Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting LGE into table

Options
Hello there.  We just had a beautiful cedar table built for our LGE.  We now have to get it into the hole in the table.  Is there any conventional wisdom on the best way to do this?  We have a stone to set it on, and the table was measured to fit this EGG.  Just lift and do your best, or take it apart?  Any helpful tips would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Comments

• bigirish
    Options
    To avoid catastrophe, I decided to take mine apart.  It is just too easy to do vs. the alternative.  I think the whole process of getting the egg apart, out of the nest, into the table and back together again was about a half hour of time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My wife and took ours out and in like this:

take out fire box and ring
    use a ratcheting strap through top vent out bottom vent and behind the handle. 
    You can lift by hinge and handle

shes 5'4" buck 25. No issues. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Also, do yourself a favor and get a table nest to sit place the egg on. Air gap is the best insulator to ensure that your egg doesn't start your table on fire. Paver stones will eventually crack and may cause your table to burn. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    My wife and I put ours in without too much grief. We removed the guts of course. I set a wood box tall enough to where I could comfortably drop the egg into the hole, and where I could still get my hands into the bottom vent for lowering once it was on the box. From there I lifted the from the front and she from the back, knocked the box out of the way and lowered onto some ceramic feet on top of a paver. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I took mine apart when we moved last time and it made the process very easy, and reduced the risk of dropping anything.

my method, take egg apart, and using the lower vent as a hand hold - was able to 1 arm it into the table, while I used my other hand to steady the table/guide into place over the BGE ceramic feet.

reassemply only took maybe 15 minutes - so really, very little added effort.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I took the insides of mine out and had a couple of buddies come over. If I broke my eggs I would be devastated! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Any hungry neighborhood kids around???  Offer payment in the form of ribs or a pizza....  Works for me every time!  I've even recruited a couple of high school football players in to help!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    IMO you just take it apart, and then reassemble.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BIll-W221
    Options
    Where do you live ? Never know if there is a member near by who might be able to help.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pot lifters. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes:  Pot Lifters

No: Pot Stickers

I just opened the bottom vent, reached inside the egg and lifted from the vent hole while the lid rested on my shoulder. A buddy helped by lifting from the hinge assembly. Was relatively easy for the 2 of us.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Huh. I put my table on its side, put the egg in, and lifted the whole thing up.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Mine was all apart. I tried using the pot lifter for a test fit before finishing the table. It lifted the egg great, but it squeezed between the table and the egg. I didn't like how high you have to set the pot lifter on the egg. Pulling it out I reached through and grabbed it out the bottom vent.
    When the table was finished, I just grabbed the empty base with my forearms near the top and lifted/lowered it into place. Not something I would want to a lot of times, but it wasn't hard to do just the one time. Yes, that's the same area that the pot lifter would have the grab the base, but I can feel if the base is slipping out when lifting with the forearms.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mosca said:
    Huh. I put my table on its side, put the egg in, and lifted the whole thing up.
    I've seen that method suggested before, but didn't you still need a helper to lift it back up or do you just have a strong back?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Steve753
    Options
    I had a neighbor who was willing to help me lift the egg, so I did not take mine apart. It went in pretty smoothly.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Or do you know someone with an engine hoist?  Surely you know a shadetree mechanic somewhere....  Chain that puppy up and lift away.....

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• CaptMike
    Options
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSw3hNFyvnM
    I am going to make the rope handles, use a couple of NRS straps, and enlist Mama to try this method.  It looks pretty straight forward.  Thank you for all the input. 
  • leemschu
    Options
    I just took the guts out and easied it in. The hardest part is getting a hand back on the bottom once you get it going through the opening.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • PMG
    PMG Posts: 50
    Options
    I went to Harbor Frieght and purchased for $89 an engine lift!  Seems like an over kill BUT I plan on making tables for other people so it was worth the investment not to mention my back!  But check out the pics!  Both a large and an  extra large!  I can remove and replace anytime at will!  No worries!
  • PMG
    PMG Posts: 50
    Options
    @CaptMike here is my finished table!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options

I have the Pot Lifter. It does a great job. I also use it for moving my large Meyer lemon pot around on my deck. The Pot lifter is a great back saver.
  • CaptMike
    Options
    We just put it in.  I made four rope handles out of old rope, used one six foot NRS strap, and another made up of two three foot straps.  I took the guts out, and we lifted it in.  It was a piece of cake.  Surprisingly so.  We set it on a LGE table nest.  It was easy to adjust once in place.  The table is soaked from a couple of weeks of rain up here in Alaska.  Can't wait to get EGGing.  Thank you all for your comments.
  • CaptMike
    Options
    PMG, nice table.  All you need is a beer tap, and you would have all the elements needed for life.  
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great design and build.  What's the PVC tube for?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Holy hell! What a view!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options

That's what Me and my Wife us

Ross
  • phil28
    Options
    I had the same issue. How do I put in my BGE into a table I got from JJGeorge (See post above). I called SD Grill Pros 20 miles away.to ask. They are the best BGE dealer in all of San Diego county. I was astounded at their reply, considering I've only purchased accessories from them: "We are happy to come by and put the BGE in for you without a charge". Now that's great service!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'll bet the PVC is for an umbrella holder.....