Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT : Why so many OT postings? (Pun Intended)

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166

terrorist attacks since 1970

Notice the little blimp in the black dotted line at 2001. That little bump represents +/- 3000 American lives ended by Radical Muslim Extremists. 

Nice chart if you're trying to trivialize the deaths of thousands of innocent people.  :|
    Dude, the Y axis is "Number of Attacks".  For f*cks sake, I'm not trying to trivialize 9/11 - it was terrible.
    I can read the chart @nolaegghead
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited September 2015
    henapple said:
    The sentiment or belief that radical Islam isn't a threat to anyone's life here in the States may be statistically founded. There is a far greater threat in other countries. Is it possible that by only concentrating on our worries and stats we ignore others that are different from us and in different countries. Xenophobia? American nationalism? White privilege? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/15/opinion/obeidallah-al-qaeda-hypocrisy/

On the other hand we have the number one killer of Muslims...... Muslims. Again, I guess if we're safe it doesn't matter. I mean, if the left is correct and there are only a handful of terrorist we'll probably be OK..... But I'll be damned if that handful of radical Muslims aren't busy as hell. 

I think the point is simply that most Americans have been conditioned to believe it is a much bigger threat than it actually is, at least within this country. It is one of the many things that helps to maintain the military-industrial complex.

The downside is that we seem to have a lot of bigotry directed at Muslims or just people whose skin happens to have a darker tint.  Not such a big deal if you're a WASP though so who cares, right?  Why should anyone care about the civil rights of a small minority getting trampled?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Damn, looks like you were in my yearbook. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    henapple said:
    The sentiment or belief that radical Islam isn't a threat to anyone's life here in the States may be statistically founded. There is a far greater threat in other countries. Is it possible that by only concentrating on our worries and stats we ignore others that are different from us and in different countries. Xenophobia? American nationalism? White privilege? 

On the other hand we have the number one killer of Muslims...... Muslims. Again, I guess if we're safe it doesn't matter. I mean, if the left is correct and there are only a handful of terrorist we'll probably be OK..... But I'll be damned if that handful of radical Muslims aren't busy as hell. 

I think the point is simply that most Americans have been conditioned to believe it is a much bigger threat than it actually is, at least within this country. It is one of the many things that helps to maintain the military-industrial complex.

The downside is that we seem to have a lot of bigotry directed at Muslims or just people whose skin happens to have a darker tint.  Not such a big deal if you're a WASP though so who cares, right?  Why should anyone care about the civil rights of a small minority getting trampled?  
    Who has had their rights trampled? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ok. I'm officially into the booze. Ready for a Friday funday. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Ok. I'm officially into the booze. Ready for a Friday funday. 
    That's not very controversial or extremist.
  • henapple said:
    henapple said:

Who has had their rights trampled? 
    http://bfy.tw/1rtJ
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Time for a Crown on the Rocks!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Alright alright alright.  Got a brand spankin' new bottle of bourbon.  Lemme prime the liver up and we'll commence trollbeastmode. 

Anyway. Gas is at an all time low around here. Since it was Obama's fault when it skyrocketed (from what I remember), he must be getting full credit for this. Right?  Or the fact the anyone with a 401k has enjoyed better returns than they ever had, during his Presidency. 

Hell. I don't mind imminent threat of immolation by jihadists as long as I have cheap gas and plenty of cash. 

Must make me a centrist. Only thing extremists (of either party) hate more than the direct opposition is some sh!thead who tries to findthe common ground. First thing we do is kill all the centrists!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What's cooler than being cool?

Ice cold!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Ok, I am out of Crown but I do have a bottle of Makers someone gave me!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • @Darby_Crenshaw the main characters in this thread know each other. I know a couple of them and As for the others, i plan on meeting they a$$es on oct 15 at Nola's house, bitche$. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I think he's trying to help poor Fred.
    Understood.  I was just failing with a joke apparently. Maybe I should have included the winking emoji.  Gotta sharpen up on the emoji usage.....but then again I'm not 12. 

Judging by your sense of humor I thought for sure you were 12.

Oh...SNAP! B)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    so you guys are doing this for the audience's benefit then. Got it 

FWIW you guys are amateurs. You need to revisit greeneggers ca. 1999-2007 to experience true acrimonious friendship. 

Have yet to see anyone here threaten to 'drop you where you stand' while also crying into their crown royal that they've never met finer people

Edit:  the thing most people never learn though is that they probably still feel this way towards republicans/democrats that they don't know. While throwing their arms around those they meet IRL. Which means it is quite possible the other republicans/democrats you don't know may not be as evil/stupid/ignorant/whatever either. 

But I have a feeling most aren't willing to grant any slack to those they do not know. Easier to hate those

Edit2: Eff steven. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• so you guys are doing this for the audience's benefit then. Got it 

FWIW you guys are amateurs. You need to revisit greeneggers ca. 1999-2007 to experience true acrimonious friendship. 

Have yet to see anyone here threaten to 'drop you where you stand' while also crying into their crown royal that they've never met finer people

By all means, lead the way.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    edited September 2015
    henapple said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw...

Amazing how people, who would otherwise enjoy each other's company, feel so free to express what is practically unbridled contempt for each other. . 
    I don't know any of you and will likely never meet any of you. I don't hold any of you or anybody else here in contempt (well...maybe except for that one guy). We just seem to disagree on some things.

It would be nice if everyone would keep it civil while disagreeing with each other but I guess we can blame it on the alcohol. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    And this thread is approaching escape velocity.  Time to strap-in for the ride.  Grab the adult beverages, sit back, relax and enjoy the show.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Bad news.  I have to pick up a friend from the airport at 23:00.  So I can't drink...much...until later.  :o
    Actually that's probably good news.
    so you guys are doing this for the audience's benefit then. Got it 

Edit:  the thing most people never learn though is that they probably still feel this way towards republicans/democrats that they don't know. While throwing their arms around those they meet IRL. Which means it is quite possible the other republicans/democrats you don't know may not be as evil/stupid/ignorant/whatever either. 

But I have a feeling most aren't willing to grant any slack to those they do not know. Easier to hate those

Edit2: Eff steven. 
    They even copied your dubbed Hitler video, it was epic.  :o
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Fred, it's indulgent to think our dicks need to be hanging out of our pants, erect, holding 6-shooters to be a super power.  That's simply idiotic to think, yet that seems to be some kind of mantra that gets repeated over and over.  We're weak because we showed restraint and actually talked to someone (diplomacy) without invading them first?  That's why our international approval rating went up when the hawks left office.
    im dressing up as a super power for Halloween 
  • henapple
    The Hitler video is overrated.... A 10 year old could do that. No imagination. 
  • nolaegghead
    Bad news.  I have to pick up a friend from the airport at 23:00.  So I can't drink...much...until later.  :o
    Call Über and get back to drinking. I need some entertainment 
  • henapple
    @Nolaegghead....... Keep your family off of the forum.