for the first time on by Large BGE.  I have a plate setter woo 2 bought from the ceramic grill store.  I was checking their website and see that they sell an extender that you can put a 16" pizza stone on top of to get high in the dome.  I have also read many simply put a pizza stone of some size on top of the factory grate at around gasket level.  What setups do you use and why?  Thanks
LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I use Plate setter legs down, then place rolled up tin foil balls on top of plate setter to give me about an inch of gap between top of PS and pizza stone.  I ensure I pre heat the egg for about 45 - 60 minutes and use a laser temp gauge to ensure pizza stone is 600-700*.  Pizza takes anywhere from 7-10 minutes for me.  Never tried any other setups cause this just works for me.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Monty77 if that flicker photo in your signature of the arugula pizza is any indication I think I should be listening to you!  That looks awsome!  In your comments for that pizza it says that you cooked it for 20 min at 400 but in your comment above you say that you do 600-700??  Please clarify
    what size stone do you use with this setup and do you have trouble with it moving on the tinfoil balls?
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    @A31unit The photo you refer to was a store bought formed thin crust, I did not want to burn the crust before steaming those tomatoes and melting the cheese so it was cooked at the lower temp for longer time.  When I am working with fresh dough, forming my own shape and size, I prefer the higher temps to get a nice crust and rise on the pizza.  The tin foil balls are rolled and flattened on a hard surface to provide a stable surface for the pizza stone to sit, small bricks or ceramic feet would also suffice, mine are just cheap and easy to create and use.  I use a BGE large pizza stone for my pies
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Try to get the stone as far up in the dome as you can. Firebricks can be used to get up higher in dome.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • jimithing
    Options
    Try to get the stone as far up in the dome as you can. Firebricks can be used to get up higher in dome.
    This is what I was going to say.  Pizza stone as high as you can get it so the heat reflects off the dome.  I use my AR - put the oval grate on top and then my stone on top of that.  You're aiming for a dome temp of around 500-550.  Don't go nuclear, you'll just end up with burned crust.  Let the stone preheat with the rest of the grill for at least 15-20 minutes.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • dieseldare
    Options
    This is a pizza I made last week.  I go plate setting legs down.  The regular grid, then the stone on top of that.  I cook mine anywhere from 450 to 500.

I tried going hotter, but the crust kept burning.  Tried lots of different crusts recipes and temps.  This is just my sweet spot for the moment.
  • A31unit
    Options

I am probably gonna do a 15 or 16" pizza stone on top of a grid extender.  That will put it up approx. 3.5-4" above gasket level. 

Would  I want to use my platesetter In this set up with the pizza stone?

I was told by the Ceramic grill store that if I use the platesetter underneath I should not go with a 15 or 16" pizza stone.  I should use 13" max.

He also said if I go with no platesetter in the rig I could go 15 or 16" on the pizza stone.

I have lack of experience here so If anybody could chime in to help me see and understand.  Thanks

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Why only 13" stone with placesetter?
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    A31unit said:

I am probably gonna do a 15 or 16" pizza stone on top of a grid extender.  That will put it up approx. 3.5-4" above gasket level. 

I was told by the Ceramic grill store that if I use the platesetter underneath I should not go with a 15 or 16" pizza stone.  I should use 13" max.

He also said if I go with no platesetter in the rig I could go 15 or 16" on the pizza stone.

I have lack of experience here so If anybody could chime in to help me see and understand.  Thanks

This had me worried for a minute because I just ordered a 17" stone for my BGE specifically for making pizzas.  What they told me was that you don't want the pizza stone to be wider (in diameter) than the platesetter, which in my case, a 17" stone would work fine.  I guess this all depends on the size of your heat deflector (ie. platesetter or other stone).
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • A31unit
    Options

@tier1terrier I think the platesetter diameter is to be measured the center (circular) part only.  I guess that's why I was told not to go with anything larger than a 13" stone if I WAS using the platesetter in my LBGE.

If I don't use the platesetter then I can use a 16 or 17" stone.  It will be over a direct fire, however higher into the dome.  Don't know how that would work out but I am thoroughly confused.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A31unit said:

With the bottom photo as reference, slide a pizza pan on the cooking grid below your pizza stone. This will block direct heat and direct it up in the dome.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • A31unit
    Options
    @Photo Egg You are a genius!  I don't know why I didn't think of that before.  I actually have a 16"ss drip pan I bought with my pswoo2!! 

I think that will fit on top of my grid below the pizza stone.
    So if we know that the drip pan is 16" should I go 15" or 16" when I buy the pizza stone?  Or won't it really matter?
    Thanks