Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need suggestions on a good gluten-free (wheat allergy) pizza dough

Options
EggHead_Bubba
EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
Actually I only have a wheat allergy so technically I'm looking for a good pizza dough that is wheat free. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    Not really a dough, but it was something I came up with as a substitute - Portobello Mushroom Caps.

Idea was adapted from English Muffin Pizzas my mom used to make when I was a kid, except you roast mushroom caps for about 20 minutes with herbs and seasonings of your choice, then add pizza sauce, toppings and cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.

My wife loves them, and her grandmother has shared that recipe within their circles.

Hope that helps,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Interesting idea, thanks for sharing. I may try that sometime down the road but really looking for traditional pizza dough first.

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill makes a pizza dough mix - I know we've used some of their other mixes and have always been pleased with the results.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-pizza-crust-mix.html

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I made a cauliflower crust pie a couple of years ago. It was very healthy and it wasn't awful... but it also wasn't pizza. I haven't tried one since. Kale, onions, shiitake mushrooms and cheddar as I recall.
    http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think @NPHuskerFL makes a gluten free crust if I remember correctly.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think @NPHuskerFL makes a gluten free crust if I remember correctly.
    Made a Paleo pizza on several occasions. They're good but, I'll always prefer good ole high gluten. 
    Here's some solid links to get you started...
    http://againstallgrain.com/
    http://againstallgrain.com/2012/08/07/meat-lovers-pizza/

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks everyone! My wife picked up some Bob's Red Mill at the store tonight. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What, no cauliflower?! :lol: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @EggHead_Bubba my local Kroger and whole foods carry Glutino gluten free dough. Enough for 3 decent size pies for around $5-6. My wife prefers not to eat gluten and I actually really like the taste of this dough so I eat it now too. 

One thing--let it proof before you try to separate it--the directions are very misleading. You will have quite the time getting that crap off your hands if you don't (so I heard :anguished: )
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks @Walt2015... another one to give a try! Appreciate it.

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @EggHead_Bubba let me know how the bob's red mill is. I'll be waiting on the picture :bring_it: 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,092
    Options
    We use Udi's premade crusts.  They turn out decent and taste pretty good.  I've been meaning to try making some from Red Mill.  I've use that for pancakes and stuff.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    @EggHead_Bubba let me know how the bob's red mill is. I'll be waiting on the picture :bring_it: 
    I'll be sure and do that. It won't be a real exciting pie since my toppings are pretty basic.  :)

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac... we buy Udi's muffins which are really good. Never tried their crusts. Good to have options!

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    We use the Live G Free brand sold at Aldi.  One box makes about 4 personal pizzas. I even freeze the dough balls. Here's a pic I think it's $2.99 at Aldi. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    I've tried a number of GF pizza crusts. I tried the cauliflower crust. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't pizza. So far, I have liked the King Arthur mix the best. But none of them have real pizza crust - not the flavor or the crunchy chewy texture. Maybe someday.
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Posted this in the EggHead forum... first pizza attempt didn't turn out well.

Made two pies, the first used a dough ball purchased at Whole Foods. Took the dough straight from the fridge to the counter and it was impossible to stretch into any semblance of a pie. I have since learned it needed to sit at room temperature for a few hours before trying to stretch it. Anyway, my wife finally took the remainder of the dough and made a small pie that was round at least. The BGE had stabilized at 500° and the CI pizza "stone" seemed ready after a 30 minutes at that temp. 

I put my wife's crust only on the stone to pre-cook it since she likes crispy crust. After a couple about 3 minutes I flipped it and then did about a minute on the other side. I brought it in and she added sauce and toppings to the side that cooked 3 minutes. Took the pizza back out and cooked it for about 3 minutes and the crust was on the verge of too done. Cheese was melted but not completely the way she likes it. Plus the crust had risen when pre-cooked and was too thick. She like thin and crispy and it was not. 

My pizza was next and it was made with Bob's Red Mill Pizza mix. The dough was extremely hard to work with. The instructions say to use wet hands to work with it and that's the truth. At any rate, it ended up about the same, too thick but charred and not completely cooked through.

Pizza was a challenge last night but I'm sure I must be doing something wrong and will learn from experience.

• Smokinator
    Options
    We have tried several types. Our favorite so far is the Chebe pizza crust. 
    http://www.chebe.com/products/pizza-crust-mix-8-pack-case-7-5-oz-per-package
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    King Arthur Flour has a GF pizza mix.
    Read info on their Web site for tips as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tailg8ers
    Options
    Have family w/ celiac's and several good friends w/it as well - we've tried lots of different GF alternatives - if you have a Fresh Market near - or go online and order from Williams and Sonoma - the C4C (cup 4 cup) brand of GF flour and/or the pizza dough mix they make is great!  it's a blend of different non-wheat/GF flours. 
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • BeecaveKitchen
    Options
    I had to share- Cup 4 Cup GF flour is the BEST!!!! I've tried them all and it's hands down the winner.
    http://beecavekitchen.blogspot.com/2015/09/gluten-free-pizza-on-big-green-egg.html

• @BeecaveKitchen that looks pretty good...couple questions...did it taste like beer at all?  Did it get brown / crispy on the bottom?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Sorry to bump an older thread...but I wanted to add that we tried the cup 4 cup pizza crust mix tonight and it was by far the best gluten free crust we have done. Most of the others have been gritty and tough to get crispy... This one cooked and tasted just like the non GF alternatives. Swmbo is celiac and we had all but given up on egg pizza when we came across thus suggestion. She isn't much on beer so I stuck close to the package directions except cooking on the egg. I got the egg to a stable 500 with the stone, par cooked in a pan for 10 minutes then removed the pan and added toppings cooking right on the stone for another 10...

Needless to say it was a home run.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...