Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT: Spaghetti Carbonara

Options
Cooked pasta and kept some water for the sauce. 

Mixed 3 egg yolks per portion with roughly the same amount of cream, a good ammount of freshly grated parmesan cheese, freshly ground pepper and 3 tablespoons of water from the pasta.

In the same pot that I used to cook the pasta, I chopped and fried some homemade bacon that I made on the egg a while ago.  There was not enough fat so I added some butter.  I removed the pot from the fire and tossed in the pasta and the sauce and mixed everything thoroughly.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Delicious! :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,338
    Options
    @paqman-you never cease to amaze me.  I was fortunate enough to spend a couple of years in Italy and spaghetti carbonara was my favourite (tilt to the GWN) pasta.  Topped the sambuca and gelato for sure.  Most eggcellent.  Dang.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @lousubcap Wife & I were just discussing if we relocated outside the US it would be near Palermo Sicily. In a nanosecond. Beautiful place, food is impeccable, people are friendly and the scenery is positively gorgeous.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Love carbonara, but I've found it tricky to get the sauce silky and not dry.  I don't recall seeing cream in the recipe before, will have to give that a try; thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• byrne092
    Options
    Carbonara with homemade bacon...yes please!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    Yum yum, get me some!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Grillinois
    Options
    Sounds absolutely fantastic!  Need to give this a try. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Botch Cream is not part of traditional recipes.  In fact, Italians would probably not consider it as a true carbonara, @lousubcap will probably be able to confirm...  Believe it or not, it was my first time making carbonara from scratch and it won't be the last.  In the past, I was using Alfredo sauce with some bacon...

Options
    @paqman- We are talking more than 35 years ago so I will endorse this as a true carbonara especially with the homemade bacon and I assure you my memory doesn't count.  I don't recall how the locals made the "sauce" but the Italian milk behaved a whole lot different than what I was used to.  I have never had it with the true thick bacon on this side of the Atlantic. 
    You nailed it- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Wow. That just brought back a memory of a hotel in Rota, Spain that would make that dish for me.

A perfect moment in time that once was my life.
    Gittin' there...
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Love Carbonera
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I was stationed is Naples Italy for 3 years. I loved the Carbonara. In Naples it was a more dry consistency and in Sicily it had a lot of sauce on it. The locals used Parmalat (UHT Milk) in the sauce.  I make it usually at Christmas time and use heavy Whipping cream. @paqman looking at your pic, you nailed it !! 
    Danville, Il