Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Game Day RIBS....

Options
I wanted to do some Snake River Farms Baby Back Ribs for game day but they have been sold out for weeks. So I went instead to a local grocery butcher and got these monsters! Three slabs of Baby Backs weighed 9.78lbs before the cook. :o  I don't usually like for them to be that big....but I was excited.

I set the BGE at 225+ and added Peach and Pecan chunks for my smoke. I rubbed the ribs with John Henry Pecan Rub and a top layer of RunninWild Peach rub to compliment the woods then drizzled them with honey. I added the Ribs, uncovered for 2 hours.....Then I pulled and wrapped them for an hour 1/2.....then unwrapped again for about 30 minutes. I always shut the BGE down completely when I place them on for the last 30 minute period....the temp stays well above 200*.

I know that many people like a 2-2-1 method but I prefer a 4 hour total cook time.

Lessons Learned: I will stay away from Ribs this large in the future. The discrepancy between the very thick end and the much thinner end makes it too hard to cook evenly. The center 70% of the racks were great....but the thick side was a bit tough and the thin end was a bit dry. 

I paired them with a 2001 Monbousquet Bordeaux.....now THAT was GREAT! 

But all in all....Very good. Go Dawgs! 

Ribs Just Added.....

Resting....you can see where the one in the back went slightly past the platesetter and got a bit of direct heat.

You can't see it here very well but they had a nice smoke ring.....

Cut and ready for the table!

Perfect Pairing! 

Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    They look great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Most eggcellent cook.  Regarding the thick to thin run...Looks like you had the thickest part to the back (good call as the BGE runs hotter back there).  I am a believer in foil wrapping any overly thin sections of attached meat (ribs, brisket come to mind) to try and get the elusive even cook times.  Does it work...helps.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    They look awesome ..Great pics. What I have done with big baby backs is spritz every hour..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Thanks! @lousubcap - I hadn't thought about keeping the thinner parts wrapped after I unwrapped the rest....good idea. I'll give that a try.

@johnmitchell - I totally agree but I was out of apple juice which is what I usually spritz with (90% apple juice/10% apple cider vinegar)....I should have not been lazy and gone to the store when I realized it.....but the football was just too good! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2