Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

App Happy Today

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Relatives of mine have been desperate to come over and sample some BGE foods.  I got them over today and when I had asked them what they wanted to try, and they said as much as possible.  LOL, they just made my day.  So here we go...

First up were Wings on the XL, washed and dried and left in the fridge uncovered for 12 hours, dusted with Dizzy Dust and corn starch, cooked at 400* indirect with Cherry and Pecan chips for smoke.  Spritzed every 10 minutes with apple juice, and cooked for 60 minutes until they looked and felt ready.  Removed and served with 4 different dipping sauces.  Most just enjoyed them natural though.  

Next off courtesy of the Mini Max was grilled Pineapple, half the pineapple dusted with Pineapple Head fro DP, the other half with John Henry Honey Raspberry Rub , grilled direct for about 20 minutes, with a flip for the last 5 minutes flesh down.  

The Large Egg was busy making corn bread, It cooked for 25 minutes at 350*.  Once it was ready to come off, It rested for a few minutes on a cooling rack and was then introduced to the crowd.  

Next was my Spicy Chicken Cedar Planked Nachos, two layers of scoops, fresh cooked and diced butcher bacon, cooked and diced chicken breasts marinated overnight in Anchor Bar medium Buffalo sauce, green peppers, diced onion, tex mex cheese mix dusted with Swamp Venom.   They cooked direct on the large at 400* for 17 minutes until the cheese was just right, garnished with fresh green onion and served with salsa and sour cream.  

Finished up the Appy Hour and took a rest with a fall favourite of mine...

No one left hungry and I am pretty sure they enjoyed their first Eggsperience.  We already made plans for the next visit, ABT's, moink balls, goat cheese bruschetta, and bacon wrapped onion rings...

Good night all,

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

You win!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Grand slam right there brother!!  Outstanding grub and post!  Please invite me next time!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    That looks great. Well done. Sadly I thought app meant phone apps before I opened this thread. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It all looks great- especially those nachos.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man....all looks great....and with a Sam Octoberfest to boot? My kind of afternoon.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lewisj82
    Options
    That stuff looks great! What temp was the pineapple cooked at?

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Monty77
    Options
    lewisj82 said:

The Pineapple was cooked at 375*
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• lewisj82
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    lewisj82 said:

The Pineapple was cooked at 375*
    Thanks for the info! That's something I've been wanting to try.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Those nachos look amazing!
    Carrollton, Va
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice. I'm gonna have to try those planked nachos.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• johnl350
    Options
    That's some great looking apps right there. What shape is the cutting board that the pineapple is on? Looks interesting 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Awesome cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Monty77
    Options
    johnl350 said:
    That's some great looking apps right there. What shape is the cutting board that the pineapple is on? Looks interesting 
    Here you go @johnl350, I purchased this in Maui a few years back, made of bamboo and in the shape of a Honu (Sea Turtle).  I think its neat and makes a nice platter for my grilled Pineapple

Honu.jpg 736.1K

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Holy TOLEDO, what an amazing spread!  I'm in awe!

I've never cooked chicken wings, so this is probably a dumb question, but you went to some trouble to make the skin crispy (drying them, corn starch) but then spritzed them.  As a guy who's never done it, that seems like it would make them wet again, and again.  If you're going to spritz them, does the drying and corn starch make any difference, and if you did the drying and the corn starch, if you didn't spritz them would they be dried out or something?

I love chicken wings, but my wife isn't a fan, and somehow I've never done them just for myself.  But one of these days, hopefully I will.  I'm just curious about how to do them.

Thanks!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Great set of apps, looks wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Monty77
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Holy TOLEDO, what an amazing spread!  I'm in awe!

I've never cooked chicken wings, so this is probably a dumb question, but you went to some trouble to make the skin crispy (drying them, corn starch) but then spritzed them.  As a guy who's never done it, that seems like it would make them wet again, and again.  If you're going to spritz them, does the drying and corn starch make any difference, and if you did the drying and the corn starch, if you didn't spritz them would they be dried out or something?

I love chicken wings, but my wife isn't a fan, and somehow I've never done them just for myself.  But one of these days, hopefully I will.  I'm just curious about how to do them.

Thanks!
    Great question @Theophan, I make my wings in a few different fashions depending on the result I am looking for.   In this case I went with the spritzing because the sugar in the apple juice will add some sweetness to the wing and also give them a mahogany colour during the cook.  Since the skin was dried out in the fridge and the rub and corn starch are already stuck on, I do not find the juice affects the crispness of the skin in a negative way.  In my opinion the high heat in the dome and the evaporation of the juices seems to add to the crispness while adding layers of flavours to the wing.  Keep in mind, I am not soaking the wing, just a couple misting bottle sprays across the wings to make them glisten and sizzle.  I really wouldn't worry about drying a wing out in the Egg, I have cooked them anywhere from 198-215* internal and they are always juicy and fall of the bone tender.  

This batch I wanted the guest to taste the wings with just the smoke and subtle flavours from the Egg without the addition of sauce during the cook.  If I were to sauce them, I would cook for the 50 - 60 minutes, remove, toss in my fav sauce, and place back on the egg for another 10-15 to set the sauce.  

Wings are amazing cooked in the Egg, I would suggest you give it a go sometime, you will wish you had made them sooner.   If you were to ask the question of how Eggers cook their wings, you will get a ton of different and excellent methods.  Through experimentations, forum readings, Eggfest chats, and many attempts, I have found a few ways I confident will produce the kinds of wings I enjoy with friends and family.

Happy Eggin 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    ... Since the skin was dried out in the fridge and the rub and corn starch are already stuck on, I do not find the juice affects the crispness of the skin in a negative way.  In my opinion the high heat in the dome and the evaporation of the juices seems to add to the crispness while adding layers of flavours to the wing....
    I hate to be lazy, but do you think there'd be much difference without the 12 hour uncovered drying in the fridge, but everything else was the same?  I'll have to try them one of the days.  Thanks again!
  • Monty77
    Options
    @Theophan, The longer you can give the skin to dry the better, I have done a 1 hour drying when time was tight to days like yesterday when I was able to give them 12 hours.  It will help the skin become more crisp, too fresh out of the package and you get rubbery skin, still tasty, just not want what I would want in a wing.

Don't be afraid to experiment and find what suits you, I actually enjoy BGE wings more than deep fried now, but thats just me!   

• byrne092
    Options
    Nicely done sir! SA Oktoberfest is one of my favorites too
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    Sweet looking eats! 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin