Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slows

Options
Big A
Big A Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone please tell me what type of meats you cook low and slow(and I am assuming low and slow means about 225 to 250 degrees).

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ash,[p]I might be easier to list the things not barbecued :) Things like pork loin, steaks, burgers, some chicken, lamb, seafood & shellfish are usually cooked with roasting or higher temperatures.[p]I use barbecue temperatures on butts, ribs (belly, back & country), briskets, beef ribs, shanks, fatties, chicken thighs, prime rib, some beef roasts, and smoked fish. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ash,
    Low and slow works well on cuts of meat that are have connective tissue and fat. So beef brisket and pork butt are two cuts you would do low and slow.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    Options
    Ash,
    It's very difficult to mess a pork butt, they are so delicious when pulling them apart good luck Jason

• Big A
    Big A Posts: 4
    Options
    thirdeye, forgive my ignorance, but could you please tell me what is degree is roasting temps and bbq temps? thanks.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Ash,
    lets answer the question..
    " Things like pork loin, steaks, burgers, some chicken, lamb, seafood & shellfish are usually cooked with roasting or higher temperatures."[p]Items like the above, dome temp 300 and higher.[p]Long slow cooks, dome temp 225 to 300. [p]I for one may use both on 1 item

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ash,[p]One traditional school of thought will say barbecue is between 185° and 225° period. At these low temps, the heat can be conducted into the center of fattier meats without drying out the edges and rendering the product tender over time. I guess I extend the upper temp to around 260° or 270°. Roasting is >275° to say 400°. Broiling is >450° to 900°. All of these are using dry heat.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery