Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket failure. Help!

Options
phil28
phil28 Posts: 42
I'm new to using the BGE at lower temps, and today slow cooked a brisket at 250 degrees for 6 hrs using Dr BBQ's recipe here. 4 hrs on one side, 2 on the other. I then went to wrap in foil and add liquid coffee for another 2 hrs. But I took the temp of the brisket first, and while it should have been around 160 based on the recipe it was 205! Yes, I should have monitored the temperature earlier. The biscuit is 7 pounds, a normal cut, although I cooked half of it, cut perpendicular to the slab, so I assumed cooking time should be the same. Any suggestions? I intend to calibrate the BGE thermometer, but it's relatively new and has been accurate so far. The temperature in the dome does not seem to be that high by sense. Appreciate any feedback (other than go to In'N Out for dinner).

Comments

• Tettletime
    Options
    The short answer is that all cows are different. I've had 12 lb packers finish in less than 8 hrs and other 12 lb packers take 15 hrs. You can't predict how long the stall will last, unfortunately. Good Luck.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    6 yrs egging and you're new to L&S?  I'm familiar with the recipe you've described. When I did it like this I did not flip it etc nor did I wrap except for FTC & then added a shot of black coffee and the cut I smoked was a flat only (not packer).  Considering you're not a newbie I think you already know on a cut like this you're checking for doneness using both IT and probe resistance (buttuh). 
    You've described a 7# brisket and smoked at 250℉ 4 hrs one side then flipped and 2 hrs the other side?  Packer or Flat?  How did it probe on doneness? Any pics of said brisket?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Ok maybe I am misunderstanding so please forgive if so - but did you say this was a 7 pound flat, and you cut and cooked half of it, so 3.5 pounds of meat?
    New Orleans LA
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    You had me at 7 lb biscuit...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• phil28
    Options
    Apple auto correct :) brisket
  • phil28
    Options
    7 lb flat cut - cut in half to a 3.5 pound piece. Final outcome was edible but somewhat dry, as you might expect with internal temp finishing at 210 degrees. I guess too many variables not to check temp along the way. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    3.5 pounds of brisket (or biscuit :) ) is going to cook in a LOT less time than 7 pounds would. Glad it was edible though. You probably want to cut your times way back when you try the second half. 
    New Orleans LA
  • phil28
    Options
    Thanks. Is that true that if you have say a slab of meat 12" x 12" x 1" thick, it will require a longer cooking time than if the size was 12 x 6 x 1 on a BGE at the same 250 degree temp? I would think the time is the same because the thicknesses are the same.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Somewhat.  That's the sausage analogy - 6" of sausage cooks the same as 12" or 18". 

Small flats can be challenging to cook.  You have to keep an eye on them and pull them when they're done - they will overcook fast.  The window is narrow with a smaller cut.  They are a ideal for "boiling" (braising - I'm messing with Travis).

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1

edited September 2015
    Options
    @phil28: I had to laugh about Apple auto-correct, It drove me crazy!!!! Here's the fix I got from Google. Click on the keyboard icon on the very top of the screen (just before the Volume icon on my iMac), Click on Open Keyboard Preferences, click on Text, and uncheck auto-correct.

@Dongdc: I just cooked a 3.5-lb. flat at 250° for 6 hours and it was only at about 175 or 180°--at 10:30 at night. So I gave up, let it cool down, and refrigerated it wrapped in foil. The next day I put it in the countertop oven at 300° for 2 hours with foil open and it was finally done. I didn't even bother with the temperature, just used a fork. And it was good! No one can predict a brisket's temprament!
    Judy in San Diego
  • phil28
    Options
    Thanks. I go back and forth with this "feature"